Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking through this forum and saw a post about avoiding boxes from China. The TV box I have now is outdated has a 4.4 opperating system. That as I'm sure you know no longer works.I have an MXQ android TV box and as I found out today is from China. Which bummed me out after seeing that I should avoid boxes from China. The main reason it bummed me out is a bunch of my friend all have different boxes or sticks. Everyone of them and I like the box I have better then theirs. The main reason for this is the remotes that come with it. I have taken a little time today to looked around at different boxes and sticks today. But can't find any other then MXQ that come with this remote or even a similar remote. Q1 Do you know of any boxes/sticks that come with this remote or something very similar to it that is not from China(or that or that I don't need to avoid)? Also I am not very good with all the tech stuff I mean I was clueless about how to find out what opperating system my box ran on without help from Kodi on twitter. Q2 Would it be in my best interest to get a box/stick with the highest operating system available? Q3 Is there a couple of boxes/sticks that you would recomend?
If that MXQ Box has a AMLogic S805 in it you may be able to get LibreELEC Kodi Krypton running off a microSDHC card with it.
See this link:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-5274.html

Otherwise the easiest Wireless Voice Remote on the Market to use, comes packaged with the Xiaomi Mi Box that runs the very easy to use Android TV. The Mi Box will also get far better Firmware support than all of those cheap Chinese Android boxes.

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Mi Box places to purchase:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083

Be aware Android TV is different to the regular Android OS which actually needs an Air Mouse to use touchscreen Android Apps. Kodi does not need an Air Mouse.
Android TV is much simpler, but with a more limited Android Apps store.
(2017-04-10, 03:08)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If that MXQ Box has a AMLogic S805 in it you may be able to get LibreELEC Kodi Krypton running off a microSDHC card with it.
See this link:

Otherwise the easiest Wireless Voice Remote on the Market to use, comes packaged with the Xiaomi Mi Box that runs the very easy to use Android TV. The Mi Box will also get far better Firmware support than all of those cheap Chinese Android boxes.

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Mi Box places to purchase:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083

Be aware Android TV is different to the regular Android OS which actually needs an Air Mouse to use touchscreen Android Apps. Kodi does not need an Air Mouse.
Android TV is much simpler, but with a more limited Android Apps store.

Would it be possible to install the standard Google Play Store app on a box that has Android TV?
No.

Some Google Playstore touchscreen Apps can be installed via a Web Browser from a PC / Mac / Tablet for the Mi Box.
However some of these do not work properly on Android TV at all due to various issues. Its a gamble what will work

Then you have touchscreen Android devices where you can sideload certain easy to use Android TV specific Apps, like YouTube that will work straight away. However others Android TV Apps like Netflix and any of the copy protected streaming Apps will not work properly or at all.

The Third option are WeTek S905 devices that are a bit of a Hybrid as they come with proper Netflix approval and DRM certificates so you can use those paid for streaming Apps. You also get better Android TV Apps compatibility due to WeTek having HDCP 2.2 packaged in as well compared to cheap Chinese Android touchscreen boxes. Easy dual booting to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton make these WeTek's very flexible.

More info on WeTek and Sideloading Android TV Apps HERE

Confused yet ?
Blame Google !
(2017-04-10, 09:28)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]No.

Some Google Playstore touchscreen Apps can be installed via a Web Browser from a PC / Mac / Tablet for Android TV devices.
However some of these do not work properly on Android TV at all due to various issues. Its a gamble what will work

Then you have touchscreen Android devices where you can sideload certain easy to use Android TV specific Apps, like YouTube that will out of the box. However others Android TV Apps like Netflix and any of the copy protected streaming Apps will not work properly or at all.

The Third option are WeTek S905 devices that are a bit of a Hybrid as they come with proper Netflix approval and DRM certificates so you can use those paid for streaming Apps. You also get better Android TV Apps compatibility due to WeTek having HDCP 2.2 packaged in as well compared to cheap Chinese Android touchscreen boxes.

More info on WeTek and Sideloading Android TV Apps HERE

Confused yet ?
Blame Google !

Annoyed that in the UK I have a box with Android TV and the installed play store won't let me install the ITVHub catchup app, which I can download from the standard Play Store!!!! Forcing me to use workarounds :-)
Goo bangdoo "abox" any good lads? Smile
Put down whatever your Smokin' and walk outside and get some fresh air ! Wink
Hi. I'm not a total noob to Android and I can write my own Kodi xml, but I find the whole selection process for new boxes daunting and confusing and reviews online are often sponsor-based.

I currently have a maxed out MXQ - which does not use any Google Play stuff - almost all Google stuff is uninstalled, just use Kodi and SiriusXM, but want to get something with more power/cpu/ram that will last a few years into the future. I have narrowed my pre-selection to 3 units. I would love to hear some comments as to which one to select or if there is something I'm missing. The Nvidia sounds great, but out of my price range.

