Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 720p Support Nvidia Shield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got an Nvidia Shield and loaded up Kodi. Kodi works and plays my movies, however, when on the home screen, the edges are cut off. I tried going into the video settings to set 720p, but it seems the only option I have is video calibration. I tried flipping through the advanced and expert modes, but nothing changes.

Is the option for 720p removed as a result of most everything now being 1080p? Is this an issue with kodi on android TV? I looked through the settings of Android TV, but didnt see anything for video format, but the home screen here appears to be normal and not cutoff, but I cannot say for sure.

I was thinking there are only a few options:

- figure out the actual format android tv is displayed in and make sure it is 720p
- force 720p somewhere in a config file of kodi or the android tv so it is passed to kodi correctly
- ignore the calibration screen saying 1080p and just calibrate to fit and move on. However, I am not sure what impact this has on content that is not 1080p, would it suddenly appear smaller and not fill the screen?
I don't know how it is on other Android (TV) devices, but on Nvidia Shield TV Kodi cannot change the resolution (only the refresh rate).
The resolution is set in he system settings in the HDMI settings.
Is the maximum resolution of your TV 720p or are you just having overscan issues?

Most modern TVs are 1080p compatible. The resolution of your content has no bearing on the resolution of your display. For example, if you play a 720p video on a 1080p screen it just gets upscaled.

If you are just having overscan issues then the Shield has it's own overscan adjustment settings in the Android TV interface.
the TV is 720P max. I come from a time when I saved money and got 720 over 1080 to save as it made little difference and I havent upgraded since it works...

I will look in the HDMI settings. I was expecting a resolution setting and never looked at "overscan" I recall seeing it there, so I will look. Should I expect an option to set 720?
It should already be set to 720p. The HDMI connection should detect that as your maximum resolution. Hopefully you just need to adjust the overscan. Also you can check the resolution Kodi is running at in the system info I think.
Went into hdmi, not sure if I missed it or what, but saw resolution setting. It is set to 1080p recommended, but it is grayed out and I cannot change it. My TV is for sure 720, so not sure why the shield won't let me change it.

So should I just adjust over scan to fit and move on or is that bad?
It's possible that your TV is "spoofing" 1080p and doing the scaling itself, otherwise I'm at a loss. I'd try adjust the native Android TV overscan settings and see how it looks from there. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
It appears setting the screen to fit in the shield settings works. Menus are no longer cut off. Regardless if it wants to call it 1080p or not...