Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stream video from PC to Kodi on Fire TV without running Kodi on PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently I'm streaming video from Kodi on PC to Kodi on FireTV using UPnP. It runs smoothly but the problem is that I have to run Kodi on PC during streaming. I was wondering if it's possible to stream videos from PC to Kodi on Fire TV without running Kodi on PC. Thanks!
Yeah, use SMB (wiki) or some other kind of file sharing (wiki).
Any protocol you use, samba, upnp, ftp, will require you to run a server.
There are other upnp servers if you don't want to use Kodi.
(2015-09-24, 20:59)wason92 Wrote: [ -> ]Any protocol you use, samba, upnp, ftp, will require you to run a server.
There are other upnp servers if you don't want to use Kodi.

Windows has a Samba server built in (the windows share functionality is compatible with it), so no additional server is needed. As the OP is sharing from Windows it makes the best sense to use that. Just put the files in a shared folder, and then point the Fire TV at that.
But that server is still required to run when he needs it.
It's always on, presuming you've actually shared the folders.
(2015-09-24, 21:44)wason92 Wrote: [ -> ]But that server is still required to run when he needs it.

Every modern desktop OS has one of those built-in. People have been using their desktops to serve media files to Kodi for years.
Buy a NAS. Or the cheap arse method, connect a HDD to any modern router and share files from there.