Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Separate PVR recording and streaming/pausing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm trying to cut down cables and hardware around my TV (for tidiness, noise reduction and baby-proofing). What I think I'd like to end up with is:
- a TV with some kind of streaming device connected to it (like an RPi or AppleTV4),
- a server (probably a NUC) sitting in another room with my router, external TV tuner (PlayTV) and indoor antenna, running TVHeadend
- the streaming RPi/ATV4 being used to stream and pause live TV (i.e. free-to-air, DVB-T) over the network from the server
- the streamer being used to play recorded TV and other media off the server
- the streamer being an easy way to tell the server what shows to record in the future
[/i]- the server being able to record programs (which I guess would mean it has its own headless Kodi installation running)

The network is currently wireless-N. I'd prefer to keep it that way, but if it comes to running ethernet cable then so be it.

I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not this is something that is possible. My experience with Kodi/XBMC so far has been limited to an RPi doing everything, and I haven't been able to find out whether it's practical to separate out the functions like this. I'd prefer to have some indication that there was some chance of success before I go out and buy a NUC.

Would a setup along these lines work? More to the point, would it work well, or would it be plagued by a laggy interface on the streamer, buffering, horrible collisions caused by having two instanced of Kodi using the same backend, etc?

Thanks.
New router + SiliconDust HDHomeRun. Pvr coming soon that will record ota and provide guide Metadata. Can't get much easier than this. Look it up. Rely great
Thanks for the reply.

I'd prefer not to have to buy a new tuner ... but maybe it would be worth it to have it network-accessible instead of just USB (like the PlayTV).

I will keep it in mind.