Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stream to TV - w/o touching TV remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to stream content from my Plex server onto my DLNA supported TV through my PC. I can browse my Plex server from the TV, but I would like to use the improved interface offered by Kodi (with the Plex add-on). I would also hope that this will enable me to display subtitles.

I am able to browse my Plex collection directly from my TV, but it is a cumbersome and slow interface. I want to be able to send a video to the TV directly from Kodi, like you can with Windows Media Player, meaning that the TV automatically picks up the the stream without having the use the TV remote to change the source. Ideally, Kodi could also transcoding the subtitles live (since subtitles are not supported by DLNA).

Anyway to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Kodi is not really a server for "smart" TVs. It's meant to be an interface used directly on your TV. That being said, there is some limited support for this, including subtitle support. See UPnP (wiki). However, the last time I tried to use UPnP to "beam" a show over to another UPnP/DLNA target, it wouldn't let me control it from Kodi (two way control). It still played, though.