Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using Win32diskimager to clone a Micro SD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to clone my micro SD card.
I have read several tutorials. Nothing to it, except I can't make it work.
Here is what I am doing.
Create a new folder called MyraspPisd on my C drive.
It should have a location C:\raspPisd
Open Win32diskimager.
Insert SD card in slot, Win32diskimager recognizes I have an SD card in as G.
Type C:\raspPisd in the 'Image File' window.
Now click 'Read', it asks" Are you sure you want to overwrite the specified file"
I answer "Yes', I then get,
"An error occured when attempting to get a handle on the file.
Error 5: Access is denied"

I'm now on day 3 trying to do this, Please help!
Thanks, Mikek
(2015-10-19, 01:08)Qmavam Wrote: [ -> ]I want to clone my micro SD card.
I have read several tutorials. Nothing to it, except I can't make it work.
Here is what I am doing.
Open Win32diskimager.
Type C:\raspPisd in the 'Image File' window.
Now click 'Read', it asks" Are you sure you want to overwrite the specified file"
I answer "Yes', I then get,
"An error occured when attempting to get a handle on the file.
Error 5: Access is denied"

I'm now on day 3 trying to do this, Please help!
Thanks, Mikek

30 readers and no ideas?
Please help, I must be doing something simple wrong.
Mikek
You probably aren't being answered because this forum is about support for the Windows version of Kodi. Not Windows support for cloning drives.

You need to head over to the win32diskmanager support site for help.
You might receive more response if posted in the right place, but here it goes:
Are you by any chance using a converter in which you slide the sdcard? Most of these things have a write protection mode which can be (un-)set by a tiny slider on the side. Check if it's not set in write-protect mode.
You need to type a filename as well as the folder. Basically what you're asking the software to do is to make an image file from the content of the uSD card (correct?) and you're not giving it a filename to write to.

So if you open win32diskmanager, click the folder icon, navigate to your folder and then at the bottom enter a filename (e.g. PiImage.img or something suitable, also don't forget to include the .img at the end as win32diskmanager doesn't automatically add it and you'll have to rename the file later to be able to read it back in again) and then click open (I think the button is still called open, even though you're creating your image file) and then "read" from the top level screen you should then read your SD card content into the img file.

The other point it to ensure that your user has correct privileges to write to that folder you just created. As a test, if it doesn't work try writing the image file to either your user "my documents" folder (or a sub-folder of it) or perhaps something similar on your desktop.
Try..

Right clicking the shortcut for win32DI, 'run as administrator'
From your post...
Open Win32diskimager.

Then...
Click the folder icon in win32diskimager
a new window opens
browse to the folder you created (C/raspisd)
type a filename - eg raspimage.img
click 'open'
That window disappears
still in win32diskimager click 'read'
Wait until it's finished.
(2015-10-19, 08:17)Atreyu Wrote: [ -> ]You might receive more response if posted in the right place, but here it goes:
Are you by any chance using a converter in which you slide the sdcard? Most of these things have a write protection mode which can be (un-)set by a tiny slider on the side. Check if it's not set in write-protect mode.

I am using a converter/adapter to fit the slot in my laptop.
However, the problem is I can't read the data off the SD card into a file.
I have got to the write part yet.

Thanks, Mikek
(2015-10-19, 14:08)bledd Wrote: [ -> ]Try..

Right clicking the shortcut for win32DI, 'run as administrator'

That's not needed - it asks for admin rights when you run it anyway (or at least it should do).
(2015-10-19, 15:10)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]From your post...
It should have a location C:\MyraspPisd
Open Win32diskimager.

Then...
Click the folder icon in win32diskimager
a new window opens
browse to the folder you created (C/Myraspisd)
type a filename - eg Myraspimage.img
click 'open'

Yes, I have tried that many times, when I click open,
the file name is supposed to appear in the Image file line in Win32diskimager box.
It doesn't!
Hmm, after rereading what you said, I may need to type name into the line in the new window.
I am confused by your name change. I created the folder C:\Myraspisd to put image of my SD into.
Why would I type Myraspiamge.img into the filename line.
I would think I'd type the name of the Folder (C:\Myraspisd) in the file name line.
But I'm asking because I'm lost.

