Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Publishing Add on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I would like to publish a add on, but there already exits a add on with the same name I want publish. Or doesnt matter?
(2015-10-30, 16:29)mister1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I would like to publish a add on, but there already exits a add on with the same name I want publish. Or doesnt matter?

What's the name?
Well actually name not decided yet.. Just asking in case If someone else publish it before I do.. ;-) ..And just asking in general. Rules for the Add on names.Does it matter if publishing again on same name? I guess it doesnt matter if it is giving in zip file? And what about if the name exits on the Offical Add on site, Superrepoo and 3rd party add on sites?
(2015-10-30, 17:44)mister1 Wrote: [ -> ]Well actually name not decided yet.. Just asking in case If someone else publish it before I do.. ;-) ..And just asking in general. Rules for the Add on names.Does it matter if publishing again on same name? I guess it doesnt matter if it is giving in zip file? And what about if the name exits on the Offical Add on site, Superrepoo and 3rd party add on sites?

You want to avoid user confusion, so I would come up with a unique name.
In a nutshell, there are no rules about this, particularly when you consider 3rd party sites. For example, I created an addon id plugin.video.popcornflix which was accepted into the kodi.org repo. I had no idea that another addon of the same id existed in an external repo (actually banned on kodi.org forum). It was a real support headache as the 2 addons kept updating each other and users complained back and forth. I would strongly recommend trying to have both a unique addon name and a unique addon id as a duplicate will auto-update based upon the version number and you can end up in version number war with another author.
fyi differentiate between "addon name" and "addon id". These are two separate things.

addon name can be the same and is only for displaying
addon id should be unique because that is used for auto-update and storing settings and whatever more
(2015-10-30, 18:03)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]fyi differentiate between "addon name" and "addon id". These are two separate things.

addon id should be unique because that is used for auto-update and storing settings and whatever more

Agreed (I've gone back and fixed my previous post), but just my 2 cents here - avoid the same addon name as well - it really confuses users and has support headaches. I made this mistake with plugin.video.myvevo as the id and "Vevo" as the addon name. There is another addon plugin.video.vevo with "Vevo" as the addon name. An end-user just knows that they have "Vevo" and it takes a bit to figure out which one they are referring to when they post a forum support issue.
(2015-10-30, 18:03)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]fyi differentiate between "addon name" and "addon id". These are two separate things.

IMO knowingly naming (not internal id) a plugin the same as one that already exists is in bad practice, This will only lead to confusion...
Of course Smile
My intention was more saying having same id hurts even more