Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Code missing: DTS-HD and TRUEHD passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

In the Android audio handler, there seems to be missing code for adding passthrough support for DTS-HD and Dolby TRUEHD.

In the function:

EnumerateDevicesEx in file AESinkAUDIOTRACK.cpp

It only adds:

m_info.m_dataFormats.push_back(AE_FMT_AC3);
m_info.m_dataFormats.push_back(AE_FMT_DTS);

Missing are:

m_info.m_dataFormats.push_back(AE_FMT_DTSHD);
m_info.m_dataFormats.push_back(AE_FMT_TRUEHD);
and perhaps a few more

By simply adding this and forcing it to add: m_info.m_sampleRates.push_back(192000);, my external receiver sees TRUEHD but cuts in and out, it's like its trying to decode it, but doesn't quite get the right data as part of the bitstream.

Also the enumeration of supported audio bitrates seems to only query ENCODING_PCM_16BIT, whereas there is ENCODING_AC3, etc This should probably change as well.

I'm using one of those cheap android boxes with an amlogic chip.

Its possible to achieve passthrough, the Vidon XBMC Pro player does it somehow, so they probably found the root issue. Since the code is GPL'd, can't we demand to see their modifications?
it needs a lot more work then that.
https://github.com/koying/xbmc/commit/cf...25fcc51d6d

edit: your welcome to demand source from vidon nonetheless
Thanks for the code.

I looked at it, the changes seem to try to aim for API compliance to Android. My cheap android box is an MXQ with 4.4.2, Thus API level 19. Given I've spent a few hours on this, now I want to get to the bottom of it.

I saw the code path, most of it assumes that you'll have API 21 for WantsIEC61937. So this wouldn't work for me as is.

I tried to hack the bits and pieces that I thought might help. So, in the AddPackets function, I took that, where it analyzes the packet, does the endian swap to the temp buffer then submits, BTW, are there any BigEndian CPUs supported by Android.? Anyways, the results seem to be worse for me, now my external receiver doesn't see DTS-MA or DOLBY TRUE-HD whereas it did before, but was swapping in and out of PCM mode, so it was almost there. So it leads me to believe it's some sort of buffering problem.

I wonder if AudioTrack in the Java layer is setup with with enough buffer size. Since TrueHD is 192k per channel, there doesn't seem to be the android constructs to handle 24bit audio formats. Hmm, yeah maybe I'll go down a layer or two and experiment with this.

Any thoughts?
HD audio needs multi-channel passthrough. The lights on you avr light up probably because it recognizes bits and pieces, but I doubt you'll manage to get it fully working without firmware support.
For ref, on Shield, DTS-MA is working with AE_CH_LAYOUT_7_1 in 48Khz on the AudioTrack
I just bought an Nvidia Shield TV and I want to buy a second one.

Are there any estimates of when will TrueHD passthrough work?

I have a Zidoo X6 Pro and TrueHD passthrough works great. From what I understand HiMedia H8 also has working HD 7.1 passthrough.

Any news on how much effort (weeks/months) will take?

Thanks so much
(2015-11-23, 14:12)rafarataneneces Wrote: [ -> ]I just bought an Nvidia Shield TV and I want to buy a second one.

I have a Zidoo X6 Pro and TrueHD passthrough works great. From what I understand HiMedia H8 also has working HD 7.1 passthrough.

Thanks so much

Kodi v17 will have it. Just watch the news.

Zidoo and Himedia are doing it in a hacked in way which we don't support.
(2015-11-23, 14:17)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-23, 14:12)rafarataneneces Wrote: [ -> ]I just bought an Nvidia Shield TV and I want to buy a second one.

Thanks so much

Awesome. There are two betas for Kodi 17 so far.

Do you know how many betas will there be before release?

For example Apple usually releases around 4 betas for each version of El Capitan.

May I guess around 2 months or so?

OMG I'm sooo excited!!!
No there are betas for v16

Thanks so much

Oh no I'm confused I thought you were taking about the next version of Kodi.

Kodi 16.

Ok so you mean two versions from now?

Will Kodi 17 have TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD MA passthrough for all Android boxes or just the Nvidia Shield TV?

Maybe I should wait until I buy more Android boxes.

Would you please clarify? Any rough estimate of how long until we have TrueHD in Kodi 17?
(2015-11-23, 14:37)rafarataneneces Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks so much

Oh no I'm confused I thought you were taking about the next version of Kodi.

Kodi 16.

Ok so you mean two versions from now?

Will Kodi 17 have TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD MA passthrough for all Android boxes or just the Nvidia Shield TV?

Maybe I should wait until I buy more Android boxes.

Would you please clarify? Any rough estimate of how long until we have TrueHD in Kodi 17?

Hey Mate, I am not a developer or team member but I'd like to help you out by pointing out that this is not the right place to ask these questions. See here for what kind of stuff should be posted in this section of the forum. Go here to join in on the discussion of the Nvidia Shield TV. The devs pop in quite often to provide updates.

From the information that the devs have provided in the aforementioned thread HD Audio Passthrough is being worked and will be included in Kodi 17 but there is not a set time frame for when Kodi 17 will be released. It will be released when it is ready. As stated in the most recent Kodi blog post Team Kodi has decided to follow a Release Early Release Often (RERO) process so you will likely see HD Audio in the not too distant future.

In response to your other part of the question I would definitely wait before you buy any other Android boxes as there are a number of factors that come into play as to whether an Android box will support HD Audio passthrough in the future when Kodi supports it.

Welcome to forum but PLEASE don't post here again unless you are doing so under the guidelines I referred to above.