Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HummingBoard-Edge-i4Pro(iMX6 Quad) Linux Distro + KODI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am new to KODI & looking for some advice please.

I have very specific requirement that I want to use HummingBoard-Edge - i4Pro (iMX6 Quad) as a TV box. I also want to decrypt the video file before playing with KODI itself so that video file which is encrypted by some encryption tool will be played only by KODI. For that I would have to tweak KODI source code for dvdplayer I guess.

Question - 1 -> From where should I start to find the places in KODI source code so that I could add some decryption method in KODI dvdplayer for Video file decryption. Any suggestions, any pointers are very much welcome.

Question - 2 -> As I have to tweak KODI (as per my guess) I think I have to first install some linux distro on Hummingboard & then install KODI on that OS. So can you please suggest some linux distro for the same & how I could install OS + KODI on the board.

Question - 3 -> Will KODI use HummingBoards hardware acceleration successfully to play H.264 video?

Again, any suggestion, advice are welcome. Thanks in advance for the guidance. Smile
For question 1+2:

DVDs are playing back fine with vanilla Kodi. You could insert a disc at a drive and play this directly. Nothing need to be added to the code, if we are talking about DVDs.

For BR it's a bit harder. But you can use the makemkv plugin, I guess. Never tested it. So I'm not sure how good or bad it will work.

Not sure for question nr 3.

But, if I look at the price here: http://varia-store.com/Hardware/SolidRun...28375.html

so it's about 200€....I would better take a look at some Intel NUCs and use a normal Linux distro (ubuntu for example) for that. There are several reasons for using intel NUCs. See here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

So I would suggest something from the Braswell or Broadwell family.

But it's your choice Wink
Do you already own a HummingBoard-Edge which is why you are stuck on it?
(2015-12-09, 20:31)katsup Wrote: [ -> ]Do you already own a HummingBoard-Edge which is why you are stuck on it?
Thanks for your reply.

NO, I don't have the board but I have decided to go with this one because it fulfill my requirements which are ->
Bluetooth (4.0 preferable), HDMI (1.4+), USB Ports(More than 2 is required & 3.0 would be good to have), Should have SoC of reputed manufacturer (In this case it is FreeScale), it should support H.264 h/w acceleration (For 1080p@30 fps), Good support of KODI & Board manufacturer should provide good support of few linux distros.

Any other suggestions for board are welcome because I don't have purchased the board yet. And I would request you if you can provide answers of my 3 questions for some different suggestions too.

Thank you again
(2015-12-09, 15:01)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]For question 1+2:

DVDs are playing back fine with vanilla Kodi. You could insert a disc at a drive and play this directly. Nothing need to be added to the code, if we are talking about DVDs.

For BR it's a bit harder. But you can use the makemkv plugin, I guess. Never tested it. So I'm not sure how good or bad it will work.

Not sure for question nr 3.

But, if I look at the price here: http://varia-store.com/Hardware/SolidRun...28375.html

so it's about 200€....I would better take a look at some Intel NUCs and use a normal Linux distro (ubuntu for example) for that. There are several reasons for using intel NUCs. See here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

So I would suggest something from the Braswell or Broadwell family.

But it's your choice Wink

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I think I was unable to pass my requirements properly. Basically I want to encrypt a Video file with some encryption standard such as AES-258 so that without proper decryption that file won't be played/opened. As I'd have to decrypt that file before passing to KODI's dvdplayer I thought that I should implement some decryption method right inside the KODI's source code somewhere before KODI pass the video file to the dvdplayer. But as of now I am unable to find such place in KODI source code. I guess I should be searching around the dvdplayer code in the source code.

So, can you please suggest me some file/s in the source code where I can start surfing to add my decryption method. Any pointers/ideas/suggestions are great.

Also thanks for Intel NUC's suggestion. I'd surely check that & inform you if any doubts.

Thanks again..Smile