Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just sent back my cheap Chinese T95Z Android Tv box (912 chipset) ... really disappointed in the amount of resets I had to do on it ...

Gone for the Vero 4K+ box .....

Fingers crossed it performs better... as I’m sure it will...
(2018-10-26, 01:40)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]I have several different flavors of Android boxes running both LibreELEC AND CoreELEC, and have NEVER had an issue with any of them.  I am going to guess that you are using a microSD card for your OS, if so, try a different microSD card.  Your box should work without any issues at all.
Thanks, it was the mSD card. Bought this one, and it's working well w/@wrxtasy's LE build:

Don't use these (I have 3 of them from Amazon & newegg); they don't work well for LE (not for me anyway).
(2018-10-29, 03:29)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-10-26, 01:40)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]I have several different flavors of Android boxes running both LibreELEC AND CoreELEC, and have NEVER had an issue with any of them.  I am going to guess that you are using a microSD card for your OS, if so, try a different microSD card.  Your box should work without any issues at all.
Thanks, it was the mSD card. Bought this one, and it's working well w/@wrxtasy's LE build:

Don't use these (I have 3 of them from Amazon & newegg); they don't work well for LE (not for me anyway).

That is one of the better micro SD cards you can purchase.
(2018-10-29, 04:48)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-10-29, 03:29)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]

That is one of the better micro SD cards you can purchase. 

Are you talking about the Samsung card that @hdmkv is happy with, or the Sandisk that was linked to that @hdmkv wasn't happy with (I think some people will have assumed the Samsung card was being flagged as one to avoid, rather than the opposite)

I use Samsung EVO+ uSD Cards as my first choice in Raspberry Pis etc.
Samsung one above = good. Sandisk one I linked to = bad Smile, at least for LE on cheap Android boxes.
Sorry, the Samsung is the good card.  However, it is noted on the web, that you can get countefit cards even from know good sellers like Newegg AND Amazon.

One of many sources of explanations of counterfeit cards.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Beware-o...al_id77769
Hello

I've read all of the first posts, and most of the latest weeks ones... but I've still doubts on what box to buy.
My needs are:
  • LibreElec with Leia + Retroplayer support -> Need some above average graphics/cpu power
  • Full CEC support
  • 4k Youtube / 4k Netflix (HDR is a plus)
  • Possibily around the $100 mark or below

If I did my homework correctly, this leaves out Intel, as there's no CEC support without Pulse8 usb adapters and high cost
(I already own a RPi3 btw, and think CEC is too good to pass)
If I understand correctly, I should also not consider boxes without Gigabit Ethernet for high bitrate stuff.

This leaves me with very few options if I understand correctly:
  • Used Nvidia Shield TV (Can be found for ~$100 on ebay)
  • Amlogic 905/912 boxes (any one is better than the others? Reccomended chinese brands?)
  • ..other? I'm making some misconsiderations in the above reasonings? Please help me 

Many thanks for the support guys!
Your preferred option would be a NVIDIA Shield, simply due to its powerful 256 core GPU which works very well for Retro gaming.
Plus it's the only one that will do 4K Netflix and have a GigaE port.

CEC may or may not work, Android Kodi does not have packaged into it, the CEC libraries like you get with LibreELEC Kodi, but relies on the device's Firmware for CEC support. It will not be as flexible vs the RPi for CEC control.

The lessor option would be a MECOOL M8S Pro L, but that does not have 4K Netflix (1080p only) and has no GigaE port.
See Page #185 of this thread for details.

The Shield would be easier to use for Retro gaming due to its already included gaming controller.
Stick with the RPi for LibreELEC use and use the Shield for everything else.
Thanks @wrxtasy !
The used shield was my first option , but as I have just one hdmi port using two devices is not an option.
RPi3 works fine for all 1080p/h264 stuff, but it is too underpowered for everything else alas (even tho i've read 1080p h265 is fine for someone, using heavy overclocking and active cooling, that's not what I have in mind)
What I do need for CEC is the bare minimum to use kodi menus (up,down,left,right,ok,back).
AFAYK, it that level of CEC supported in shield's firmware?
And, can Nvidia's software be wiped out to avoid spyware (ie: install just LibreELEC)
And lastly.. Netflix 4k is the only thing then that Amlogic 9xx boxes are laking then? (apart from some graphics power of course)
EC works fine? (the first page of this thread details things very well, but I find hard to find infos about CEC)
Again, many many thanks!
(2018-11-01, 09:29)ilgrank Wrote: [ -> ]What I do need for CEC is the bare minimum to use kodi menus (up,down,left,right,ok,back).
AFAYK, it that level of CEC supported in shield's firmware?

