Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio over HDMI with Video over DVI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am trying to follow this guide to achieve bitstreaming to my receiver. The guide suggests using HDMI for audio instead of optical so I hooked up a DVI-HDMI cable from my Graphics card to the TV then a HDMI from the motherboard to the receiver but can not figure out how to get sound through it, please help.
You need to make sure that the HDMI sends audio. Some cards only send video signal via hdmi.
It definitely sends sound, I can get sound out of the tv when I just have the HDMI plugged into it.
Maybe the DVI connection stops anything going out via HDMI. You can easily check this by leaving the DVI connection in place and adding HDMI from the motherboard to the TV. If you get do video and audio to the the TV via HDMI with DVI still connected then I am at a loss to think why your set-up (in your OP) fails to work.

It is more usual though to just connect HDMI > AV receiver > TV
Ok, so I tried your idea of HDMI > Receiver > TV but I get no sound through the receiver even though I can get sound through the TV. Any idea what's wrong?
So it seems as the issue lies with the receiver somehow. Can you try a DVD player connected to the receiver via HDMI and see it that outputs both audio and video?

Try posting the make and model of your receiver. Others may be familiar with it and get some clues as to what may be the problem.

Personally I have been caught out a few times with the speaker output switch being in the wrong position where the receiver can drive two sets of speakers A and B.
I'm definitely outputting both Audio and Video as I said sound will come from the TV, the reciever will pass the signal onto the TV it just chooses to ignore it. I tried a PS3 in this same configuration to check that the problem doesn't lie in my PC and yep same problem. I just noticed that I have an input button above my channel selector, it only cycles through 3 options auto, s/pdif and analog, shouldn't HDMI be an option? My reciever is a Sony STR-K1600.
OK, looking through the manual I may need to mute the tv to get sound through the receiver not just turn the volume right down, unfortunately my remote is broken gonna look at this tomorrow as I'm busy right now.
I may be wrong but it seems to me from a quick look at the operating manual for your receiver that the audio part of the HDMI connection does not get tapped by the amplifier for output to the speakers. It just gets passed through to a TV set or projector connected via HDMI.
If you get lost.... I have an alternate method.

I have KODI on an old Core 2 Quad Win10 PC, nVidia 610 graphic card with onboard Realtek audio.

I connect the video to the TV Screen using HDMI
I connect the on-board audio to my AV amp using SPDIF Optical Cable.

As I only have a Onkyo TX-SR806 5.1 surround system I don't need to go beyond DTS and Dolby. This setup works perfectly for me and I can explain what needs ticking in KODI to get it going. (Basically WASAPI and Passthrough ticks blah blah)

I have to do things this way due to a fault in the amp which makes a mess of any HDMI feed.
You failed to mention what your video card is. It's easy enough to look it up and see if passes audio via hdmi. If it doesn't, many cards come with a spdif connector on them. You simply attach 2 wires from your motherboard spdif internal connector to your gpu spdif connector. Then it will pass audio to anything via hdmi.
(2015-10-16, 16:01)jac55 Wrote: [ -> ]I may be wrong but it seems to me from a quick look at the operating manual for your receiver that the audio part of the HDMI connection does not get tapped by the amplifier for output to the speakers. It just gets passed through to a TV set or projector connected via HDMI.

Anything I can do about this? Or should I go back to trying to get my original method to work?

(2015-10-16, 16:58)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]If you get lost.... I have an alternate method.

I have KODI on an old Core 2 Quad Win10 PC, nVidia 610 graphic card with onboard Realtek audio.

As I only have a Onkyo TX-SR806 5.1 surround system I don't need to go beyond DTS and Dolby. This setup works perfectly for me and I can explain what needs ticking in KODI to get it going. (Basically WASAPI and Passthrough ticks blah blah)

I have to do things this way due to a fault in the amp which makes a mess of any HDMI feed.

Might give it a try if I can't get this to work, would rather use HDMI so as to have uncompressed 5.1.

(2015-10-16, 18:19)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]You failed to mention what your video card is. It's easy enough to look it up and see if passes audio via hdmi. If it doesn't, many cards come with a spdif connector on them. You simply attach 2 wires from your motherboard spdif internal connector to your gpu spdif connector. Then it will pass audio to anything via hdmi.

As mentioned I am getting sound to the tv, there is definitely an audio signal passing through the receiver.
Debug log_file (wiki) please, without that no one can properly advise.
(2015-10-16, 20:17)McNutty Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-16, 16:58)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]If you get lost.... I have an alternate method.

Might give it a try if I can't get this to work, would rather use HDMI so as to have uncompressed 5.1.
It may be compressed, but I can't really tell any difference. Sounds bloody stunning to me Big Grin

The Amp is also happily spotting the difference between DTS, Dolby, Stereo and Mono.

All I have done is set the cables as noted above, and then in the Audio Settings I do the following:
* Enable Passthrough - YES
* Passthrough output device to WSAPI:SPDIF
* Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver - YES
* Enable Doby Diguital (AC3) transcoding - YES
* DTS Capable Receiver - YES
(2015-10-16, 20:20)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Debug log_file (wiki) please, without that no one can properly advise.

I don't think a debug log is going to help in this situation.....it seems that it has NOTHING to do with kodi and more to deal with his receiver setup.
Pages: 1 2