Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WIP] DroidTV - Inspired by Android TV and Leanback Launcher
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
<rambling>

Hello all!

It's been a while since I've tried my hand at Kodi skinning...but I've taken it up again.

This is *another* skin inspired by Leanback Launcher, the default UI for Android TV devices. As I am an owner of a Nexus Player, an avid Android developer on XDA-developers.com, and familiar with the Kodi skinning language, I figured I'd be a great candidate to try my hand at this.

And so, here we are.

This is currently a WIP with no ETA for a release. I do this in my freetime, as I can.

Currently, I have the home screen set up to use 3x widgets - I still need to create "recommended" tiles, as well as add more widgets if desired. Each widget uses the Skin Shortcuts addon and allows for customizing the path, label, and layout style of the items.

The search window needs more work - it currently leverages Universal Search, but I will be playing with this to see what else I can do. The "search results" dialog still needs to be redone to be styled like Goooogle does.

I've begun work on the video window and default "leanback" browse view, but this is very tricky. It requires a lot of manual conditionals and such to work right, and I've still got bugs to work out. However...it's begun.

As you can see, I'm using the latest extendedInfo script to provide the info dialog - I'll be working on this to try and make it faster.

I've also *started* laying out the settings screen, and adding certain elements that will need to be used systemwide.

In short - it's still a mess. It's been a few years since I've done Kodi work. A lot has changed, and I've forgotten even more! But, as you can see, I've made this much progress in a little over a week, and I anticipate even more to fall into place now that I've worked out some of the more technical stuff.

And no - this is not affiliated with the project started by BigNoid. He and I discussed collaborating several months ago, but I haven't heard from him since. TBH, I would much more prefer to just work together with him. But alas, I'm impatient, so I started by myself. Hopefully, he and I can get together some time down the road and team up.

Stay tuned for updates!! Big Grin

Video:

This looks fantastic! I really like this. Since no other leanback skin has been released yet this looks amazing. My question is though, what does the Plex icon do? I know what Plex is and I use it myself but what will it open? PleXBMC? Great job!
(2015-12-07, 20:30)GamerGabe Wrote: [ -> ]This looks fantastic! I really like this. Since no other leanback skin has been released yet this looks amazing. My question is though, what does the Plex icon do? I know what Plex is and I use it myself but what will it open? PleXBMC? Great job!

Yes, when it's finished, the "app" row will auto-populate based on the currently installed video/music addons. Similarly, the Google Music icon will optionally launch the Google Music app. I intend on supporting NetfilxBMC and Advanced launcher, amongst others.

Big Grin
Looks great, very faithful to the launcher.
Looking awesome digital. I'm so glad someone like yourself has taken this up. I really like material design myself and use android studio regularly in my profession, so am often over at xda as well Smile

Please update us when you're able to, I'll be watching this thread eagerly!
Thanks.
(2015-12-07, 21:50)TheLegendOfMart Wrote: [ -> ]Looks great, very faithful to the launcher.

Thank you, I am trying to be as on-the-nose with everything as possible...almost to a fault. I have a bajillion screenshots and videos of every aspect of ATV - my desk is just littered with pieces of paper where I've jotted down the dimensions and scales of all the elements.

Also, many of the elements in the skin are taken straight from the decompiled APKs that make up Leanback. (Kinda makes me wish Kodi supported 9-patch images)

So, faithful is definitely the goal.

(2015-12-07, 21:54)filthycatbox Wrote: [ -> ]Looking awesome digital. I'm so glad someone like yourself has taken this up. I really like material design myself and use android studio regularly in my profession, so am often over at xda as well Smile

Please update us when you're able to, I'll be watching this thread eagerly!
Thanks.

What device do you use? I've got ROMS for the HTC M8 and Nexus 6P...both support any carrier. My name on XDA is also Digitalhigh. Big Grin
(2015-12-07, 22:02)digitalhigh Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you, I am trying to be as on-the-nose with everything as possible...almost to a fault. I have a bajillion screenshots and videos of every aspect of ATV - my desk is just littered with pieces of paper where I've jotted down the dimensions and scales of all the elements.

Also, many of the elements in the skin are taken straight from the decompiled APKs that make up Leanback. (Kinda makes me wish Kodi supported 9-patch images)

So, faithful is definitely the goal.

Haha that is awesome. I look forward to using it.
Currently I use a Nexus 6P, Nexus 7 and Moto G. I use them for the precise reason of getting the Android experience without Sony, Samsung etc. design over the top so haven't used and ROMs since my last Galaxy phone.

I almost never post at xda, but I always end up browsing round there trying to find a solution for whatever xml or device specific related problem I have.

I'll check out your ROMs though at some point.
Wow! Very cool looking skin!
Quick update - "Main" settings screen is more or less done! I just need to add content items for the bottom row, icons, and some logic to display it all. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/H_YziEGouRs

Edit: Apparently, my screencap program is also recording the mic from my workstation. Whoops!!
I know you already said but the settings look identical to my android box, I love it.
Looking forward to it!
Possible to make a request on support for Arial (as the Kodi built-in Arial font supports unicode language characters such as Chinese and Japanese) or have the font you are including in the skin to support unicode language characters?
(2015-12-08, 18:21)springroll Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to it!
Possible to make a request on support for Arial (as the Kodi built-in Arial font supports unicode language characters such as Chinese and Japanese) or have the font you are including in the skin to support unicode language characters?

From what I understand, the Roboto font family (what I'm using here) supports Unicode:

https://www.google.com/design/spec/style...y-typeface
This is truly above and beyond Smile Brilliant job my friend. Eagerly looking forward to this amazing skin!

(2015-12-08, 19:04)digitalhigh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-08, 18:21)springroll Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to it!

From what I understand, the Roboto font family (what I'm using here) supports Unicode:

https://www.google.com/design/spec/style...y-typeface

I just tried to verify this by switching to Roboto in Hitcher's FTV skin. Unfortunately, it doesn't display the unicode characters in Chinese/Japanese/etc. If the skin itself has its own Roboto font, perhaps it'd support Unicode?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5