Quote:
That window disappears.
still in win32diskimager click 'read'
Wait until it's finished.

I can type a file name in the 'Image file' line, but I can't open a file name into the 'Image file' line.
[/color]

Thanks, Mikek
I'll try some of the suggestions this evening.
If I still need help, I'll open a new thread under the raspberry Pi catagory.

Thanks, Mikek
You're mixing up the folder and the image file - you're selecting the folder where you want to put the image file into, but by not typing the name at the bottom you're not actually telling the program what image file to save the image of your SD card as. Basically in read mode (copying from the SD card to the image file on your hard disk) you need to tell it the filename of the image file that you want to create and copy the image into. That is the bit that needs to be typed into the box. Clicking "open" is actually the equivalent of clicking "OK" in any other application, it's just badly named in this case.

The program is not put together very well for writing to an image file - it's primarily designed for writing from an image file onto the SD card (ie going the other way), at which point you are correct that you select the pre-existing image file, click "open" to open it and then "write" to write it to the SD card. But that's not what you're trying to do in this case, hence the confusion.
(2015-10-19, 16:30)Qmavam Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, after rereading what you said, I may need to type name into the line in the new window.
I am confused by your name change. I created the folder C:\Myraspisd to put image of my SD into.
I would think I'd type the name of the Folder (C:\Myraspisd) in the file name line.
It doesn't matter what filename you type, but you need to type a filename.
Myraspimage.img is a file name.
xxxx.img is a file name.
C:\Myraspisd is definitely not.

Have you tried following the step-by-step I posted?
Because that should work - what you've posted so far suggests you haven't specified a proper file name to save to.

Lots of people telling you the same thing I know - just try the step-by-step and see if it works.
(2015-10-19, 17:30)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]You're mixing up the folder and the image file - you're selecting the folder where you want to put the image file into, but by not typing the name at the bottom you're not actually telling the program what image file to save the image of your SD card as. Basically in read mode (copying from the SD card to the image file on your hard disk) you need to tell it the filename of the image file that you want to create and copy the image into. That is the bit that needs to be typed into the box. Clicking "open" is actually the equivalent of clicking "OK" in any other application, it's just badly named in this case.

The program is not put together very well for writing to an image file - it's primarily designed for writing from an image file onto the SD card (ie going the other way), at which point you are correct that you select the pre-existing image file, click "open" to open it and then "write" to write it to the SD card. But that's not what you're trying to do in this case, hence the confusion.

Thanks DarrenHill, This made it happen, took about 20 minutes to read the Micro SD Card and then about an hour to write to the new card.
Is it normal to be slower when writing? I bought a cheap card and the reason for this is a test of the cheap cards speed.
Did the slow write speed tell me I have a cheap slow card?
OK, read and write all went well, however,
The new card did not work in my Pi2, I got an error at start up.
It reads,

*** Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount /dev/mmcblk0p2***
### Starting debugging shell... Type exit to quit ###
sh: can't access tty: job Control turn off
#_

I'm thinking about just repeating to see if it works on a second try.
Any Thoughts.

Thanks, Mikek
(2015-10-19, 17:39)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-19, 16:30)Qmavam Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, after rereading what you said, I may need to type name into the line in the new window.
It doesn't matter what filename you type, but you need to type a filename.
Myraspimage.img is a file name.
xxxx.img is a file name.
C:\Myraspisd is definitely not.

Have you tried following the step-by-step I posted?
Because that should work - what you've posted so far suggests you haven't specified a proper file name to save to.

Lots of people telling you the same thing I know - just try the step-by-step and see if it works.

Yep, thanks,
It was all about naming the img, I thought I already had a name and place for it, but that's not the way it works.
Anyway, it read the old SD card and wrote to the new SD card, but I got an Error when I inserted the SD into the Pi.
Thanks, Mikek
Pages: 1 2