Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Logging system information via add-on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm playing around with an add-on that sends information about the device that it is running on to a log file on my server. What I'd like to do next is have a way to uniquely identify that device if it was one that I distributed to an employee.

So, for example, if employee 34 runs the add-on this log file will be generated sending some information about their device/system. However, I can't tell that it was employee 34. Since I'm provisioning the device before I roll it out, I'm thinking that maybe I could place a uniquely named dummy file somewhere that my Kodi add-on could look for and send the filename as part of the log file contents -- but I'm not sure A) how to do that or B) if there's an easier way.

I was also thinking of creating a new profile in Kodi (not using that profile, just creating a shell profile) and possibly looking for the existence of that profile's unique name to determine which employee was running the add-on. But again, A) not sure how to do that; B) not sure if there's a better way.

I hope this makes sense... and thanks ahead of time to anyone who can provide some suggestions here.
configure a unique name in kodi:
Settings > Services > Device name

retrieve it in your addon:
Code:
devicename = xbmc.getInfoLabel('System.FriendlyName')
Short and simple. Perfect! Thanks!! Smile
can be changed by the user though.
If you want something a little more temper proof, you could use the ethernet MAC or the like. Note that this usually can still be changed, but not as easy as the kodi device name.