Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Grainy picture quality + greenish tinge in the video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
I have just setup my home theatre with a 50" full hd led with an onkyo 3700. I have connected this to my old laptop which is just about to manage to play my full hd 5gb odd 6 channel dts mkv files. I am on the latest stable version of kodi.

The problem I am facing is that the picture quality is extremely grainy on the tv. I tried VLC, there its better(though not as clear as the source file used to look on my old 42inch tv). Tried multiple movies, but same problem exists everywhere.

What setting could be wrong? I already changed rendering to software and disabled dxga as mentioned in other threads. Still no improvement.

Also the picture quality is much greener than normal. Even in hindi movies, the actor's hair looks greenish in certain shots.
Please help.
1. the TV is bigger than the old one, so any mpeg artifacts are going to be bigger and more visible.
2. Have you calibrated the TV? the settings will probably be set different if you havent touched them
(2015-10-30, 10:14)skydivertricky Wrote: [ -> ]1. the TV is bigger than the old one, so any mpeg artifacts are going to be bigger and more visible.
2. Have you calibrated the TV? the settings will probably be set different if you havent touched them
Haven't touched anything in the tv. Calibrated the tv?? Is it a setting in the tv or Windows or in kodi itself? I am in aware of this thing.

Also the files are all 1080p. So should it not look absolutely clear and sharp on a 50inch led?
Try inside Kodi, SYSTEM-Settings-Settings-Video output - put on highest possible (and see what happens). Also, settings level in Kodi should be on Expert or Advanced.
(2015-10-30, 10:31)krunalkamdar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-30, 10:14)skydivertricky Wrote: [ -> ]1. the TV is bigger than the old one, so any mpeg artifacts are going to be bigger and more visible.
Haven't touched anything in the tv. Calibrated the tv?? Is it a setting in the tv or Windows or in kodi itself? I am in aware of this thing.

Also the files are all 1080p. So should it not look absolutely clear and sharp on a 50inch led?

Calibration involves setting (as a basic level) the brightness and contrast to get correct Black and White levels as well as adjusting the colour settings to produce colours you like.
You can play out videos like these from Kodi to adjust your TV:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displa...ation.html

And use a calibration guide like this:
http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to-cal...es-or-less

Just because the files are 1080p, doesnt mean a lot. Thats just the display resolution. Unless it's raw video (which for 1080p video is about 3Gb/s, which it never will be - this is what basically goes down your HDMI cable) it will be compressed. a 10s raw video at 1080p would be 3.75GB. 1080p encoded at 1Mb/s will be worse than 1080p video at 2Mb/s. There is always compression, and artifacts will therefore be more visible on larger tvs. Also, as the Mpeg standard only defines how the decoder works, compression quality can vary from one encoder to another. So even then, two videos compressed to the same bitrate can look different.

The easiest way to check is to get two 1080 HD tv channels on. On showing sports should be a higher bitrate than one showing a talk show. Look away from the main action (the crowd in the sports, some background in the talk show) and see how clear it looks then.
The resolution settings are at highest : 1080p
TV is getting a signal of 1080p@60fps
Video calibration settings within the video output section was only for adjustment to the display window within the tv. It's got no relation with the graphics, colors etc.
Will check the links provided by skydivertricky after I get back home.

Just installed potplayer and everything worked like a charm. It's even got the option to pass through 5.1 sound. No greenish tinge or grainy dots. And sharp picture quality.

This proves that there is no other defect anywhere in the cables or tv settings or avr settings. With in kodi, there's got to be some improper setting which I am unable to figure out.
Even uninstalled kodi completely and installed an older version. That too didn't work.
Even changed os from Windows 10 to win 7 and then win 8. Nothing solves the problem.
Edit: NM I didn't see at first you tried disabling DXVA2.
Guys I have finally decided to quit kodi for now as I am unable to solve the issue.if someone else faces the same issue, My work around is as follows :installed potplayer for playing videos with 5.1 sound pass through working great . And slightly reduced the green tone in the windows display settings.
I started having the same problems when I upgraded my HTPC from Win 7 to win 10. Playback is grainy on most 1080p files especially during night or low light scenes. I read another thread, so I downgraded from Kodi 16.1 to 15.2, no improvement, I mucked around with the shader settings and the screen colour depth settings, all to no avail. After reading this thread I downloaded and installed Potplayer, at first the image quality was the same, so I went into the shader settings in Potplayer and enabled the shader noise reduction setting and it fixed the problem. So given my experience I would guess that the shaders in Kodi don't play well with Win 10. I will have to keep using Potplayer for the affected files and wait to see if Kodi 17 fixes the problem.
My new laptop does this with Windows10 kodi 17 nightly

everything extremely grainy

if it's hevc I see very large blocks
for some reason not as many video options like my linux version
only option avail is enable / disable DXVA2

and this is running content that I normally use for testing out large 3m+ projector screens ...
You haven't provided any details on your hardware.

What brand and model laptop? or age?
Is there a graphics card?
Version of graphics or the onboard graphics spec
Are you connected via HDMI or other.
if you "get" a smaller file of the same said movie does it play the same grainy image?? I notice that I get major grainy picture if my MKV file is bigger than ~5bg but if I get a smaller version of the same movie (both claim to be 1080p 5.1 DTS just one is 9.2gb and the other is 2.6gb) and the smaller MKV plays crystal clear. I believe this was caused when Kodi updated but did not fix when I manually downdated.