Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advanced Wake On Lan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
First time poster.
Long time user of Emby. I used to run Emby/ MediaBrower on an HTPC.
I tried XBMC back in the day, but never got to grips with it.
Was persuaded to try Kodi, and, combined with the new Emby and Mimic skin, have abandonned by HTPC and moved to Amazon Fire TV.

Was hoping you can all help with something:
My set up is that I have a WHS2011 server with all my media.
The FireTV is connected to it by wired connection through the router.
I have Advanced Wake On Lan installed as an add-on on Kodi.
It wakes the server up fine.

The problem is keeping the server awake.
I have, on the server, Lights Out installed, which is a monitoring piece of software which monitors my Windows devices and keeps the server awake when they are turned on. Lights Out has client and server side pieces of software.
They do not do a client side for Android yet.
Lights Out is configured to put the server into standby after 30 minutes.

So, AWOL on the firetv will take the server up, but not keep it awake.
I have tried the "keep sending WOL request" option in Advanced Settings, but this does not stop Lights Out from putting the server to sleep (though it does wake it up quickly, but that still causes interuption in teh video).
Also, because the fire tv never seems to actually turn itself fully off, it keeps sending the wake up even when asleep, which is not ideal.
Lights Out has a "monitor IP address" function as well, but for the same reason, that's not suitable: The fire TV registers as active even when asleep.

I could set up LIghts Out to not put the server to sleep, like, 2 hours after the WOL packet or something, but that's a bit arbitrary, doesn't allow for pausing, doesn't allow for long movies, etc.

So, the question is: Is anyone aware of how to set up either Kodi/ the fire tv or the WHS2011 server such that starting Kodi will wake it up, and putting the FireTV to sleep will allow the server to hibernate, but in the meantime, it's kept awake?

What do YOU all do?

I'm open to using alternative software to Lights Out.

Hope that was explained clearly.

Thanks