Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot Start Kodi On Ubuntu 15.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have installed the latess version of Kodi on Ubuntu with Mate Desktop running on my VPS but when I enter the command kodi in the terminal, I got this:

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
*** Error in `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00000000035673f8 ***
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20151004_101018.log

Why this happen? It work before with Unity.

Thanks,

Guillaume
I suspect "debug log" will be the cry, but I'd look to your graphics drivers - I have to particularly raise an eyebrow at how graphics might work on a virtual server (although point taken about "it worked with Unity", so it's not inherently a VPS problem).

A proper debug log (use advancedsettings.xml to force it since Kodi won't start) would at least say more.
Quote:Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20151004_101018.log

Why do you run kodi as root user from a desktop session? This must be wrong ... post the file it tells: /root/kodi_crashlog-20151004_101018.log
Hey just for my information, will a standard physical dedicaded server can run Kodi without any issues? I know VPS are virtual so there was no physical graphic card so this mean it cannot work. But for a dedicaded server, it is the same thing than an local physical desktop PC?
if you have a supported GFX card incl drivers.
Did you know if I can run Kodi on a virtual machine who ran on VMware? It is the same thing than a VPS?
vmware and virtualbox work, but badly and require various degrees of tinkering.
I'd stay away from it if you want to use kodi for anything but some testing.