Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: boot failure after video card upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok this is really weird. I am using Kodibuntu which is dual booting with Windows 10 for gaming environment. I just upgraded my GTX 760 for a GTX 780. After physical install went into Win 10 first, upgraded driver and ran Nvidia updates. Everything cool. Went to boot into Kodibuntu 14, and after splash screen, the screen goes black. I thought it was locked but it seems the environment is indeed loading due to the fact when I hit ctrl alt del, the splash screen comes back and performs a graceful shutdown. So I thought..ok, I will reinstall. I download the same version from the downloads page, create a bootable usb, boot the usb, select install, then after some seconds the screen goes blank again, this really freaked me out. And same scenario, the unit is not locked, its just not displaying whats there for the first screen of install. Hit the physical power button on pc, and all of a sudden it displays a graceful shutdown sequence like nothing was wrong and powers the unit down. I attemted to bypass tv and hdmi connection by going vga to a little led monitor...Windows 10 fine, boot into kodibuntu, and exactly what I worded above for BOTH kodibuntu boot and install boot occurs. I get a black screen but the system is not locked, its just not displaying! This is weird for just changing a video card and very weird the install is doing same after loading to a certain point. Please help!! Thank you so much, look forward to learning how to fix this one. Thanks again.
Now its just getting silly...I downloaded latest Ubuntu 15, installed successfully, ran all the updates it prompted me for, went to the application center, successfully installed Kodi...all was good except no sound. Downloaded the audio mixer to make sure nothing wad muted...still nothing..shut down kodi, rebooted ubuntu, then boom, black screen. Can someone please shed some light? Im really restricted to diagnosing this stuff and am totally down. I know enough to configure and use but these strange problems are well beyond me. Thanks
To me it sounds like you did a kernel upgarde and didnt reinstall the Video drivers. hence the blank screen.

I dont know about you, but i always install the Nvidia driver from their website. I never had good luck with the ones from ubuntu. But the downside is after very Kernel upgrade you need to reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

My steps would be:
1: Go to nvidia website and download the linux driver for your card
2: In kodibuntu Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a prompt
3: login
4: sudo service lightdm stop and enter password
5: sudo sh Nvidia.something.somthing,run (the file you downloaded)

It should install, then reboot and see if that fixes it

*EDIT: I guess you have no screen, so if you have another machine to get it from you can ssh/scp the Nvidia driver download over, or in the dual boot if its mounting your NTFS Windows Partition you can browse to it

Cheers!
Thank you so much for the response. Im kind of knee deep right now going the Ubuntu path. I made it as far as getting Ububtu going again and downloading the latest driver from Nvidia's website so I have the file..Honestly though, im stuck there. And I am afraid to reboot because it will black screen again. I just re installed since I have an ssd anyways so its quick. The install is fresh of Ubuntu 15, I have the latest nvidia driver, can I just get a step by step on what to do next to get this driver installed before I download Kodi from the application center again?

Is there any way as a side note that I can just get Kodibuntu to work with this video card? Like i mentioned earlier the bootable installation Kodibuntu 14 usb takes me as far as the main option screen, but if I select install, or install with 120 by 120 dpi, it immediately takes me to a black screen, not locked up though, just graphics off...
Thought i kinda did give you the steps to install the Nvidia drivers:

1: Go to nvidia website and download the linux driver for your card
2: In ubuntu Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a prompt
3: login
4: type sudo service lightdm stop and enter password
5: type sudo sh the.file.you.downloaded and then follow the prompts.

And if the screen goes blank again, you should be able to SSH into it if you have another machine and still be able to access it.

Cheers!