Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: spincontrol's reverse no longer works?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i was actually going through a couple of skins and it seems like the reverse tag doesn't do anything in spin control. even when using pmIII, the buttons do the opposite of what they suggest (in my mind). for example, in settings, when you change the skin, down goes up the alphabet while up goes down the alphabet or when changing a theme, down goes from 1 to 4 (if there are 3 other themes) and up does from 1 to 2.

this is with the newet t3ch build in any skin. is this a bug or is there a new tag that handles reversing?
They're working fine here in all 5 skins I test with currently (xTV, PM3, Xbox Classic, MC360 + Clearity)
manturafs Wrote:down goes from 1 to 4 (if there are 3 other themes) and up does from 1 to 2.
Mentally I picture the options as they are displayed in a list

1 Top
5 Bottom

Up moves towards the top and down to the bottom. I can understand though why you would want to say UP = increment... this is similar to Big-Endian vs Little-Endian for the programmers. The current behavior is acceptable.
wow, you guys are right. i have them going backwards when i download them, but if i edit it, it goes the direction i want.

however, for some reason i can't get spincontrol's reverse to work on other pages. spincontrolex does, but not spincontrol. now am i being stupid as usual? sorry if i am, but i appreciate all the help.
I think that if you set them as a pagecontrol via <type>page</type> then it may override the behaviour (spinners were originally designed as page controls, where they "should" work opposite to how they do in settings).

Note that in all my test skins, the DOWN arrow in settings makes you go from Z->A or from 5->1. As a page control, it would occur the other way around (it would go "down" a page in the list -> increment the page number).

Cheers,
Jonathan
yeah, i'm trying to use it as a page control and i can't seem to get the reverse to work. even though they work opposite, is there a way to reverse their direction?
I don't think so currently (other than the obvious switching of the up/down images).

It can probably be done reasonably easily though - I'll check the source later on.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Ok, checked the source. We *could* enable <reverse> in page spincontrols, but it would affect all skins currently using them, as we currently force it to false, whereas in most skins I suspect they have defaults of true. This would reverse the behaviour of all skins.

I'll wait till I've chatted with some more skinners about this before doing anything.

Cheers,
Jonathan
thanks so much. i think it would be an easy fix for most skins, at least for xTV since it's in the commonviewtypes, but i agree if it's a hassle, to maybe leave it alone even though it'd be a nice option. thanks soo much! if you want to see a picture of why i want this, i'd be happy to send you a screenshot. Smile
OK I think logically they work as should now if your on the down arrow then it goes down the pages in the list opposite for up
Pesonally I can't see why if you want the downarrow to actually go up a page why not just add / change the image tags so the opposite images display
Quote:<textureup>scroll-down.png</textureup>
<texturedown>scroll-up.png</texturedown>
<textureupfocus>scroll-down-focus.png</textureupfocus>
<texturedownfocus>scroll-up-focus.png</texturedownfocus>
i know exactly what you mean. if you use it traditionally, you're right, it does work the way most people want it. that's why i offered to send a screenshot of why i think it could be useful, if people are doing the same thing I am trying to do. doubtful, but maybe. since this affects others though, i guess i should post a screen so everyone can see. in essence, i'm making left and right to represent up and down and it doesn't quite look right if you just switch the images. anyway, maybe a screenshot of what i've done so far will help:

like i said before though, if it's too much of a hassle, i can live with this. it's just slightly counterintuitive with a view like this. i don't want to cause a lot of work for skinners so it's cool if need be to leave it as is. besides, if you are from japan, the flipping pages do make sense i think. Wink
the screenshot also explains why in another topic why i thought it'd be nice to have a system.sort label if you look at the top menu. also, to explain the picture, the left button makes it from page 1 to page 2 while the one on the right goes from page 1 to page 16. of course the pictures are up to interpretation so you could say the "user" has turned the page 3/4 of the way already representing the buttons correctly. that's why i'm ok if we just leave it as is. i thought i'd just bring it up.