Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Launcher not working on Nvidia Shield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I recently got a Nvidia Shield which I installed Kodi on and streams from my NAS.

I started out with installing XBMC Launcher and set it as default. But I was unhappy with the result, as it was impossible to go back to the Android TV boot screen. Now however I wanted to try again, but when I install it, it installs fine and shows up under Settings -> Apps. But it does not show up to ask for which launcher I want when pressing the Home button on either remote.

Has anyone tried this, or can you tell me where to configure it in Android TV?

Note: I recently updated the stock launcher, so I hope this doesn't interfer with this. But I cannot find anyone else with the same problem.

prob have to clear the defaults on under the stock launcher. I know how on a phone, but not at my Shield to give you the exact steps

Cheers!
(2015-12-14, 21:52)wyild1 Wrote: [ -> ]prob have to clear the defaults on under the stock launcher. I know how on a phone, but not at my Shield to give you the exact steps

Cheers!

I could not find the settings anywhere, but I finally managed to find the Android TV Launcher app in Google Play and uninstalled the update, this fixed the issue.

Then I tried updating it after I sat XBMC Launcher as default, and sure enough it disabled the ability to use XBMC Launcher as default Launcher. I have disabled auto update so far, so I can keep XBMC Launcher as default. And I will keep an eye out for news on this matter. :-)
(2015-12-14, 22:03)Juhler Wrote: [ -> ]I could not find the settings anywhere, but I finally managed to find the Android TV Launcher app in Google Play and uninstalled the update, this fixed the issue.

Then I tried updating it after I sat XBMC Launcher as default, and sure enough it disabled the ability to use XBMC Launcher as default Launcher. I have disabled auto update so far, so I can keep XBMC Launcher as default. And I will keep an eye out for news on this matter. :-)

yeah, I had to do the same thing for some reason. Is there some way to override the home / launcher manually by editing a file if you're rooted?
After updating to the 3.0 firmware, I'm unable to get XBMC launcher to work using any of the steps provided in this thread.

Anyone else seeing the same issues?

Here's what I've tried:

1. Update Android TV Launcher, then uninstall updates (just to make sure)
2. Uninstall XBMC Launcher, then reinstall
3. Clear data and cache for "Leanback Launcher" (I assume that's the same as Android TV Launcher, when looking under "Apps" in the settings)

As I said, none of the above allows me to re-select XBMC Launcher as default launcher.

Any help is appreciated!
Use ADB/Terminal to disable the leanback launcher, after you have installed XBMC launcher.
adb shell pm hide com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

You will not be able to access the stock launcher without unhiding it. You could install yet another launcher like Hal Launcher as your fallback
Thanks a bunch! Smile