Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: M8 Android Box and ISO Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have an M8 Android box running Kodi 15.2 on Android 4.4.2.

Everything seems to work well except that I am unable to play ISO and VOB files. I keep our home videos in ISO format so that I can keep the menus intact. I extracted one of them into VOB files but it is not playing either. I hear the audio playing but the screen is blank.

I used to have similar issues with a Raspberry Pie Kodi system. I thought it was not strong enough to play these files hence the reason for me to get this M8 box.

Has anyone ever successfully played ISO and VOB files on this device?

Thanks.
it's not a case of "Strong Enough" ... it's a case of "MPEG-2" decoding

for the Raspberry Pi ... for Hardware Decoding of "MPEG-2" you need to purchase the License

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

Raspberry Pi 2 can Software Decode MPEG-2 without the License ... as long as the Bit/Data Rate is not too High

but, for a couple of dollars ... it's worth purchasing the License for Hardware Decoding
(2015-11-20, 14:04)SeVreN2013 Wrote: [ -> ]it's not a case of "Strong Enough" ... it's a case of "MPEG-2" decoding

for the Raspberry Pi ... you need to purchase the "MPEG-2 License" for Hardware Decoding

Note: Raspberry Pi 2 can Software Decode MPEG-2 without the License ... as long as the Bit/Data Rate is not too High

I did purchase the MPED-2 license for it but it never really worked well for me.

Do you think it is same with the M8 box? I haven't seen any place to enter the license code.
"MPED-2" .... never heard of that Codec ?

when you "purchased" the license did you edit the config.txt correctly ? ie. remove the "#"
Sorry, that was a typo. It was MPEG license. Why the quotes around the word purchased?
Yes, I did add it to the config file. I didn't like the sluggish response I got from it anyway.

In any case, I am not using the pie any more.

Any help with the M8 box?
All AMLogic devices have problems with mpeg2 video content found in .vob files that are from ISO DVDRips.
Its a known issue with Kodi.

I have not tested playback of these .vob files with the Android App - MXPlayer yet to see if it is an AMLogic decoder issue or a Kodi problem. Try MX Player with playback of .vob files from a USB or connected Hard Drive and report back.
Hi wrxtasy,

I tried it from and USB and it is working. Then I completely powered the unit off (unplugged) and after that restart everything seems to be working including VOB files as well as ISO files.

Thanks.