Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 16 on Amazon Fire 7 Tablet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

During Black Friday sales, I picked up an Amazon Fire 7" tablet and a 32GB mSD card. Loading KODI on the tablet was no problem at all, however I do have a few questions...

As I use MySQL and Profiles, I need to know where KODI is stored on a Fire Tablet so I can load my advancedsettings.xml file

I have already checked my mSD and while there is an Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files and an Android/obb/org.xbmc.kodi subdirectory created, there is no info within those two subdirectories.

So:

1) What app can I load that will give me better file access in the Fire Tablet, and

2) Where would I need to load advancedsettings.xml ?

Thanks!
Addons and userdata will (I think) be in Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files on your internal sd card / internal storage. So that's where advancedsettings.xml would need to go (in userdata).
Having said that you could (I would) move all that to the same place on your mSD card (ie where you were looking).
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change%20da...%20Android

I generally use es file explorer in android - it will do anything you need to set up kodi (in terms of shifting files around). I guess that works in Amazon's os too...?

Incidentally - how does kodi run on the Fire 7?
Troggy -

It looks as if KODI works well on the Fire 7 as an application. I have yet to play a video. (I'll update once I do)

Kodi / Settings / Systems says that the Fire 7 has [email protected] screen resolution and by default audio shows 2.0

Fire 7 connects Wireless (b/g/n) as well as Bluetooth. It is a Quad-core ARM Cortex A7, 1.3 GHz and it has 1024 MB RAM.

More specs at https://developer.amazon.com/appsandserv...ifications

Overall, for both the tablet and mSD I paid about US$ 45, so I think that this is a great fit for an inexpensive handheld KODI platform.

I have not rooted the device, as KODI was able to be loaded directly from http://kodi.tv/download/

Amazon has created the tablet for users to access Amazon info (Fire OS 4—based on Android 4.4.2, API level 19), so I do not have "File Explorer" installed by default. There is a "Docs" app, however, it limits the accessible directories (no root access).

I just downloaded "File Manager" from the Amazon App Store for free, and it seems to give me a view of all folders... I'll let you know if it allows me to move / change files.

I will first see if I can move the application. and put advancedsettings.xml and profiles on the mSD. I will provide an update (likely) later today.
Good luck.
I bought one of these from amazon - £35, so a bit more here in yurop... as usual. I'll probably root and use android (just 'cos you can) but it would be interesting to know how it performs - mine's sat in a box in the uk at the moment.
Hmmm....

Copy paste is not happening, so there is either restrictions in the tablet or in the Fil;e Manager ap.

I'll have to come back to this at a later date.
Try via pc and usb?
Had a few other things to do in life, but now I had some time... so back to playing with FIRE. Big Grin

Had some semi-positive results, but generally not yet where I want to be. Confused

For the record, this is the Amazon Fire 7" tablet with Fire OS 5.1.2. I have also loaded the Android APK version of KODI 16

I appreciate the tips on ES File Explorer and shifting the data to the mSD, as my library data (artwork & .nfo's) would easily overwhelm the remaining available memory in the tablet. ES File Explorer gave me better access to the directory structure once I changed its settings to show hidden files.

I believe that the original path to KODI on the FIRE 7" tablet Internal Storage is:

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

Using the link that was provided as a guide to change the location of the userdata subdirectory, I created a plain text file on my laptop called xbmc_env.properties.txt, with the contents being:

xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files

And using the PC and USB cable, I copied that text file to This PC/Fire/Internal Storage (... which is the same as /mnt/sdcard ).

Now here is where I begin to run into a challenge...

First, moving .kodi using PC and cable won't work. (Insufficient permissions to write to the mSD card?)

However... ES File Explorer can associate itself with the mSD and allow it to write... and after messing around with it for a while, I was finally able to get it to request permissions to write. and it did.

After copying the .kodi subdirectory to the mSD, I deleted the original .kodi subdirectory and restarted KODI. It worked...

BUT !

What happened is that KODI recreated the .kodi subdirectory on the main storage... and it did not use the mSD located information. (I tried a few times to delete and restart, and found that .kodi would be recreated each time.)

SO:

Did I redirect incorrectly, or is KODI unable to address the mSD on the Fire Tablet?

The log seems to go to: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log , so that's definitely not being written to the mSD.

When I look at the output of the log at: http://xbmclogs.com/pcfpj9duo it does not appear to see (or act on) the xbmc_env.properties.txt file.

Ideas?

Thanks.

(Quick footnote: if I just put my advancedsettings.xml into userdata, and tweak the usual settings to allow KODI to recognize my MySQL implementation... the Fire Tablet plays great. Great resolution and sound for such a small device. I'm sure that it could replace my Gen1 iPad. However, in the long run, to use my profiles and start using the full library... I really need to move userdata to the mSD card)
Has there been any update on getting Fire 7 to work with Kodi?