Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Starting Out Right (NAS - related)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Qnap 451 NAS inbound and intend to use a Shield TV as the 'head end' with all ISO/MKV files (and preferably the Kodi DB and files) on the NAS since there's redundancy (RAID5). This particular NAS (allegedly) supports both Kodi and MySQL directly on the unit. I'd like to do this once, the right way, rather than figure out how to relocate a bunch of stuff later and run into a bunch of hassles.

I'm confused about the best way to go about this. Would you guys recommend:
1) Install Kodi on the NAS and use an instance of Kodi in 'client mode' on the Shield?
2) Install Kodi on the Shield and move all the support files (and the db?) to the NAS?

In either case, if y'all could point me to a guide for how to best configure, that'd be great. Just trying to get my head around how it works.

Thanks in advance!
congratulations on your new NAS! I've been running on a qnap since 2007 and am very pleased.

you may want to take a look at this http://emby.media/community/index.php?/b...-for-qnap/
Generally I'd use the NAS as the filestore and database store (via MySQL or emby as @bry- suggests), and then just use Kodi locally on the Shield (or whatever) as the media player. The Qnap is a slightly unusual case that it has HDMI output too, so it can act as both server and media player.

For how to set up MySQL, look in the wiki under Mysql (wiki) for details on how to set it up, and the caveats and notes involved. It doesn't specifically cover the Qnap, but the general commands and procedure works with a suitable SQL server (I used it to set up a database on my WD NAS using phpMyAdmin for example).

There is no "client mode" in Kodi per-se, although it can act as things like a DLNA renderer and a play-to target via uPnP. But in this scenario I'd let the NAS do the heavy lifting of any transcoding and such, and to keep the database centralised and shared via MySQL or Emby.
(2015-12-02, 17:18)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]congratulations on your new NAS! I've been running on a qnap since 2007 and am very pleased.

you may want to take a look at this http://emby.media/community/index.php?/b...-for-qnap/
Reassuring that I made the right choice of NAS. However I'm not sure why I'd want Emby when I'm asking for input on a Kodi forum. ;-)

(2015-12-02, 17:29)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Generally I'd use the NAS as the filestore and database store (via MySQL or emby as @bry- suggests), and then just use Kodi locally on the Shield (or whatever) as the media player. The Qnap is a slightly unusual case that it has HDMI output too, so it can act as both server and media player.
Yes, that's pretty much what I had in mind, though there's some question about whether MySQL is preinstalled on the Qnap or not. I'll probably need help with the .xml file at some point. Since I'll be running BluRay content at native resolutions, my thinking is that the Shield will be far better at putting the image on the screen than relying on whatever the NAS has in there, no? IOW, I was planning to stream the content over my network, rather than hooking the unit up to my TV since that's not a practical setup for me at this time.
(2015-12-02, 18:48)Cincinnatus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 17:18)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]congratulations on your new NAS! I've been running on a qnap since 2007 and am very pleased.

Reassuring that I made the right choice of NAS. However I'm not sure why I'd want Emby when I'm asking for input on a Kodi forum. ;-)

This is one reason: https://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/
(2015-12-02, 18:48)Cincinnatus Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's pretty much what I had in mind, though there's some question about whether MySQL is preinstalled on the Qnap or not. I'll probably need help with the .xml file at some point. Since I'll be running BluRay content at native resolutions, my thinking is that the Shield will be far better at putting the image on the screen than relying on whatever the NAS has in there, no? IOW, I was planning to stream the content over my network, rather than hooking the unit up to my TV since that's not a practical setup for me at this time.

From the reviews (example) it has built-in server with web-based management via phpMyAdmin. Although to be honest I'd be amazed if anything other than bargain-bucket NAS boxes don't have it these days.

The commands to use to set it up are in the wiki page I linked before, you can use them via phpMyAdmin to set it up. So you have multiple options to choose from Smile
(2015-12-02, 16:57)Cincinnatus Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to do this once, the right way, rather than figure out how to relocate a bunch of stuff later and run into a bunch of hassles.
Where is the fun in that?

Follow DarrenHill's last update. The Qnap has a web-based phpMyAdin app that you install and setup. This what I used for the period of time I had my library database on my Qnap.
(2015-12-02, 17:18)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]This is one reason: https://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/
Interesting. So, I take it that Emby is a replacement for MySQL, yes?

(2015-12-02, 19:05)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]From the reviews (example) it has built-in server with web-based management via phpMyAdmin...
The commands to use to set it up are in the wiki page I linked before, you can use them via phpMyAdmin to set it up. So you have multiple options to choose from Smile
Roger that. I intend to also run OwnCloud and possibly other utilities, so that would probably be the direction I'd go in. I've had some passing experience with PMA on a web hosting account for running my (Joomla) websites, so it should be familiar enough. Thanks!
(2015-12-02, 19:15)Cincinnatus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 17:18)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]This is one reason: https://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-kodi/

yes
(2015-12-02, 19:18)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-02, 19:15)Cincinnatus Wrote: [ -> ]

yes
Well, after twaddling around unsuccessfully with MySQL and not liking how Kodi ran on my NAS, I took the plunge and installed Emby server. So far, so good. Now to go and configure a skin that I like. AeonMQ6 looks pretty good, but talk about overkill. On the other end of the spectrum, Conq is very minimalistic. I guess I'll just have to test 'em both.

ETA: For those with a QNAP NAS that is equipped with an HDMI port, what they don't tell you is that Kodi must run in their 'HD Station' environment which requires a monitor be hooked up to view and a keyboard/mouse to navigate and for input, presumably because it's not a true server app. Emby differs in that it can be accessed, managed, edited and even viewed via a web browser so that the NAS does not have to be tethered to a monitor, not an option in my case.