Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: what flavor linux for my needs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i have been using kodi on mac for a few years but i am almost clueless about linux.
i have been reading about linux/ubuntu and installed it on an old lap top for testing and have it and kodi working well.
i just picked up a chrome box and i need advice on what flavor of linux i should install.
ubuntu looks to be overkill but not sure if kodibuntu will meet my needs.

my goals are:
lite and fast small os version
kodi
web browser=opera or firefox
vpn=i use pia service
vnc= for my iPhone remote app to control lodi and the web browser
access to shared mac drives
optional: utorrent

one last question, will a 16gb ssd and 2gb ram be enough?

sorry for asking such basic questions but i want to start on the right foot.

thank you for any help and advice.
See the chromebox thread in the hw forum. This has been answered already (~ 50 times :-))
thanks for the reply.

i have read through the thread and search a few times. i will look again.
in my defense it does get a little overwhelming sorting through the info, but i understand your post.
will dig some more.
thanks again
I'll spare you a new set of reading glasses. Just install Openelec and be done with it.
@Soli

i was just reading your Post: #3402 in the chrome box threads about installing kodibuntu.

just when i think kodibuntu is the way to go you confuse the hell out of me.

a good web browser is a must as is vpn. from my reading openelect does not do a good job with these.

thanks for the reply
You write you are almost clueless about Linux, so I say go with Openelec. Someone made a nice chromium browser plugin over at openelec.tv that has HW accel.
o.k. i will read a bit more about openelec before i make a move.
thanks
Chromebox + openelec = perfection

imo, it would be a HUGE mistake to install kodibuntu or anything else. Yes you won't have a web browser, and yes you'll have to do all your file management either via the kodi file browser of via ssh. But still, use openelec, trust me.
(2015-09-28, 21:59)ilovethakush Wrote: [ -> ]Chromebox + openelec = perfection

imo, it would be a HUGE mistake to install kodibuntu or anything else. Yes you won't have a web browser, and yes you'll have to do all your file management either via the kodi file browser of via ssh. But still, use openelec, trust me.

There is a browser addon for OpenELEC.
thank you much for all the replies.

openelec would be the easy choice, i agree.

the web browser is the big issue. we subscribe to two sites that are flash only as far as i can tell.
i looked for you videos or other openelec/chromium users and can not find anything.

i see posts that say openelec has chromium but no user reviews.

as a last resort i can give it a try but that is not my first choice.

thank you again for all the advice.
Cmon man...

What do you mean by user reviews? There's a long thread over at openelec.tv.
Secondly if you're going to use flash on an celeron chromebox (which I assume is the one you have) , Openelec with the Chromium addon is your only choice as this is the only browser in the whole Linux world (except Android /ChromeOS) that has hardware acceleration of Flash! So Openelec is not only a choice, it's the only choice since without hw accel, the celeron chromebox isnt powerful enough, and I think even the i3-version wont be powerful enough either.
thanks soli
i have been re reading the [ADDON] CHROMIUM BROWSER - LATEST STABLE thread and see you have posted there a lot. i am on post 123 at the moment. this thread focuses on netflix and youtube so far so it is difficult to apply to my needs.

the hardware accel is new information for me. thanks for that!!

o.k. i am convinced, i think.

one last question which i admit i have not even looked into yet is vpn. i am guessing it is possible?

thank you again
Lubuntu. Super lightweight and fast.

I ran Openelec for quite a while, and it's a good solution, but I occasionally need a desktop environment so when I rebuilt my HTPC I went with Lubuntu for the OS. Isengard runs flawlessly. I also use the Pipelight plugin for Flash and Silverlight. If the content I want to watch isn't available through Kodi, I can drop back to the desktop, open my browser and go direct to the website and watch that way. And yes, I use a VPN from time to time without issue.

It's good to have options.
thank you for all the advice i am getting closer now.
it is still down to openelec or a mini install of l/ubuntu

i am still trying to sort a few more things.

soli's point about flash hd excel was a new one for me.
according to my research it does appear to be possible on ubuntu i think. it is difficult to follow.
the flash plugin for firefox does show hd excel or am i more confused than i even know?
this is an issue that needs sorting.

a question about openelec usage. from the videos i found it appears that to switch between kodi and chromium you must logout and in to the other unless you use chrome launcher. is that correct?

good flash playback in a browser is a must as is easy fast kodi/browser switching.

thank you all for for patience!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't KodiBuntu a modified Lubuntu install? I'm running HugeGreenBug's KodiBuntu build on a ChromeBox and it's great for all things Kodi (don't have to deal with ALSA/PulseAudio issues, VAAPI/MESA etc. already in the packages). Chrome installs nicely and streams Netflix/YouTube without issue (haven't tried other browsers).
Pages: 1 2