Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 15 Mbps or 10 Mbps enough for LQ video streaming ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
15 Mbps or 10 Mbps enough for LQ video streaming ? - would even 6 Mbps work ?
Should be. That would be based on the site, not kodi

Cheers!
10 to 15 Mbps would be enough for 1080p streaming let alone LQ streams!! Monitoring the bandwith in use while streaming 1080p on my android tv box shows 5-8 Mbps being used on average and it's only that high initially as the buffer is filled (I use a larger buffer than the default size) the bandwith drops once the buffer is full. I have a mate who only has a 5mbps broadband service and he has no trouble streaming 1080p in kodi.
Again it depends on the streaming sites, they're not all the same.
Oh excellent news, thanks guys. I hope you all get notified I read all your posts and replied to all in one reply.

(2015-10-20, 19:23)wyild1 Wrote: [ -> ]Should be. That would be based on the site, not kodi

Cheers!

(2015-10-20, 21:04)Frostie36 Wrote: [ -> ]10 to 15 Mbps would be enough for 1080p streaming let alone LQ streams!! Monitoring the bandwith in use while streaming 1080p on my android tv box shows 5-8 Mbps being used on average and it's only that high initially as the buffer is filled (I use a larger buffer than the default size) the bandwith drops once the buffer is full. I have a mate who only has a 5mbps broadband service and he has no trouble streaming 1080p in kodi.

(2015-10-20, 21:42)Phryzm Wrote: [ -> ]Again it depends on the streaming sites, they're not all the same.
P.S. to Frostie36, how do you increase the Kodi buffer ?

(2015-10-20, 21:04)Frostie36 Wrote: [ -> ]10 to 15 Mbps would be enough for 1080p streaming let alone LQ streams!! Monitoring the bandwith in use while streaming 1080p on my android tv box shows 5-8 Mbps being used on average and it's only that high initially as the buffer is filled (I use a larger buffer than the default size) the bandwith drops once the buffer is full. I have a mate who only has a 5mbps broadband service and he has no trouble streaming 1080p in kodi.
If you check out the kodi wiki page you'll find all the info there on how to adjust the buffer, among other useful tips, it involves creating an advancedsettings.xml file with the buffer value you require.
Thank you Frostie, much appreciated, I'll check kodi wiki for lots of tips :-)