Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Goto" KODI box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

I'm looking to acquire a KODI standalone box that will work reliably. All I want it to do is stream HD movie rips over my home network - nothing fancy just stream movies to my HD TV from my NAS or USB storage with no stutter/judder and have no lag on the GUI . There are loads of £45 boxes on Ebay/Amazon which "say" they will do this, but I am very sceptical that they'll actually do anything but blow up and burn my house down. If some one could give me a link(s) to viable options I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm currently running KODI 15.2 on an aging Linux "box" which has an AMD processor. This combination mostly works perfectly, but all too frequently does not - all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, video becomes unwatchable.

Thanks Wink
(2015-11-30, 22:41)Sound Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

I'm looking to acquire a KODI standalone box that will work reliably. All I want it to do is stream HD movie rips over my home network - nothing fancy just stream movies to my HD TV from my NAS or USB storage with no stutter/judder and have no lag on the GUI . There are loads of £45 boxes on Ebay/Amazon which "say" they will do this, but I am very sceptical that they'll actually do anything but blow up and burn my house down. If some one could give me a link(s) to viable options I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm currently running KODI 15.2 on an aging Linux "box" which has an AMD processor. This combination mostly works perfectly, but all too frequently does not - all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, video becomes unwatchable.

Thanks Wink

Personally I would leave an android box well alone, they are very hit and miss and if an addon doesnt work its usually the boxes fault, so i'm told
Reliable (we hope), Fast, No stutter, judder, smooth GUI and video playback on an Android device that works out of the box with Kodi 15.2.

Solution:
- nVIDIA Shield
- WeTek Core
- MINIX NEO X8-H + (a bit old now though, will very likely be discounted soon)

Recommended Kodi / OpenELEC only (in order of price):
- RPi2 or ODROID C1+
- Tronsmart Ara X5 (Cherrytrail)
- ASUS Chromebox
- Intel Braswell gear
- Intel NUC's

New AMLogic S9XX devices, that have just been released, and may do well depending on Firmware quality.
- MINIX NEO U1
- AMLogic S9XX stuff from half decent brands like Beelink

Stay away from Rockhip devices for Android Kodi media player use, and do not buy 'Fully Loaded" dirt cheap devices from Ebay.
You are asking for trouble.
(2015-12-01, 06:38)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]do not buy 'Fully Loaded" dirt cheap devices from Ebay.
You are asking for trouble.

My thoughts exactly ! Thanks for your suggestions but the gear you describe - well - I haven't got a clue what it is, but I will spend some serious time googling it !
What I should have said in my OP is that I need a neat unit (set top box) which can be controlled by my programmable IR remote. When I see stuff like this....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-keyboar...dia+player
Seems to have everything and it was not cheap before being heavily discounted (BIG Clue there ??!)
Maybe I should be interested in add-ons but I really am not - just streaming my HD movies. So what I'm looking for is perhaps really quite niche ?

Thanks for your replies guys Wink
Its easy when you know where all the Links for the Hardware in the sub-forums are found:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216327

Also Don't believe reviews on Amazon. They are often found to be false and misleading and doctored.

What you want is a fast Kodi only device without all the fluff and rubbish that comes with Android and for that you need a device that runs a lean and mean Linux operating system called OpenELEC that Kodi actually runs on top off. It works very well and is wildly popular. The two cheap devices that fit that category are the RPi2 and the ODROID C1+

These are the only three Android devices I would buy, otherwise you are gambling with your money and will in all likelihood end up with dodgy Firmware on a box that is unreliable and will be incompatible with future Kodi versions. I have seen this time and time again with Android, spend peanuts and end up with rubbish.

- nVIDIA Shield (HD Audio support on this one)
- WeTek Core
- MINIX NEO X8-H + (a bit old now though, will very likely be discounted soon)

Possibly the new - MINIX NEO U1 as well.
I would suggest a chromebox and a flirc.TV. That will do you just fine.
Not to discredit wrxtasy he has done more than a fine job breaking down info for you.
Ha Ha, don't know how I forgot the King of OpenELEC Kodi boxes in the last 2 years, must be this Android Sub-Forum thing.
I will add it to the list for anyone reading.
Chromebox is a treat to use with OpenElec but the installation procedure might be a dealbreaker for some people. as for Android, why is nobody recommending the Fire TV stick? are there issues I am not aware of?
This bit... the original request.
Quote:from ... USB storage with no stutter/judder

Its Impossible to eliminate 3:2 pulldown judder from any Amazon FireTV gear, because it does not output 23.976fps video properly.
You really need to read this comprehensive post:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2175006
ah okay, I missed that. great list!
Also my network movies will be hard wired - no wifi - I found this too unreliable for streaming HD from my NAS.
Yes - a fast KODI only box is what I need !
(2015-12-02, 00:44)Sound Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Also my network movies will be hard wired - no wifi - I found this too unreliable for streaming HD from my NAS.
Yes - a fast KODI only box is what I need !

Then for future reference you should have posted in the Hardware forum and not in the Android forum.

That said, just get a Asus Chromebox. It's fast, reliable and has tons of support.
Ah Apologies to all - I'm obviously not fully up to speed with the Forums and so thanks for pointing me in the right direction, but also thankyou so much guys for telling me exactly what I need - Cheers !!
i'm looking to get a MXQ kodi XBMC quad core android 4.4 smart box ?? is it reliable and a decent box ?? thank-YOU for YOUR advise !!!
Pages: 1 2