Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Viewing Album Information Adds Artists Not In Music File Tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Actually I'm using this scripting in musicbrainz (that cancels some tags):

$set(albumartistsort,%%)
$set(artists,%%)
$set(artistsort,%%)
$set(musicbrainz_artistid,%%)
$set(musicbrainz_albumartistid,%%)

And these settings on kodi:

Include artists who appear only on compilations -> no
Prefer online information -> no

In musicbrainz I add all album artists I'm interested in under "Album Artist" using "edit" and then "add value"

This way I overide double tags and have all the artists in the library.
But can anyone tell me why kodi keeps adding other album artists (that I don't put in the tags) while fetching "album informations"?
I didn't checked "prefer online information" and can't see any other related setting under providers addons configurations.
It adds them with no space and no slash between them, except for the last one, which comes after a " & ".
Also the library is now huge and with artists I'm not interested in.
Is there not either a way to exclude certain artists from listing in the library? Can't find it in advancedsettings.xml wiki.
For a jazz library is a pain to have hundreds of artists who appear only on one album.
I don't want to erase all the musicbrainz ids.
thread split on request
(2015-11-28, 23:54)gorx76 Wrote: [ -> ]But can anyone tell me why kodi keeps adding other album artists (that I don't put in the tags) while fetching "album informations"?
I didn't checked "prefer online information" and can't see any other related setting under providers addons configurations.
It adds them with no space and no slash between them, except for the last one, which comes after a " & ".
Also the library is now huge and with artists I'm not interested in.

Nice to know that I am not the only person to experience this problem! It is a bug. Tag everything nicely, populate your library, and then scrape (either item at a time by looking at album information or using the "Query info for all..." context menu item) and, despite the settings, the artists in the library are changed. It happens when the external information source has more/less/different artists to those in the tags, or if the scraper mis-identifies the album. Nothing changes your music files, but the music library is corrupted.

The good news is that I have just fixed this in Jarvis Smile

See PR8529. It will be in the next release. Unfortunately you will need to scan your music into the library again to get the benefit. If you have the "prefer online information" disabled then Jarvis will not change the artists in the library when you scrape album info. But also Jarvis does not scrape additional artist or album information unbidden, you have to initiate the scraping either by refreshing from the info dialog, from the context menu, or by setting "fetch additional information on updates".

Quote:Is there not either a way to exclude certain artists from listing in the library? Can't find it in advancedsettings.xml wiki.
For a jazz library is a pain to have hundreds of artists who appear only on one album.
I don't want to erase all the musicbrainz ids.

You will get as many artists as you have musicbrainz ids.

However you can use ALBUMARTIST and matching musicbrainz_albumartistID tags, along with disabling the "Include artists who appear only on compilations" setting to limit your view to primary (album) artists only. This may need changes to the tagging, remember the number of artist names and mbids must match, but it just might be a matter of using the "Include artists who appear only on compilations" setting. Have you disabled that setting?
(2015-12-09, 15:14)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]setting "fetch additional information on updates".

Could you explain any more exactly what this does? Per wiki "Automatically fetches album and artist information via scrapers during scan." I have always enabled this though it defaults to off. I was thinking the scrapers are only called when a new artist or album is added to the db?

scott s.
(2015-12-09, 23:24)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-09, 15:14)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]setting "fetch additional information on updates".
Could you explain any more exactly what this does? Per wiki "Automatically fetches album and artist information via scrapers during scan." I have always enabled this though it defaults to off. I was thinking the scrapers are only called when a new artist or album is added to the db?

I'm surprized you enable this Scott, I'm sure you said elsewhere that you edit your database in SQL to set the lastscraped date to not null to prevent the scraper from running unbidden.

But it does pretty much what you thought it does. If "fetch additional information on updates" is enabled then when a music file has been scanned for tags Kodi also attempts to scrape additional data. But scraping only happens when the album lastscraped date is null (it has not been scraped before or is a new album). Only if info is found and added for the album is scraping attempted for the associated artists (both album and all songs). Again each artist is only scraped if the lastscraped date is null.

Tag scanning happens because you have added a new music source and manually scanned to library, or the files that the library has data from have been changed and you either clicked on update library or you have "update library on startup" enabled.

You may think why check the lastscraped date? Well my guess is that it stops Kodi from repeatedly hitting the external databases requesting data it already has (or has attempted to get). It also, in Isengard at least, created a way to stop the scraper changing artist data unbidden when you accidentally looked at album info!