Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodibuntu wifi issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a B-link RTL8188CU USB wifi adapter. Kodibuntu cannot connect to my network in either Live mode or installed on my HD. Further, when it tries to connect it causes my wireless router to reboot (WTF?). It connects fine in Windows so I know the adapter is good.

I'm not very familiar with Linux and I can't find a way to access a list of hardware to look at the adapter and see if there is an issue.
open a terminal and see what

Code:
lsusb

shows. See if the device is listed there.

Also a

Code:
dmesg

could be interesting
The lsusb command shows my usb ports. The wireless adapter is there on a 1.1 hub.

The output from dmesg is long and I don't know how to output the text.

In general is says wlan0 link is not ready.
unexpected authentaction state alg1, then it says authentication timed out.

There is much more if you can tell me how to save the text
Hi
I ended up using wicd rather than network manager,( Im assuming network manger is still used as its been ages since I did a fresh install Smile )
This tut is old http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=81858 and I wouldnt use the tar file in the first post as it is for older ver of xbmc/linux... You will need to use a network cable to connect to your router, then run through the commands in the tut to uninstall network manager and install wicd..
Ok, it will be a bit of work to get the machine to a wired connection. Probably be this weekend before I can try it.
Every home should have a 30 meter lan cable Smile You can just move the box to the router and boot it headless,then ssh to it via putty on a windows machine on the network...Only issue is you cant run guid type interfaces on putty,You use an app like xlaunch to do that...That said you should be able to uninstall network manager and install wicd via putty then move the box back, reconnect it then configure wicd via terminal window
It didn't work. Now it doesn't see any wireless networks to connect to.
Neeeed a little bit more info Smile
Didnt work means?
when your run the command wicd-curses in terminal mode the gui pops up and no networks showed up?
if so then maybe your wifi dongle needs a driver/firmware install
try googling ubuntu RTL8188CU USB or even kodi RTL8188CU USB
maybe this will help
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2120629
I think you were right about the driver. The first time I ran wicd-curses it it showed the adapter but since then the list is just blank. I tried installing the adapter drivers from Realtek but I got an error when I try to build the driver. I just gave up and switched to a different wireless adapter now everything seems to be working.
Yeah I ended up looking for a guaranteed to work wifi chipset and got that...didnt want to go through the whole driver firmware update again Smile
anyway glad its sorted ..With linux I've found sometimes its easier to admit defeat than bang your head against the keyboard for hrs on end,Then again its not really a defeat if you learnt something new Big Grin