Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LG TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have an LG 47LW5600 TV that I would like to install your media server on. Is this possible?

Thanks,
The Bait
Nope, not possible.
Thanks for the reply Fail. Is it just that TV or all TV's? I hate the Plex server and wanted to use Kodi. Is their any way to see the Kodi format on the my TV?
(2015-10-22, 05:07)Snakebait Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply Fail. Is it just that TV or all TV's? I hate the Plex server and wanted to use Kodi. Is their any way to see the Kodi format on the my TV?

Unfortunately it's pretty much a no go unless you have firetv or older appletvs AFAIK. Personally I run it off my PC since I do gaming on one screen while running kodi on the 2nd screen (LG smart tv as well).
Forget about the "Smart" of smart TVs. Add your own. KODI is way smarter than most smart TV apps.

Go buy a Raspberry PI and add KODI. Or an old laptop\PC. Or maybe sideload KODI on an Amazon Fire.

By getting KODI running on its own device you have true control over what your smart device does and it doesn't get as obsolete as quickly as an LG Smart. You also won't get the adverts like you do with an LG
Please don't forget that some Sony TVs are shipped with Android. So in this case it might be possible to install Kodi on it.

Just for the note Wink
@Snakebait - Kodi can remote play videos to your TV (using DNLA/UPNP) and your smartTV should also be able to browse the UPNP library from a running Kodi instance. However, to get videos to play on your TV, your TV has to support the video format you have at hand, as Kodi can't do video transcoding like Plex to convert a video into a supported format by your TV. So if your TV can handle MKV with h264 codec and you only have your videos in this format, it should work out for you. If you however have DVD or BluRay ISO files, your TV veeeeeery likely won't be able to play them.
(2015-10-23, 09:17)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't forget that some Sony TVs are shipped with Android. So in this case it might be possible to install Kodi on it.

Just for the note Wink

Even so, it's usual some cheap & nasty SoC so a sub-optimal experience, you're far better off with something like a Raspberry Pi attached to the back of the TV.
(2015-10-23, 09:17)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't forget that some Sony TVs are shipped with Android. So in this case it might be possible to install Kodi on it.

Just for the note Wink

Having just got the Sony KD-75X9405C, I wouldn't hold my breath with that thought. The set and picture quality is stunning, when the menu's and android OS aren't doing they're own thing. It is the one area that is sadly lacking and in truth - CRAP (sorry for shouting, but this is something that should have been resolved long before Sony let these sets loose). I doubt in its current incarnation you could sideload anything to it.

People who use the smart element for their critical viewing, must be tearing their hair out by now. That part certainly isn't fit for purpose.
TVs should get dumb again - smartTV is worth nothing atm and you're better of with plugging a box to it. Benefit of the box is also that it'll survive the switch to a new TV and you don't have to start from scratch again
(2015-10-23, 18:35)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]TVs should get dumb again - smartTV is worth nothing atm and you're better of with plugging a box to it. Benefit of the box is also that it'll survive the switch to a new TV and you don't have to start from scratch again
Or tv survives the box which you can replace with better one
Big Grin