Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySQL permission requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this has been asked before..

What grants are required on MySQL for Kodi to use it as the backend db?

The documentation just says to grant all on *.* which works but isn't exactly ideal as far as security goes.. esp if I want to access my content from outside of my home network. I have other databases on my server and there is no reason for Kodi to have any access to them. I tried to only do a grant all on MyVideos90.* and MyMusic48.* but it failed to retrieve the information on a restart.

Thanks.
I'm sure someone can pull up the specific requirements, but the easy method is to grant all just for the database creation that only happens once per major version (i.e., v12, v13, v14, etc). Then restrict it to only the database that gets created. The exact database name depends on what version of Kodi you are using, which can be seen here Database version (wiki).

The instructions are really only written the way they are to make it easy for people who haven't used MySQL before, and are only using it for Kodi. I wrote a good chunk of the guide and I haven't done anything with MySQL in years, so you probably know more than I do about it ;)
(2015-10-04, 09:48)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]grant all just for the database creation ... Then restrict it to only the database that gets created.

That's what this does. :-)

(2015-10-04, 08:59)thelastknowngod Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to only do a grant all on MyVideos90.* and MyMusic48.* but it failed to retrieve the information on a restart.

Thanks for the quick response. I figured it was mostly for people who have much fewer requirements. I'm sure I could dig through the debug logs but the documentation for Kodi has always seemed to be pretty complete. I just assumed it had to be documented somewhere..