Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Flirc - Chromebox - Just gathering some intel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I just ordered a flirc device, and I was wondering about a few things

I read the wiki and looked at the flirc setup. I know about setting the sleep detection. I was wondering if that can be the power button. Or can you actually turn the box on with the power button when shut down, I doubt it, but there's a power button on the kodi preset for flirc.

Also, in the Kodi preset, there's an info button, but no OSD display button with video, audio settings and chapter selection. Would I have to use the keyboard setup to do that? Same question for pressing 'o' during playback to bring up info, would I have to use the keyboard setup for that? Can you mix the Kodi preset and keyboard setup, or do you have to pick one?

I could have figured all of this out pretty easy myself when it comes in, but I figured I'd ask since I'm sure there are people here that know.
No idea about a Chromebox but I can power-on my HTPC with a remote/flirc - think it depends on whether your motherboard supports it. There's a setting in the bios something along the lines of allow usb device/keyboard to wake from s2,s3,s4,s5. Once you've mapped a key (for power) to a button on your remote, you simply go into the bios, find the "usb/keyboard wake from..." setting, then select the key you mapped to your power button and it should work.

Yes, you can mix the Kodi preset with keyboard.
Thanks for the info.

Can anyone with a chromebox answer about the sleep detection/power button?
Set Kodi to Suspend on power off.
Set remote power button on Flirc to Power (key S for Shutdown Menu). You can power the Chromebox on and off from the remote. It's in the Chromebox Wiki.
**Start with the Kodi setup in Flirc, then switch over to keyboard to add what is missing. You can mix and match. It's only a quick guide. They don't matter specifically.

If you use a Universal Remote, you can also switch between devices. It can pretty much do whatever you want it to.
you cannot power on the ChromeBox from cold off (s5) via anything but the power button. You can power it on from suspend via USB, IR, BT, and WOL (ethernet only). With the Flirc, I wish you the best of luck; I couldn't return mine fast enough.
(2015-11-30, 10:19)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]you cannot power on the ChromeBox from cold off (s5) via anything but the power button. You can power it on from suspend via USB, IR, BT, and WOL (ethernet only). With the Flirc, I wish you the best of luck; I couldn't return mine fast enough.

Yeah that's what I thought.

Why didn't you like flirc? Mine is gonna come in tomorrow, so we'll see.
You can set the power button on the Chromebox to suspend. When you push it, it powers down. Flirc remote pushes it back on. You can also have it hibernate. Suspend allows you to pick right back up where you were. Regardless, you can't tell is on. ALL of my lights stay off (box and all plugged into it). I also removed all of the power down options from my Skin menu. Now I get suspend and reboot. The only way to completely power off is to pull the plug.

I assume the only reason you'd return it is line of sight vs say a bluetooth or rf. I have a box behind my tv and a usb extender to push the Flirc out front on 1 TV. The other is practically hidden behind my TV in a cabinet, and it still works. Mind you, that one isn't perfect, but it only misses maybe 1 or 2 pushes per 100.

If the Flirc is also double pushing our you have to push 2x to get a signal, that's also an easy fix. I had an rf remote on a different system that I liked better, due to being able to push anywhere in the house, but this is much more customized. Plus, they're 15 bucks right now Big Grin
(2015-11-30, 16:51)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]You can set the power button on the Chromebox to suspend. When you push it, it powers down. Flirc remote pushes it back on. You can also have it hibernate. Suspend allows you to pick right back up where you were. Regardless, you can't tell is on. ALL of my lights stay off (box and all plugged into it). I also removed all of the power down options from my Skin menu. Now I get suspend and reboot. The only way to completely power off is to pull the plug.

I assume the only reason you'd return it is line of sight vs say a bluetooth or rf. I have a box behind my tv and a usb extender to push the Flirc out front on 1 TV. The other is practically hidden behind my TV in a cabinet, and it still works. Mind you, that one isn't perfect, but it only misses maybe 1 or 2 pushes per 100.

If the Flirc is also double pushing our you have to push 2x to get a signal, that's also an easy fix. I had an rf remote on a different system that I liked better, due to being able to push anywhere in the house, but this is much more customized. Plus, they're 15 bucks right now Big Grin

I had the following issues with Flirc, both times I tried one:

- poor IR detection/learning - lots of double or missed presses
- no way to see what learned IR code is
- no way to emulate IR codes, only keyboard scan codes
- horrible configuration software, no way to tell what codes are actually being sent for non-KB mappings
- I could never get power on/off to work

whereas my MCE IR receiver worked perfectly OOTB.
Ah. The double / miss thing is awful...but it's fixable. It should be included in the instructions on what to do. Takes only a few seconds and you're set for good. I actually forgot about it being a thing when doing the 2nd remote...which was frustrating a 2nd time.
A way to see what they are mapped to would be nice. They show in the app as you press them, but it's not actually listed anywhere.

Power on/off is a go. Works good on both of my OpenElec machines. A laptop and a Chromebox.

It def needs some work, but I still like it. It's cooooooooool.
Ok, so I got it and set it up today.

I didn't do any power off/on. I set a wake key to the power button, and set sleep detection to on. Now the power button and only the power button wakes it up from suspend. And to suspend, I just browse the gui with arrows to the shutdown menu and hit suspend. I rarely turn off the chromebox, so this is perfect, and the times I do turn it off which is usually when I move it, I'll go ahead and manually hit the power button lol

I didn't have any other problems, it works perfectly, all the buttons, smoothly and perfectly, I've been using it all day.
Right on. I removed all my menu buttons in Nox and just use Suspend and Reboot. I like suspend to keep me where I was at. I had my flirc for like 2 years before I realized I could power the Chromebox off, so you're ahead of the curve.

Any more Flirc questions, ask. Any Chromebox stuff, I learned from Matt Devo. So... there's that. There's a lot of smarties on here, and a lot of people that just know what they know by breaking the heck out of their systems (like me) to get them to do the crazy cool things they do.