The Shield should be fine for those basics of CEC control, like most modern media players these days (not Intel)

Quote:And, can Nvidia's software be wiped out to avoid spyware (ie: install just LibreELEC)
The Shield cannot run LibreELEC and never will. Avoid the ES File Explorer App these days would be a very good general Android recommendation.

Quote:And lastly.. Netflix 4k is the only thing then that Amlogic 9xx boxes are lacking then?
The only dual boot AMLogic S912 - DIY - LibreELEC / CoreELEC / Android TV OS - 1080p Netflix only / Youtube 4K device that works these days, and is pretty snappy is the MECOOL M8S Pro L. If you need Gigabit Ethernet on that device - people buy a USB3 > Gigabit adapter like the Ugreen ones.

Quote:CEC works fine? (the first page of this thread details things very well, but I find hard to find infos about CEC)
Again, many many thanks!
Yes CEC has been missing simply because it's not that well supported of a standard, only the basics for control you listed above usually work reliably.
Anything else like CEC - OFF / ON is a lottery.

4K Netflix capable devices that do auto Frame Rate Matching and run Kodi or forks of Kodi (eg. MrMC):

- Amazon Fire TV 4K Gen 3. pendant (no idea how well it does this)
- Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick (under user testing currently)
- NVIDIA Shield
- Apple TV 4K

The Apple TV 4K also does Frame Rate Matching when using Netflix, it is the only platform that does:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208288

None of them can run LibreELEC / CoreELEC Kodi.
Quote:The Shield should be fine for those basics of CEC control, like most modern media players these days (not Intel)
I've read newer Gemini Lake now support basic CEC... (here ) but people won't go as far as to tell what "basic means" besides ON/OFF.
Quote:The Shield cannot run LibreELEC and never will
Pardon my ignorance.. but why? I've seen some people at least attempted to run regular linux on the shield ( here is an example ) even tho I do recognize no widespread distro runs natively on it without some serious hacking)
So currently the only way is to have the shield run Kodi is is using it's native Android OS and install the Kodi APK on it?
Quote:Avoid the ES File Explorer App these days would be a very good general Android recommendation.
You mean because of this or there's something even more scary I had missed? NVidia is also famous for it's "Telemetry" on PCs, so one of my concerns is it does the same on the Shield..
Quote:The only dual boot AMLogic S912 - DIY - LibreELEC / CoreELEC / Android TV OS - 1080p Netflix only / Youtube 4K device that works these days, and is pretty snappy is the MECOOL M8S Pro L

And do GigE is needed just because of >55mbit video streams then, right?

Reading your previous posts.. apart from price (even tho used ATV4k cost around the same as an used ShieldTV, around $130),and inhability to run LibreELEC what is AppleTV lacking in this regard? I've seen 4k can easily be jailbroken and then Kodi installed.
(2018-11-01, 11:34)ilgrank Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The Shield cannot run LibreELEC and never will
Pardon my ignorance.. but why? I've seen some people at least attempted to run regular linux on the shield ( here is an example ) even tho I do recognize no widespread distro runs natively on it without some serious hacking)
So currently the only way is to have the shield run Kodi is is using it's native Android OS and install the Kodi APK on it? 
The issue with the Shield TV is the lack of Linux Tegra X1 video decode support AIUI. Last time I checked there were no nVidia Linux drivers for their X1 that supported hardware video decode in a manner that would work with Kodi.  Without those, you have no hope of a Linux Kodi solution that approaches that of the Android quality on the X1.
(2018-11-01, 11:34)ilgrank Wrote: [ -> ]Reading your previous posts.. apart from price (even tho used ATV4k cost around the same as an used ShieldTV, around $130),and inability to run LibreELEC what is AppleTV lacking in this regard? I've seen 4k can easily be jailbroken and then Kodi installed.

Do NOT rely on hacking or jailbreaking of the ATV 4K to do anything. Those days pretty much are gone.
Do NOT read Webpages with dodgy developer certificates being sold and believe everything that is advertised. Apple have successfully put significant roadblocks in place.
Such methods can be unreliable and expensive and even then Kodi will not have the same near bug free polish and proper ATV 4K touchpad remote control-ability vs the well supported (by the respective devs. and users) - - MrMC or Infuse Apps.

Please read the 2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review (click)
Thanks @wrxtasy 
May I ask you about the ES File explorer question?
..and, about the Vero 4k+.. you say here that it is meant to stay on 24H.. why?
I usually use an USB controlled outlet to power everything down when I do power off my tv.. what kind of issues could arise?
Also, given the october update , isn't the Vero 4k+ a more viable choice?
The Vero 4K + has a suspend mode which will let you put it to sleep / wake it from a remote.
If you want to power it off at the mains, you should select 'Shut Down' first so that the device is turned off safely.