Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Legality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a legal question. I am selling a type of service that requires a computer. I want to use a modded xbox as the computer since they are inexpensive. Is it legal to do this if I use a softmod? Remember this is a service they are buying not the modified hardware. The customer will be required to sign a contract stating that they do not own the hardware.
How is this related to xbmc?
Not looking for a smart ass question to answer my question. I want to know if what I want to do WITH XBMC (this is the part where its about xbmc for those of us who cant keep up) and an xbox is legal.
given that you never mentioned xbmc in your first post, the question was totally valid, so don't start trolling.

if we are talking xbmc, technically it is not legal to distribute compiled xbox xdk compiled binaries in any way. thus it would be rather shady if you included any such software on the box. when it comes to xbmc itself you should just read up on GPL licence.

if you however lend out the xbox with a softmod starting linux, you are on much more solid ground.
Thanks elupus for the reply. I figured that since I was posting in an XBMC forum that one would assume that XBMC would be the os. Sorry if I seemed like I was trolling. So you are telling me I cannot legally use XBMC as the os, but Linux would put me on solid ground, so I am assuming this may not be entirely kosher either?
You would need to check the license agreement my microsoft for the xbox, to see if it is allowed to be used by anything other than microsoft products or verified games. Obviously anything you do to the xbox would void your warranty, but whethere or not you are breaking the law or not is a different story.

Sattelite companies give you access cards, which are ultimately owned by the company, not by you, you just "lease" them from the company... hence, any tampering of the card is illegal, because it's their property.

If microsoft did something silly like that, then I can see that being the only way it would be against the law.
XBMC is not an OS, it's an application - technically a game if you will

Linux is the way to go. Easy to do with softmod too and should be 100% legit since you do not run any copyrighted code
Hallowpinyo Wrote:Obviously anything you do to the xbox would void your warranty

It's not exactly: a guy from Xbox-Linux broke her XBox and the Technicall Service repaired because it was softmodded and not opened... and it hadded Linux instead Microsoft software.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/FAQ#Will_...g_Linux.3F
Ahh interesting. What i should have said is, opening your box (didnt even think of softmodding).