Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on Mac to CHROMECAST? How to do it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, New to Kodi and this forum and very confused.

I installed Kodi and I can play movies on my computer, it's great!!!!

But I don't want to watch on my laptop or desktop. I want it on my 70" TV. So, husband did his research (so he said) and bought a CHROMECAST. I followed all the instructions but where everyone say: click the "PLAY USING..." and select the CHROMECAST device... Well I don't even get the PLAY USING. I only get "PLAY FROM HERE". I tried everything but I am getting the sick feeling that there is nothing to get the darn Kodi movie to cast to my TV with the audio. I read that I needed to install BUBBLEUPnP but it doesn't look like it's for mac computers. Maybe there is something like BUBBLEUPnP that is for mac??

What I want to do:

Open Kodi and cast the movie to my chromecast device.
If it can't be done, can a laptop be connected to the TV (please tell me the wires I would need) and play the Kodi movies that way?
When you have a MAC, which a lot of people have, how do you play the Kodi movies to the TV?

Before anybody ask:

- YES, the chromecast device works fine I can cast from my iphone on it and play youtube just fine.
- No, I don't have a windows computer, I am a MAC GIRL all the way ;-)
- No, I don't have an Android phone, I am a MAC GIRL all the way ;-)

My information:

KODI 15.2
Macbook
OS 10.7.5
2 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4GB Ram
You can connect a cable to the tv - which one is dependend on the mac you have (something which comes out as HDMI will work).

As you said - you are a Mac Girl. Sadly Chromecast is a google product and i have no clue where it is stated that you can cast to it from Kodi (if i am not in the wrong universe today this is simply not possible).
You need Beamer app in order to play from your Mac to TV (either through Apple TV or Chromecast).
(2015-12-03, 15:12)smera Wrote: [ -> ]You need Beamer app in order to play from your Mac to TV (either through Apple TV or Chromecast).

Hi, thanks for the great info. But, it says "Beamer 3.0 requires OS X Yosemite (10.10) or later." and I have "OS 10.7.5". I have no idea how to upgrade to 10.10. I don't want to buy an OS system right now. If I were able to figure out how to get to 10.10 free I read about beamer and it says "drag and drop movies in the beamer app". Not sure how I would drop the movie from Kodi in the beamer app, it's not a video file, it's the kodi software that is playing the movie.

UPDATE: I emailed the Beamer App company and they said "Beamer only supports common video files and does not support any type of streaming sites or services". Just posting the information sot hat other people do not go down the road of beamer for Kodi. But, I do appreciate the help and suggestion.

I really wish that the Kodi software would have a built-in casting option. It should be in the app since they have to know that people will want to cast things to the TV.
(2015-12-03, 08:11)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]You can connect a cable to the tv - which one is dependend on the mac you have (something which comes out as HDMI will work).

As you said - you are a Mac Girl. Sadly Chromecast is a google product and i have no clue where it is stated that you can cast to it from Kodi (if i am not in the wrong universe today this is simply not possible).

Well, my husband said people use that google cast chromecast device to cast from Kodi. There is plenty of videos on youtube showing it. But, they all talk about something like BUBBLEUpNP or orther little software like it. But, the husband didn't look before buying that it would work on Mac, he just assumed that if it worked on windows it would work on a mac. He didn't look to see if the BUBBLEUpNP was available for Mac, and it's not.

As for cables, here's the pic of my laptop port, what would you suggest?

that one left to the headphone plug - could be mini displayport - but not sure...
Further unsuccessful Casting details in this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=232804
(2015-12-04, 08:13)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]that one left to the headphone plug - could be mini displayport - but not sure...

correct, it is the mini display port.
So, you are telling me that if I got a MINI DISPLAY cable on 1 end and a HDMI on the other end I could play Kodi on my tv? Does that also mean that the audio would come out of my TV? Because i don't want to hear a great movie thru the little crappy speakers in my laptop ;-)

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great!
Last time I tried connecting up this way with a Macbook as old as yours I had to get a seperate Headphone to dual RCA jack to feed that separately into the TV for Audio. There is no Audio over HDMI on that type of Macbook. You will find also the fans on the old Dual Core 2 Duo are pretty loud when playing 1080p video in Kodi.

It all got too messy in the end with cables everywhere and loud fans noises, that I just went out and bought a RPi2 and a cheap usb HDD. Silence then, and Kodi can be controlled from any HDMI CEC compatible TV, with the TV remote. Smile
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-h...ur-tv.html

hw decode via videotoolbox should work, I was using those cpu class macbooks/macmini when I created the videotoobox codec.
The best way to connect your mac and TV will be to use Apple tv (not necessarily the latest model) which should be connected to your TV and serve as an intermediary to airplay the content from your mac. Also, you can update your OSX to the latest free of charge, just go to apps and update to the latest OSX.
Appletv is definitly NOT the best way to connect a Mac to the tv - a cable is!
Just an FYI, that's mini-VGA, not mini-display port: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-VGA

That would require an additional VGA to HDMI converter, or a TV with VGA in, along with an additional audio cable.
the op should go to an apple store with that macbook and let the geniusses pick the cable for sure Wink - thx ned...
Pages: 1 2