Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Not sure what I need??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I'll start by saying what I want to do and wonder if anyone can help me out.

There's 2 new craft channels but they're on sky or freeview and I haven't got either. I can get it online but I need my laptop so can't do both. I would like to watch them on my TV and was thinking of getting a fire stick and putting Kodi on it but not sure if it'll work. I've looked through the posts but don't really understand what I'm looking for. Could anyone let me know if I can do this and what I would need to do in simple terms plz?
Thanks
What do you mean by "I can get it online"?

If the channels you want are not freely available without a subscription then there is no legal way to get them on Kodi.

If they are on Freeview and free-to-air they might be available on TV Catchup (which has a Kodi add-on).
By I can get it online I mean u go to the official website and u can stream the show so it's legal I just need a way of getting it on my TV hth x
OK. If the content is freely available then it may be possible to "push" it Kodi for viewing. If you're a Chrome user there are some great extensions and apps that work with Kodi.

"Play To Kodi" can push content to Kodi from a web page.

"XBMC video pusher" does a similar job but is a little more manual, you can give it an address etc.

"GetThemAll" will analyse a website and find links to media, even media hidden behind a Flash player which you can then send using on of the previous apps I mentioned.

I use this method quite a bit when I find interesting videos on websites, very handy. Check them out in the Chrome app store.
Cool thanku that gives me a start x
See if you can find the URL to the video streams, if you have those you can easily play the channels in Kodi or any other media player.
Please read the wiki for what http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR and "Live TV" channels is when its referred to in this subforum here on the Kodi forums.

PVR is not the same as online content, and info on access online content is not what this subforum is about or for.
Confused. I am new to Kodi. I am trying to understand the PVR / IPTV client concept. So far I'm lost. Please tell me, do I need a PVR or digital box? I do not have one. I do want live TV in Canada. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
(2015-11-05, 16:27)Jayson Wonder Wrote: [ -> ]Confused. I am new to Kodi. I am trying to understand the PVR / IPTV client concept. So far I'm lost. Please tell me, do I need a PVR or digital box? I do not have one. I do want live TV in Canada. Can anyone advise?
Again please read these linked wiki articles on => http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR and http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend

You need a PVR backend (which could be software appliation or a hardware box), and that PVR backend need to have a TV tuner (which could be via IPTV or a physical adapter).

Point is that you setup your TV tuner in the PVR backend, not in Kodi itself.
How do we access the backend and tuner
Using PVR addons in Kodi would be how you access the backend.