Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: All XBMC/Kodi Versions - Try this Fix for Kodi crashing at startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Note this will rename all of your Kodi userdata so you can start Kodi afresh and hopefully prevent startup crashing issues:

In OSX Finder, the top > Go Menu > Go to Folder > copy and paste text below:
Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/

Next rename the userdata folder to a temp file > userdata.temp
Also to prevent corrupted data being automigrated from an old XBMC version rename this folder
Code:
~/Library/Application Support/XBMC

Now restart Kodi.

Any further crashing issues, then drag suspected problematic addons from the Addons folder to the OSX desktop and try again.

A less intrusive way of partially resetting Kodi is to drag the guisettings.xml file (found in the Userdata folder) to the Desktop and restart Kodi.

Smile
I tried this but I am still having issues with Kodi crashing when I try to start it.

I think that according to the attached crash report below, I am having database issues...not sure why since this is a fresh kodi install. It was working fine a few days ago. I was attempting to do a full backup using the USB-SDCARD Wizards addon. It kept giving me errors and wouldn't backup my kodi. Finally it crashed my Kodi so I unistalled Kodi, re-installed it, and tried to run it but it started to crash everytime I would attempt to start it.

Any sugestions?

Crash Report: http://pastebin.com/PANXEHWn
Yep Drag the Entire Kodi folder to the Desktop, and then restart.

If that fails you have an OSX problem and I suggest you Go to OSX Disk Utility App and hit the First Aid Button.

Dodgy Addons are the likely cause.
Tried that as well but the problem continues. This is really weird!

I am going to re-install the MAC OS and see if this may salve the problem.
Re-installing the OS did not fiix the problem.
@DarcMan: one of your databases is corrupt, probably failed to migrate properly and is now in an inconsistent state, upload a debug log (wiki).

Edit: Although based on the crashlog it sounds like the same problem discussed here but yet to see a debug log of the actual database migration that is clearly failing for some reason.
I am unable to enter kodi in order to turn on the debugging. Any sugestions?

Shouldn't a unistall and re-istall of kodi fix the database problem?
Drag that entire Application Support/Kodi folder to the desktop and then try restarting Kodi.
This will temporarily move everything including the problem Kodi database.
(2015-11-23, 15:56)DarcMan Wrote: [ -> ]I am unable to enter kodi in order to turn on the debugging. Any sugestions?

@DarcMan: create advancedsettings.xml as follows:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

(2015-11-23, 15:56)DarcMan Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't a unistall and re-istall of kodi fix the database problem?

If you're deleting the contents of the .kodi folder after installation, then probably, although it really depends on why the problem is occurring in the first place. Re-installing is a rather drastic solution, and the first thing to do is identify which database is the problem and then you can just delete that database.

I don't know what this USB-SDCARD Wizard add-on is, maybe that has corrupted the database somehow - if you identify the database then it could be analysed to see why it is corrupt and possibly pinpoint the cause.
Wrxtasy

I did that but the problem remains
Milhouse,

I have created the advancedsettings.xml

What do I need to do now in order to produce the debug log? and how do I retrieve it so i can send it to you?

DarcMan
(2015-11-23, 22:34)DarcMan Wrote: [ -> ]Milhouse,

I have created the advancedsettings.xml

What do I need to do now in order to produce the debug log? and how do I retrieve it so i can send it to you?

DarcMan

Start Kodi, wait for it to crash then upload the file "kodi.log" to pastebin.com - not sure of the exact path for kodi.log, but based on the path in your crashlog it might be /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/MacOS/Kodi/temp/kodi.log

With this debug log we can try to work out which database is causing the problem. Once the database is identified, you can delete it so that it is recreated - this time hopefully without any errors. If there are errors after recreating the database, then we'll want that debug log too!
@DarcMan

Try this:

-Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/ and find guisettings.xml.
-Copy the file to another place as backup and move to trash
-Open terminal and paste this command: killall cfprefsd
-Install the last stable version of Kodi or last nightly build

Hoppe this help you
Mulhouse,

Odd but I can't find any file named kodi.log.
Step,

No luck! It continĂșes to crash.
Pages: 1 2 3