Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Skin Editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Team XBMC,

What's your "position" on the XBMC Skin Editor developed by EqUiNoX ? Can I make reference (and add URL) to it in the Wiki Manual under "Skinning XBMC" ?

Cheers,

KZ
Yes, you can. Obviously XBMC_PC is also an invaluable reference.
Done.
The XBMC Skin Editor developed by EqUiNoX is not even really in a working state. IMO don't worry about documenting it yet.

Just in case you’re wondering of the progress. The XBMC Skin editor was using 'closed source components and licensed so we couldn’t use them in the new open sourced version. Before, I've recently started to recoded it without them and use more standard ones, and open components like the DockPanel from SharpDevelop and Scintilla .Net. However, these components have bugs and have caused me much trouble already.

The editor is in VB .Net. I considered rewriting it in C# but much of the code from the old one was still useable and it would make it easier for both of us. Plus both C# and VB.Net are similar and its easy to pick up one if u know the other.

EqUiNoX has been busy with real life, and hasn't had much time to work on it. I to will be going back to school soon so I won't be able to work on it either.

XBMC_PC and a Text Editor with coloring/xml formatting etc is the best way to create a skin, as you can preview it/ trial and error.

Will let you know the Skin Editor Project may make a tool release soon if all goes well and according to plan.

Currently my rewrite is not quite at the same state or better then the release on the site. Its missing 'Preview PNG' and correct syntax coloring. Once this is done, I will look at intergerating some of the plug-in I have for cleaning up XML and for XPR Extraction. This new one features a plug-in system, if I forget to mention above. Hopefully we can get it to a point so we can aim at new features/ the main point of it.
Hi Donno,

Appreciate the update; I'll leave the current link up in the Online manual until your version is a state where you feel it's useable.

It would be interesting to find out how many folks have C# experience over VisualBasic (VB). It may be beneficial to leave it in VB if more folks are available to help code some of the components.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

KZ
Is the XBMC skin editor dead ? Or should we still hope it might come to life again anytime soon ?

thx
well considering how fast the skin engine has been evolving and how long its been since a post was made in this thread, probably, yeah Sad