I only run Kodi, SiriusXM and I haven't used Netflix on Android because I found it too difficult to use (I have a Roku that I use for Netflix, but I am open to suggestions.

Here are my 3 choices:

1. Vero 4K - I'm unsure and unfamiliar with OSMC
2. WeTek Play 2 - I like the off-air PVR function
3. Mi Box - I am curious about Google's Android TV operating system, but will this last into the future

I also use a harmony remote that easily controls the MXQ currently and the Mi Box is in the database, the WeTek can only be turned on and off and I'm unsure about the Vero.

Any ideas?

Thanks... Dan
Did you read the first post?
dansavoie,
I just tried to install:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...com.sirius

WeTek Play2 will shortly get an update to Android Marshmallow Firmware same as the WeTek Hub, so with that in mind...

1. Vero4K - does not run Android - OSMC is a Linux OS, designed to run Kodi
2. WeTek Hub - tried the inbuilt Playstore - the SiriusXM App installs. Mouse needed.
3. Mi Box - the SiriusXM App is marked as incompatible. Would possible work if USB Sideloaded. Mouse would be needed.

Netflix on the Mi Box and WeTek Play2 / Hub can use the very remote control friendly Android TV version of Netflix. I agree the regular touchscreen Netflix is a PITA to use.

WeTek Play2 and Harmony
(2017-04-11, 22:25)dansavoie Wrote: [ -> ]I only run Kodi, SiriusXM and I haven't used Netflix on Android because I found it too difficult to use (I have a Roku that I use for Netflix, but I am open to suggestions.

We made the mistake of thinking a Wetek Play 2 would allow us to stop using our Roku, after months of frustration we hooked the Roku back up. The Wetek Play 2 is OK running LibreElec. However, for us, the WeOS is nothing but frustration. Our day to day "go to" player is still an old Chromebox running LibreElec. It is a reliable and as easy to use as our Roku and is far better for local content. I am sure there are others that enjoy working on their players every day but we prefer having something that works all the time. Much like the Roku or Tivo , a good LibreElec box is nice and easy to use. Whatever you decide to buy, I suggest you hold on to your Roku, you may still need it.
Thanks for the reply and discussion guys,

Looking forward to getting out of the old Android 4.4 MXQ and moving on. Not sure which one I'll choose.

HeresJohnny - I did read the first post, that's how I came up with 3 choices - I was just asking for additional input

wrxtasy - thanks for the thorough explanation and checking into the SiriusXM install

Pajoe - that Roku has stuck by us through thick and thin (and even a fire). I should try installing LibreElec on the old MXQ if I can.

Cheers
(2017-04-12, 16:11)dansavoie Wrote: [ -> ]I should try installing LibreElec on the old MXQ if I can.

You can!

(2017-04-10, 03:08)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If that MXQ Box has a AMLogic S805 in it you may be able to get LibreELEC Kodi Krypton running off a microSDHC card with it.
See this link:
Feel free to bypass this but I do want to make better box decisions (hence coming here to read) and I have read the front half and a few back half pages of this thread and some others that I was pointed too by the moderator. My past boxes have been CS918, M8S, GT1 and I haven't noticed any performance issues from any regular vanilla Kodi I run including Krypton. I just use a regular wireless key/mouse and only use the box for Kodi video media 1080 or 720p with normal 2.0 sound thru my older home receiver to 5.1 I've been happy.

I'd like to find something on Amazon that's better then the crappy review of my GT1 I read. I do like the under 80-100 USD budget but when I search Android s905x on Amazon, simply way too many hits to decide. Thanks to the moderator for enlighten me on this thread. I was looking at some T95 boxes with s912 octa cores but I guess they aren't that good from what I've read.
(2017-04-13, 09:07)GrampaBob Wrote: [ -> ]Feel free to bypass this but I do want to make better box decisions (hence coming here to read) and I have read the front half and a few back half pages of this thread and some others that I was pointed too by the moderator. My past boxes have been CS918, M8S, GT1 and I haven't noticed any performance issues from any regular vanilla Kodi I run including Krypton. I just use a regular wireless key/mouse and only use the box for Kodi video media 1080 or 720p with normal 2.0 sound thru my older home receiver to 5.1 I've been happy.

I'd like to find something on Amazon that's better then the crappy review of my GT1 I read. I do like the under 80-100 USD budget but when I search Android s905x on Amazon, simply way too many hits to decide. Thanks to the moderator for enlighten me on this thread. I was looking at some T95 boxes with s912 octa cores but I guess they aren't that good from what I've read.

If the GT1 meets your requirements why bother about the contents of a review? Keep it :-)