Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rars not showing up [solved]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
So I just wiped OpenElec off this laptop and installed Debian Jessie and Kodi 15.2 RC3 from the PPA. I am noticing that my movies that are in RAR files are not showing up. Previously with the version of Kodi on OpenElec they did show up, and I believe they did as well with the version i had compiled on Wheezy. Is there something that I missed? Is this a known issue with the debian packaged version of the Kodi? Do i need to compile my own for RAR support? Huh
Ok, maybe I should add more information? If i open VLC and go to the folder where there is a RAR'd movie and open it will play. If i go into file view in Kodi and open the folder where the movie is it does not show anything and if I select "Movie Information" on the context menu it says there are no video files in this path.

Is there a command i can run to see if this version of Kodi was compiled with rar support?
(2015-10-14, 01:10)katjap Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,
So I just wiped OpenElec off this laptop and installed Debian Jessie and Kodi 15.2 RC3 from the PPA.

we don't provide any PPA for debian. You most likely run the debianized kodi version from their repos and they almost certainly disabled rar support.
Quote:and they almost certainly disabled rar support

Wow....Debian does something good?!...That's new Wink Big Grin
(2015-10-14, 09:14)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]

hehe Smile reason is simple though: rar is not under a free software license

Bah, well that doesn't work for me because I need stuff rar'd. Will compile from source. thanks.

So, just out of curiosity, why is that a good thing?
because having media files rared is stupid and senseless
Ok, well I can see how you don't really save any storage space by raring media files, but many media files come rar'd and multipart rars are useful for decreasing acquisition time in traffic shaped environments. For the unwashed masses no rar support is confusing and for people who have built up a lot of media over the years unraring each file is just tedious (and yes i know i could just do find -exec but idwt). I realize you have nothing to do with the Debian packaging team, but a blanket 'no rar support is good' answer seems a bit obtuse.

Will mark [solved] because the answer was to just compile from source. Thanks.