Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I create an EDL file?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says I want to create an EDL file for a group of videos. My issue is that MCEBuddy was cutting out too much of a group of videos. One video had two minutes of the beginning completely cut out, the next video was missing a few seconds. On another group of videos it worked fine but the audio was horrible. It ended up sounding like I was listening to it underwater through a soup can. All I need to do is remove a specific amount from the beginning of each recording and somebody on the MCEBuddy forum said try an EDL. They linked to the wiki but I must be missing something because it didn't explain how to make one only what it does. Can anybody help explain to me what I need to do to make one so I can cut out a specific amount for the videos?
Start here: Edit decision list (wiki)

I had also started writing an add-on to manually create EDL files (see this post) but it's taken a back-burner for the moment as I'm busy on work/other projects.
They're normally plain text files. You write out the time codes just like the example show, and then save them as the same file name but ending in .edl (if using the mplayer edl format)
Thanks Ned I'm extremely new at doing things like editing videos so I didn't know that when saving all I had to do was name it showname.edl I thought I needed a special program to write it. This will make things a million times easier for me when I have a show that MCEBuddy doesn't work right with.

I forgot if I want it to cut right from the beginning would I right it as 0 10 0 or should I start at the first second like 1 10 0?
0 10 0 should work
Sweet
If you're using MCEBuddy then you can use the Custom Cuts tool included to manually mark the cuts and create an EDL file.
I'll keep that in mind. My biggest problem was the random cuts it was doing when all I needed was a few seconds in the beginning cut. Then when it ran it through handbrake to make the file smaller the audio was crap. So creating my own file for this was easier.
I have another EDL question. Is it possible to make one for a folder that holds a whole season instead of per episode? I recorded some shows from Netflix that were being removed and I hate the stupid Netflix loading screen and want it cut out of all episodes. If I can do it per season instead of per episode that would be great and save a lot of time.
Thread moved to OS independent section