Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I think it's time to move on from ATV1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using my atv1 for a few years now, and once I made the switch to a NAS hard wired drive for my media things really got way better. But for some reason, the atv1 seems a bit sluggish these days. Inside, i did install the crystal HD card so it's no longer wireless, but the atv1 was hard wired all along.

Lately it seems that movies go a little jerky every once in a while, and oftentimes it takes 2 or 3 reboots to get rid of MOST of the jerky stuttering. I did take the advice to try openELEC and also installed on the atv1 HD rather than booting from the USB stick.

It's been pointed outbthatbthe once powerful atv1 is being displaced by newer, faster devices. So I'm looking around and what I want is something that will be easy to operates do update, use all my MP4 and mkv videos, and hopefully work with a simple remote rather than a keyboard. Is the raspberry pi my next media delivery device? Is there something as good or better?

Mike
(2015-10-26, 06:11)DrGrafix Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using my atv1 for a few years now, and once I made the switch to a NAS hard wired drive for my media things really got way better. But for some reason, the atv1 seems a bit sluggish these days. Inside, i did install the crystal HD card so it's no longer wireless, but the atv1 was hard wired all along.

Lately it seems that movies go a little jerky every once in a while, and oftentimes it takes 2 or 3 reboots to get rid of MOST of the jerky stuttering. I did take the advice to try openELEC and also installed on the atv1 HD rather than booting from the USB stick.

It's been pointed outbthatbthe once powerful atv1 is being displaced by newer, faster devices. So I'm looking around and what I want is something that will be easy to operates do update, use all my MP4 and mkv videos, and hopefully work with a simple remote rather than a keyboard. Is the raspberry pi my next media delivery device? Is there something as good or better?

Mike

Hey Mike
Ive always been an apple fan as it comes to phone and tablet. When i started doing some homework on mediastreamers (after i got fed up with my WDTV) i ended up with Kodi on Android. I bought several (4, going on 5, as relatives love m as well) minix boxes. The X8H+ is just awesome. Fast, high power. I have x7mini as well. Use that wirelessly without issue

The apple looks sleek but only works seamlessly it seems if u play apple content. I have a shit load of media from various sources. I want to play those accross internet (ie play movies from my nas when i am spendong time in a hotel). kodi can do that. Apple cant (afaik)
I've only started loading the NAS drive with MP4 and mkv movies, but what I'm curious about how tough the transition is from the appletv life LOL to the android based unit. I'm by no means an IT genius, so that concerns me. I'm guessing that adding music and photos should be straightforward. I really have little faith in wifi delivery although I have a chromecast device and it works better than my appletv!!!!!

Does the X8H+ do 1080p and decent audio? Is the remote intuitively functional?
I think u dont have to worry about life beyond apple. Actuall i am more leaning towards android now. Apple are to restrictive i believe.

As for network streaming, i have several boxes (minix), some stream over wifi and one of them (in my daughter's dorm room) streams over shared wifi AND internet from my nas in my home. No problem. Not even any of the 1080p movies i have, present any trouble streaming.

Some thoughts i had to make your kodi/minix life better even:
- get the A2Lite remote. Its worth it. Stock remote is okayish but not great
- spend some time finding the right skin for you and tweak it. It helps you get most out of ur kodi. I am happy with Ace skin
- get your settings right. MovieCollections are good help if you have many, well, collections :-) like "James Bond Collection". It groups them nicely
- spend some time finding addons. I like LibraryAutoUpdate, and AutoSubs