Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can someone remove this thread from the garbage bin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This old thread has been helpful to a lot of developers, I believe the offending posts should have been split & binned, not the whole thread. Thanks

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=93280
perhaps someone can merge the first four posts or so into a tutorial and put it on the wiki.

i don't think we want to resurrect the thread as it will be abused as an exchange for piracy streams again.
(2015-12-12, 05:52)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps someone can merge the first four posts or so into a tutorial and put it on the wiki.

i don't think we want to resurrect the thread as it will be abused as an exchange for piracy streams again.

Can we unbin, split offending posts and close the thread? Maybe stick it under the development section?
(2015-12-12, 17:47)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-12-12, 05:52)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps someone can merge the first four posts or so into a tutorial and put it on the wiki.

Can we unbin, split offending posts and close the thread? Maybe stick it under the development section?

Looking through the entire thread post #4 and possibly post #1 are about the only posts where it isn't either: 1) someone posting a link or 2) someone requesting a link.
I struggle to see what is of value to a developer. What else are you referring to?
A lot of those links are to legal content, and the troubleshooting taken to get those URLs working is information in itself. Very little of what is in that thread is documented anywhere else, because it was a great deal of trial and error. Most of the piracy links only seeped in in the last couple of years. One could split the thread off at about 2014 and then lock the thread, which would take care of most concerns on both sides with minimal effort.

I hope this doesn't mean the mods are going to start banning topics just because they're magnets for users who don't read the rules. Kodi itself is such a magnet. STRM files are a significant feature in Kodi, and it appears it is now a banned topic? I can tell you first hand that it is not that hard to moderate such threads. However, some threads get hidden or overlooked because of the number of subforums. Some times things like this slip past. It happened with the IPTV Simple Client PVR add-on in the past, and fixing it was just a matter of making mods aware to check those sub-forums more often. Saying "by the way, this is an area of concern".

For myself, I'll save an offline copy and maybe have time for it to add to the wiki someday in the future. I doubt I'll have time, so it would be nice if it was available to others so they had the option of adding it themselves.

*shrug*

No hard feelings either way.
If you can point me to any pre-2015 links that are legal and still functional or there is a description of how actually how to find the stream, I'll look into breaking them out. Other than the first 3 or 4 posts (which contain information, but the links are not functional), I don't see any.
Even the older non functional links to CSPAN have nice examples of when things didn't work and needed a parameter adjusted (just one example). It's the kind of information that could be turned into a generic guide without having to play the specific links. It's about understanding how all of those undocumented parameters work. Nearly all of them are undocumented, and just knowing they exist isn't helpful without examples of what they're supposed to do.
That being said, it's hard for me to have strong feelings on this. The fact that there are so many options and combinations has always made STRM files not practical for the average user. Maybe this is still useful for people who make add-ons, but even then I feel like it would be better to have a better system in place.

Honestly, I could see it go either way. I see Lunatixz point, and it seems very valid, but at the same time it's not something that bothers me.
This is just so dumb, I don't want to comment (I have foot in mouth syndrome)... The thread has useful information and has been up for YEARS... it recently got a pretty well known Kodi developer out of a jam when creating the official plugin for HDhomerun...

Is the Kodi forum in the habit of binning threads because some users start posting illegal links? wouldn't' it have made more sense to split the offending posts then closing the thread?
(2015-12-13, 01:27)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Even the older non functional links to CSPAN have nice examples of when things didn't work and needed a parameter adjusted (just one example). It's the kind of information that could be turned into a generic guide without having to play the specific links. It's about understanding how all of those undocumented parameters work. Nearly all of them are undocumented, and just knowing they exist isn't helpful without examples of what they're supposed to do.

Ok, I agree the non-functioning CSPAN links are in first 4 posts. Anyone want to retain anything beyond that?
@Lunatixz let me know anything else of value that should be retained. I've tried the first 10 or so pages of links and virtually none work. The 2015 posts are virtually all illegal or going on about Operation Robobcop.
Ok, it only took 26 splits and the removal of 83 posts to clear out the references to illegal streams or inappropriate posts - at least the ones I'm aware of. I gave several more the benefit of doubt.
It was much easier to bin the thread.
For those interested it's at: 93280 (thread)
I still cannot see much value beyond the first 3-4 posts, but what do I know?
much appreciated, thank you
Thanks, really appreciate it.