Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What "non Harmony" IR Universal RCU with learning function work well with Chromebox?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I've been in search for an all-in-one remote control to CONTROL MY TV/Sat Box/AVR/Android Box/AC/Chromebox for months now but unfortunately haven't found the perfect/best one out there yet so I know I won't find such a thing. So time to pick one can't keep waiting.

From all the research I've done I came up with a list of best candidates apart of the Logitech Harmony remotes which I've read a lot of complains about their quality. Apparently the "cheaper" models break easily so you are better off buying their luxury Harmony One or Harmony 900 which I'm not willing to pay $300+ for one of those ITS RIDICULOUS (I would rather buy a high end smartphone with IR support and use an app to control all of my devices but that's NOT the idea).

I need it to control most if not all of my devices including the Chromebox (with the proper IR receiver or FLIRC?) and I need it TO LAST.
I own a Logitech k400 keyboard+mouse pad that I'll also be using with the chromebox for the OS and Kodi when needed.

Here's the list and below are my questions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishl...av_lists_3

1. IS ANYONE USING inteset 4-in1 or URC R50 UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL WITH CHROMEBOX? I'm more Interested in those 2 models
1.1. How does it work? Can it suspend the box?
1.2. What IR receiver are you using (Inteset for example also has its own external Infrared receiver).
1.3. Is there another 'non harmony' remote with similar specs that I missed? Please no wand company!

2. Will they work with Wetek core? All buttons? I read Wetek core RCU is RF/IR but not sure if all buttons are RF and IR or if some are IR and other RF.
Yes you said no harmony, but get the Harmony Smart Control. It can connect via infrared or Bluetooth and I think it's very good built quality.
Thanks for your feedback, will give it a look and read reviews.
Also look into the similar Harmony Home control, which seems to have a few extra buttons to control home appliances like air conditioning.
refurb Harmony Smart Control, $65 on ebay (or groupon/woot on occasion)
Ok did my research again I'll pass for Harmony remotes. They will be the last on my list.
Can't believe noone is using other similar non harmony remotes with the chromebox.
Guess many use a dedicated remote control but that's to be limited by having a bunch of remotes to control each device, in 2015 is unbelievable.
I use a URC MX-890.

No complaints here.
(2015-11-10, 04:28)Magoo32 Wrote: [ -> ]I use a URC MX-890.

No complaints here.
what IR receiver do you use with the chromebox?
Update: I ended up purchasing the Inteset INT-422 remote control and a FLIRC, works great. It suspends and wake my Chromebox with Windows 8.1 + Kodi 15.2 installed nicely.

I use the Full Keyboard controller in Flirc GUI + keyboard.xml for Kodi.

I may update this post with a video review.
I've used a OneForAll URC 7960 which go for about £15 in the UK. It's got a reasonable layout, enough navigation keys to be useful (numbers, cursors, transport controls, coloured buttons etc.), can emulate 6 different remotes, and has an RC6 MCE remote code programmed in (it's available as a GAME I think) Works fine with a normal RC6 IR receiver dongle.

http://www.oneforall.co.uk/urc7960-smartcontrol.html (Not sure it is still current, and they go for less than the OneForAll list price these days)

I've never been a huge fan of Macros - but it has some.

For Chromeboxes I always recommend the PS3 Bluetooth Blu-ray remote (because the BT receiver is built in to the Chromebox) - as it removes the need for a dongle and is a very well designed layout for Kodi IMO. However the TV an Amp control are less useful than on a universal remote (as the functions are limited and Sony-heavy)
Thanks for your feedback, well the point here is about URC's (Universal Remote Control).
All I have in my table is my Inteset remote and the Logitech k400 keyboard, soon I'll start playing around with EventGhost to extend the remote's usability.
I'm really happy with my purchase.
(2015-11-09, 05:28)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]refurb Harmony Smart Control, $65 on ebay (or groupon/woot on occasion)

Try best buy even,almost weekly they rotate the harmony remotes on sale, i just picked up the smart control for 79 CAD at boxing day. i love it.