Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Netflix like skin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all
I recently got Netflix for my PS4 and must admit I do live the skin.
I like the fact that when you select a movie, in the background you get a short clip of the movie.
I wondered whether this is possible for XBMX at all?

Anyone have any thoughts whether this has been done or attempted yet?

thanks!!
Not possible to make any skins for XBMX

But I guess if you pay someone they will do it.
Apologies, I meant XBMC / KODI of course, loads of skins to download but not found one where there is video playing in background similar to Netflix.
Not aware of any, try the skin subforums http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67
Hi Maybe something like the cinema experience addon? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=87563
never played with it but it has options to play intro's like trailers ect
Thanks
Will have a look tonight Smile, I have the Cinema experience already, which only plays video once you select play.
The netflix version (at least on my ps4) differs by when highlighting a video, not only does the movie info sumamry show up but also about 10-15 seconds of the film in various parts, almost like a trailer. This usually plays in the background, when moving onto the next movie, the same happens again.
I just wondered whether there was a add-on for this.
Hi
In theory its doable, you would need to find a source of teaser trailers they normally run between 30 to 90 sec (editing trailers to suit would be time consuming Smile )
then instead of displaying fanart/poster image it plays the teaser trailer in the back ground...This will depend on if the program that displays the back ground images is able to handle the video extension.If so it might just be a simple matter of changing the scrip in skin's movie view of choice to play poster.mp4 if not display poster.jpg
Who know may have already been done have a look thought your preferred skin's message area's
Seems this will be (mostly) out of reach unless it's implemented natively in Kodi. by that I mean: implement some sort of high res GIF format, and have Kodi scanning the files and making these a few random clips available, or out random segments into 1 clip. (Kinda like the new moving picture feature of iOS9). Maybe someone could request that feature, or better: write it themselvesSmile
Gif format is already supported and has been reworked massively in current v16 https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7960

One example of what was being proposed was http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=152890 and http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=14101

SO things are moving along... But not quite ready for that.
That's cool and all.
When I wrote high res GIF, I might have been a little unclear. I should have written high res/definition/color. I mean, we're in 2015 and shouldn't be limited to 256 colors each frame. Animated png could be a candidate if it weren't for the fact that it's an uncompressed format. Maybe there already exists a widely supported animated picture format that supports 24bit with alpha that is suitable for both cases.
We are in 2k15 - we should not use GIF at all ...
There is apng (animated png) but not much supports that and you are mostly restricted to Linux for creating them.

Gifs are in no way restricted to 256 colors, full colors gfs are possible.

But Ill agree a little with fritsch, thought again the video fanart would be an alternative its has irreleavnt as anything at this moment as not much exists and would be specific to a given user.

Imagine now sites like tvdb and tmdb serving video fanart or something, they would go out of service in 1 hour if they would be that lucky.
Don't mistake hacky workarounds as actual support. GIFs are limited to 256 colors each frame and has 1bit alpha. You can use this to fake hi color by adding layers of animation with new color pallettes, but the picture will take time to load, and it's filesize will be at least the same, but upwards of 4-5x ,the size of png and render it useless. Anyways, for animated pictures, which is at the core of this OT discussion, it wouldn't work.

Since apng is now supported in mainline webkit, it has also been supported in OSX Safari since 8.0. Supported in iOS since 8.4. Firefox has supported it since 2007. There are widely availabe tools in all OS

The patch used in webkit uses the standard libpng, meaning it should be relatively easy to support it in Kodi as well since you don't need to use a patched libpng.
It could be quite a cool feature to use this as a basis of animated fanart, and animated stills for that netflix-esque experience.
None of that matters anywho its not supported in Kodi and where you going to make apng across all OS widely and simply?

I mean realistically speaking unless you do it now and everything is accepted into master you still haven't got a single usable animated fanart or poster in that format and since its community generated you need many volunteers doing all this stuff or a very productive 1 man band assuming you have in a years time a worthy enough database.

In Gif alone you have little to nothing never mind these random formats that never really took off.

Nice thought though, I dont see it happening as it been talked about many times and its going to remain that way for many years to come.
Didn't quite get what you're saying in the first sentence. Look, it seems you really want to argue, but I was merely answering the OP as why native support would be a better choice than implementing the netflix-esque feature as an addon.

When I first wrote "some sort of high res GIF format", I was implicitly refererring to the limitations of the original GIF format, hence the "some sort of". And then you stepped right in and yadda yadda we have gif support in jarvis! Things are progressing! Newsflash: Nobody is interestested in crappy GIF animations in the background when hovering over a movie title.

Then you go on with wrongful info about the GIF format. Newsflash2: we are not in the 90's anymore. GIF is good for 1 thing onlyConfusedpinning icons.

You are the only one here talking about the animated posters really. (Which you now incidentally seem less enthusiastic about compared to the "yay we are progressing" post earlier)

I am talking from a technical view, how to implement the Netflix-esque clips. If Kodi had implemented apng support or similar, then Kodi can make those clips on the fly using FFmpeg, no need for thetvdb.

In the end you're really arguing with yourself.

But from a general view, your thinking is also wrong. If everyone waited for everyone else, we wouldn't have progress.
Pages: 1 2