Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Switch MKV audio streams / subtiles tracks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
is better matroska support considered a 'bug' that will be taken care of within the current feature freeze? or is it considered a feature and not going to be looked at? currently matroska support doesn't offer subtitle or audio stream switching. seeking is also as bad as old ogm support.

mkv has awesome potential and i would love to see support and usage take off for it, but hiccups like this really undermine the movement.

oh yeah and while i'm writing, whatever happened to the xine engine plugin? did that kinda get swept under?
(dsnchntd @ may 06 2004,03:57 Wrote:matroska support doesn't offer subtitle or audio stream switching, is it considered a feature and not going to be looked at?
those are feature/functions, not bugs (as they never worked in xbmc), moving this to the existing request in the feature suggestions,
(that does not mean they won't be looked at as any dev may submit a patch for it, it does however mean it's no prioritized for 1.0)

(dsnchntd @ may 06 2004,03:57 Wrote:oh yeah and while i'm writing, whatever happened to the xine engine plugin? did that kinda get swept under?
off-topic but know that we never said it would be done, we said it could be done, (no, no one on the xbmc-team is working on it)
technically it could probably be sneaked in as an update to an existing feature (audio/sub switching). which already works for avi and ogm. in fact we now have switching for multiple subs as well as audio tracks in ogm, it was just added to cvs a couple of days ago. very impressive when you think about it.

i agree that it a big shame we don't have it yet since xbmc does cope so well with mkv's, pretty much any combination of video/audio codes works fine. the problem being the matroska container is often only used when multiple audio and sub tracks are needed. hence support is a bit redundant with out it (of course i would say that since i'm an anime fan and therefore biased Wink . it would also round off the feature set for 1.0 final very nicely, that and say a fix for aac channel output would be just peachy Smile
yeah rounding out feature support for 'media types' would be a good thing for a 'media player'. =p i believe you are right when you say mkv as well as ogm are mainly used only when there are multiple audio or soft subtitle streams to select from. being unable to switch between them really undermines the whole idea behind the author's selection of these media container types instead of avi. i use xbmc daily and love it. i just wish i could rely on it to work with all of the media i have instead of having to worry if it will work with xbmc or not because it might be ogm or mkv.
hi

after finally getting around to installing xmbc (was using xbmp this whole time), i wanted to try out an mkv file since mc had the codecs for it.  
plays and all, just cant seem to switch the audio stream (samething seems to happen with my ogms now). i've played it off both xbox and dvd (which it cant seem to "see" the files, but plays it anyway *shrug*) hoping that was the reason -_-;; .

wonderin if anyone could help me out here.
is there something im forgeting to do?
there's no support for switching audio via the osd at the moment for mkv's, only sub switching.

ogm's should work fine however.

there is a trick to playing another audio track using an mplayer feature:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=238803
dang
ah well

thanks ^_^
hi,

i have a ton of anime in mkv, and at the moment i'm being forced to watch it with american dubbing - its driving me crazy! :nuts:

i'm wandering if there is anyway to change the audio language?

if not from within xbmc then, by changing some setting somewhere, or hell, even editing the mkv to make japanese the default audio.. any help will be greatly appreciated Smile

thanks!

*edit: i did find:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;hl=mkv
but its really very little help Smile
that thread doesn't actually go into detail on how to select the audio with a .conf file. if you haven't found the full info let me know and i'll type it out here.
please do enlighten me on the subject - i would be etenally greatful Smile
it's very simple.

create a text file named the same as your video file but with the added extension .conf eg:

dead.like.me.s01e03.mkv

would mean your text file would be called :

dead.like.me.s01e03.mkv.conf

inside the text file add the line:

aid=1

place the .conf file in the same dir as your video file and play the mkv file.

it should then play with the second audio track. this is an mplayer feature that's supported in xbmc as a stop gap measure untill proper track switching is supported in the osd.
will try this a little later - if this works (and i presume it will) i will love you forever Smile thanks
hello,

first of all thank you for this great player xbmc.

but i suggest to add 2 things that would be very great for playing movies.

1) to be possible to switch between the different audio's streams with mkv

2) add vosub subtitles support in compressed mode ( still with mkv)

thanks !
(psydov @ aug. 31 2004,14:51 Wrote:2) add vosub subtitles support in compressed mode ( still with mkv)
off-topic, plus merged your post into the existing suggestion thread. please, search before posting in the future (forum rule!Wink
hey there, following on from deltop's suggestion that you make a txt file with the same name as your video file, save as a .conf file and put aid=1 in it. if like me all your ogm's and mkv's are anime and you hate to hear their lovely japanese voices tainted with an american accent (no offence meant :p ) just stick the line aid=1 in mplayer.conf. for people like me who can't make these seperate .conf files because all my anime is burnt to dvd's it's a quick and easy solution until proper audio changing comes about.
Pages: 1 2 3 4