Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Remote for Intel Nuc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I have installed openelec on Intel NUC5CPYH and need a little but fine remote control (like Apple TV, Fire TV or Xbox One Media Remote).
I tried Xbox One Media Remote but I have problems with power off and power on on the Intel Nuc.

Which remote do you recommend and which works ootb with openelec on Intel Nuc platform?

I won't use Smartphone or Tablet as remote control.

Thanks in advance,
free2k
I have the same question (NUC5i5RYK, running Mint/Cinnamon and kodi 15.2). Some apps (Kore, Yatse) are fine for controlling kodi, but I'd prefer something that would control the NUC as well. I tried Rii WiFi keyboard/touchpad, but it functions spastically and only when I am close to the NUC.
@free2k
Any RC6 remote will ootb... I use the one in my sig, an it can even turn the NUC on/off.

@venik212
A good quality rf/bt mouse or kb with touch pad like the logitech k400?
I use a Sveon SAC620 air mouse.

It works very well on my NUC5i5RYH and Windows 10 OS.

You can see it on www.sveon.com

Note: it is a Spanish site but you can find it under productos and then accesorios.
I bought an xbox 360 remote (not the controller).
It works ootb, and does so in an excellent way.
I use TV stuff, and this remote provides buttons that are default shortcuts to PVR functions.
It's a mce/rc6 remote, so very little tweaking is required.

http://www.nedgame.nl/xbox-360/microsoft...Gwod8XgPZw
@venik212 the Logitech K400® is widely used to control the underlying OS...
I bought a Favi originally for my box. It woks OK, but range was spotty with my setup. (No power-on option)

Later, I bought a PCS-MCE IR Receiver module when I scored a URC R50 for $20 from a pawn shop. Now I use that for literally everything in my house.
Same question here, too. I have the pentium braswell NUC here.
So apart from the power on\off issue (does anyone know how to fix this?) does the Xbox One Media Remote work out the box without any config'ing with Openelec, specifically fritsch's excellent v15_2_EGL build?
Just in the market for a remote (which must be backlit) and works without any messing about. Any info greatly appreciated.
(2015-12-17, 22:04)famitsu1 Wrote: [ -> ]Same question here, too. I have the pentium braswell NUC here.
So apart from the power on\off issue (does anyone know how to fix this?) does the Xbox One Media Remote work out the box without any config'ing with Openelec, specifically fritsch's excellent v15_2_EGL build?
Just in the market for a remote (which must be backlit) and works without any messing about. Any info greatly appreciated.

Keep an eye out for the original white Xbox 360 Media remote (not the Xbox One) then. That is an RC6 model and I believe the Power On/Off works. Some models are also backlit - mine is. (I have the larger one with number keys - from memory there was a smaller one, not sure if that was also backlit)

The one I have is here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Univers...dia+remote

Not sure if the later, black, model is backlit. Doesn't look like it would be as the key design is very different. The white remote has white translucent keys that glow when the backlit is enabled by pressing any button.

The original RC6 Microsoft Media Center remotes also did this. If you can find one of them (I've got a couple for my various installs) they work a treat with NUCs too, and some of the keys (mainly the arrows I think) are backlit. Example picture here : http://www.oneweb.co.uk/mythtv/wp-conten...remote.jpg (I am in Europe so have the four coloured buttons used by Teletext/Fastext and our Digital TV systems)
I'm using the Logitech Harmony Smart Control (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-996-00011...rt+control)
for all my devices (sans PS4) and I am very happy with it. Controls everything and it's mother via IR, and the PS3 via Bluetooth... (the included remote is also very nice, and there is a very capable smartphone app available as well, which is especially handy if you need to send some obscure remote command that is not mapped normally and don't want to take out the first party remote from storage..)

I bought one, two other friends bought one, everyone is still very happy Smile

P.S. as it was mentioned before: Power ON/Off works perfectly on the NUC as well, as it is just RC6. I have the bigger model of your NUC and love it.
(2015-12-18, 11:50)kuldan Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. as it was mentioned before: Power ON/Off works perfectly on the NUC as well, as it is just RC6. I have the bigger model of your NUC and love it.

Confirmed.
Power on/off works like a charm, and the Xbox360 media remote is just an older model of the one i mentioned.
Hi noggin,
huge thanks for taking the time to provide all the great info, it's greatly appreciated (as is everyone else's advice and assistance here).
After reading your post went onto UK Ebay and picked upped an official original white Xbox 360 Media remote, brandnew and sealed for £.7.99!!! Can't really go wrong for that price. Quite a pleasant surprise to find out that you can still pick these up new quite easily.
Still like the idea of the dainty Xbox One Media Remote though, anyone out there know how to resolve the remote's power on\off issue?
Evening all,

Very interested in this thread as I have bought 2 x NUC D34010WYKH as presents for my kids this Christmas. I intend to install either windows with Kodi or openelec on them.

Am I understanding correctly that the Xbox 360 remote should work with Kodi and the NUCS inbuilt IR sensor straight out of the box as they are RC6 remotes? Apologies if this is a bit of a newbie question. Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, before I take the plunge and order two remotes.

Thanks in advance.
(2015-12-18, 22:05)icesurf3r Wrote: [ -> ]Evening all,

Very interested in this thread as I have bought 2 x NUC D34010WYKH as presents for my kids this Christmas. I intend to install either windows with Kodi or openelec on them.

Am I understanding correctly that the Xbox 360 remote should work with Kodi and the NUCS inbuilt IR sensor straight out of the box as they are RC6 remotes? Apologies if this is a bit of a newbie question. Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, before I take the plunge and order two remotes.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it does.
You moght have to remap some keys to your liking, which is really easy to do.
(2015-12-18, 20:51)famitsu1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi noggin,
huge thanks for taking the time to provide all the great info, it's greatly appreciated (as is everyone else's advice and assistance here).
After reading your post went onto UK Ebay and picked upped an official original white Xbox 360 Media remote, brandnew and sealed for £.7.99!!! Can't really go wrong for that price. Quite a pleasant surprise to find out that you can still pick these up new quite easily.
Still like the idea of the dainty Xbox One Media Remote though, anyone out there know how to resolve the remote's power on\off issue?
I think that would probably be a job for Intel in the BIOS? It would need to recognise the Xbox One codes as I think the Power On is at the BIOS level (not sure about Off)?
Pages: 1 2