Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Eminence 2 MOD (DISCONTINUED) - Jarvis & Krypton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-02-17, 20:09)jdig4240 Wrote: [ -> ]Alanon, any easy way to disable the animations in the skin. Im trying to narrow down some slowdowns when opening addons/menus, etc. Some stuff seems more sluggish than Jarvis versions. 2.1 shows a great improvement in overall speed for me. I love everything your doing for the skin. Thanks!

Not really, certainly not in an easy way. The best you could do is locate a specific area where there's slowing down, and then remove the animations. If you have troubles with lagging in the settings area, then it's probably the animations I've recently added in. In that case, you can simply try batch replacing the "Animation_FadeSlide_Right" and "Animation_FadeSlide_Right" with the default Slide/FadeOut ones. Also, you could probably remove most of the animations altogether, although I'm not sure what real performance benefit that would bring.

(2017-02-17, 21:20)eurogroovem5 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to still show the RSS ticker with a text only home bar?

@Alanon
Thanks for the tip on the weather widget. I had it perfect for 10 minutes, but now I cant have the widget with my custom wallpapers. The wallpaper set that comes with weather fanart-multi overwrites my wallpapers. So I see them for 2 seconds before the widget loads. If I then choose custom backgrounds for that hub, I get the backgrounds but no widget.

Yes, I realise it's not very intuitive or logical, but that's the intended behaviour. There were problems before with the weather widget actually running previous widgets and menus upon focusing the weather widget, so the backgrounds resources were implemented as a sort of independent criterion. That's also the reason why only the multi-fanart add-on is supported. I've tried several times to do something about this, but I wound up breaking it every time. The main culprit is the structure of the skin widgets, so any solution has to work around that. It's on my to-do list, just not sure how to achieve what I want.

(2017-02-17, 22:17)pinguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-17, 21:20)eurogroovem5 Wrote: [ -> ]@pinguy
I had my maintenance tools as the hub for settings as well, but every time i scrolled over the settings hub clear cache would activate. Did you ever have this problem?

Yep. Also with the new indigo maintenance tool, the subs addon keeps installing.
Not sure if it is a skin issue or an issue with the maintenance tool.

Bug:

When hitting back instead of you being brought back to the hub when clicking a shortcut. It takes you one level up within the add-on. So I need hit back twice to return to the hub. Finding this slightly annoying.

@jdig4240

Also noticed it is not as snappy as the Jarvis version, but this could be due to Krypton and not the skin. I am finding many things are running a lot slower on Krypton. Video streams have a noticeable delay before they play and the iVue guide is pretty slow compared to how it runs on Jarvis. To be honest tempted to go back to 16.1 and wait for 17.1. Wish @Alanon could update the Jarvis skin so it has the same features as the Krypton version.

I'm not sure what these forced installations are about? I've never used these cleanup add-ons, certainly not in the hubs, so I'm not privy to the specifics. The behaviour definitely sounds strange to me. If you give me some more details, I'll look into it when I have a chance.

As far as the add-on browsing is concerned, I don't think it's a bug, Whenever you add a shortcut to anything but the root of an add-on structure, it will always return you to root before exiting. I've encountered the same behaviour in all of the skins I've ever used. I think it's simply the way Kodi (or skinshortcuts?) handles the file browsing? I'm not sure if it's possible to bypass this.

Now about the snappiness. I've added some new animations a few versions back that were more fleshed out by intention, mainly in the settings region, so that may account for some of the feelings of slowness, although "smooth" was more or less what I was aiming for. As far as actual lagging goes, I've found that it varies, depending on the view, and the way my PC feels about running Kodi that day. In my experience, certain views (like Logo List or Clearart List) simply have a split second lag switching between films. I presume this is due to two factors: First, the extrafanart that's enumerated on each new item; second, on the movie sets posters, plots, genres etc. lookups.

The dynamic and automated fashion by which Skin Helper is so useful to skinners is also the thing that puts strain on the CPU, because it will always look up everything it's told, in the split seconds that the item is focused upon. I've tried various solutions and workarounds, i.e using a dynamic label instead of skin helper for displaying extrafanart, changing/removing animations, etc. and that uncomfortable little lag remained. Add to all this the displaying of animated art, and you have yourself a pickle. Yet, compared to the original Eminence, which uses little of the eye candy the mod does, there's very little difference.

Still, that's the price we pay for always having info available, even when our databases fail. I've circumvented this by preferring the database values whenever possible, to avoid even the SH lookups, but in the end, skin helper's metadata is superior. Anyways, if anyone has a particularly problematic viewtype, say the word, I'll try to see if I can't switch things up a bit. All this is to say that part of the problem is assuredly the skin. The other part is your individual rig and its quirks, and then the quirks of the Kodi version.

BTW, in theory, if you bump down the GUI version, remove the news section from the addons.xml, and batch replace the infobools, you should end up with an 85% working skin for Jarvis, provided the latest skinhelper addons can be installed on it. I'm busy at the moment with the goodies for the upcoming thread, as well as planning for Leia, so I won't be returning to Jarvis.
Just opened a separate thread for my mod here.