Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-10-24, 20:31)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-23, 23:23)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-23, 20:11)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]Do You mean there is a dual boot on ONDROID N2?    

No, there is triple boot on Odroid N2. You can have Android (Pie 64bit, or TV 32bit) on eMMC, Ubuntu on uSD card and CoreElec on USB stick at the same time. With SPI-Petitboot you can choose which OS to boot.
You can even extend that with 2 operating systems om a single eMMC, so many OS combinations are available.  
Thx for tips!
How can i choose booting OS? There is a list on bootscreen? Can i set default OS?

I think may be its time to move from Wetek Core. I hope USB audio on ON2 is working flawless. On Wetek Core there are some clarckilng via USB. So if i can drop optical to USB i would be satisfied.
So i can have Android for HBO GO and CoreElec for audio playing.
Even i could try Daphile. 

On Odroid N2 there is a front-side small switch with two positions. On right position N2 will boot OS first from uSD card, and if it is not inserted then it will boot OS from  eMMC. When switch is in left position N2 will boot to internal flash Petitboot bootloader. This is a small program with a textual interface in which you can choose which media is used for booting your OS, USB, uSD or eMMC.

Why would you use USB audio, when N2 have excellent audio performance and there is an optional optical out connector that connects to N2 GPIO pins ? You can find details for that on CoreElec Forum

Btw, CoreElec - Kodi has a very good HBO-Go addon. I use HBO-Go EU version all the time because that way I can choose all subtitle options that Kodi player offers. I prefer it to my official app on my LG TV, or the one in Android, so when you can give it a try...
(2019-10-24, 21:27)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-24, 20:31)Juno Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-23, 23:23)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]No, there is triple boot on Odroid N2. You can have Android (Pie 64bit, or TV 32bit) on eMMC, Ubuntu on uSD card and CoreElec on USB stick at the same time. With SPI-Petitboot you can choose which OS to boot.
You can even extend that with 2 operating systems om a single eMMC, so many OS combinations are available. 
Thx for tips!
How can i choose booting OS? There is a list on bootscreen? Can i set default OS?

I think may be its time to move from Wetek Core. I hope USB audio on ON2 is working flawless. On Wetek Core there are some clarckilng via USB. So if i can drop optical to USB i would be satisfied.
So i can have Android for HBO GO and CoreElec for audio playing.
Even i could try Daphile. 

No there is no DRM, which is required for HD copy protected video streaming like HBO Go, when using Android on the N2. 

But then, on CE/Kodi HBO-Go (Eu) works perfect with 1080p hardware decoding. It uses inputstream.adaptive and latest widevine decryption module (libwidevine.so)
(2019-10-24, 19:47)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The N2 has enough CPU grunt under the hood to CPU software decode everything 1080p - inc h264 10bit Anime.
Can it be the answer for my question also @wrxtasy  ? my all movie library UHD 4k 10bit HVEC, hope N2 decode them also without any issue, right ?
(2019-10-24, 19:47)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If you need reliable WiFi, the Dual Band 2.4 / 5.0 GHz Realtek chipset ones are compatible:
https://www.pollin.de/p/wlan-usb-stick-e...utc-712638

This will be even faster due to dual antennas (mimo)
https://www.pollin.de/p/wlan-usb-stick-e...imo-740590
I really have no idea if I need wifi or not, but eventually N2 need an internet connection, right ? if available options ethernet port or wifi (and if wifi connection does not have any performance or usage disadvantage) ofcourse I would choose wifi, its better than long cable mess.

@wrxtasy I know you already show understanding and patience for many newbie questions and help request but I dont want to order them before your confirmation because they will come from another country and I really dont want to order wrong or useless items, could you check my last post's links, do you think Im ready to go on and order them ? That minix neo a2 lite will come with dongle or I need to buy it seperately ?

Thank you for your help and time!
(2019-10-24, 21:46)lovnblack Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-24, 19:47)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The N2 has enough CPU grunt under the hood to CPU software decode everything 1080p - inc h264 10bit Anime.
Can it be the answer for my question also @wrxtasy  ? my all movie library UHD 4k 10bit HVEC, hope N2 decode them also without any issue, right ?

Don’t worry N2 will hardware decode virtually everything. Non standard stuff like Anime gets CPU software decoded.
Quote:I really have no idea if I need wifi or not, but eventually N2 need an internet connection, right ? if available options ethernet port or wifi (and if wifi connection does not have any performance or usage disadvantage) ofcourse I would choose wifi, its better than long cable mess.

High bitrate 4K HDR needs Gigabit Ethernet for video streaming reliability. WiFi is too unreliable and slow for 4K Rips.

MINIX A2 lite remote comes with its own USB radio receiver dongle. It’s Plug n Play.
All that is needed is 2GB N2 - CoreELEC Edition + 16GB eMMC module if you want faster CE Kodi.

Your previous Pollin.de links are correct.
(2019-10-24, 22:35)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]All that is needed is 2GB N2 - CoreELEC Edition + 16GB eMMC module if you want faster CE Kodi. 

As i'd like to have Android and CE and faster CE Kodi should i have additional 16 GM eMMC for Android?? Can i use them both plugged in?
Yes via Petitboot. Research the HardKernel forums about that and the HardKernel WiKi.

You can select either SD card or eMMC Android with the A2 remote to boot to either OS.
(2019-10-24, 22:35)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]High bitrate 4K HDR needs Gigabit Ethernet for video streaming reliability. WiFi is too unreliable and slow for 4K Rips.

Thank you! Ok then I will order them tomorrow. I have no idea about "gigabit ethernet" if I have it or its something else, I need different hardware or not ? I just have 80Mbit fiber optic internet connection in here and I will use cat5 ethernet cable connection between my router and N2.
@lovnblack Good luck and have fun with your N2! 👍🏻
@lovnblack Gigabit means you can have up to 1000 Mbit/s (translated to 125 MB/s as a transfer speed). It needs a Gigabit router and also other Gigabit capable devices (laptop, desktop). If you do not have a Gigabit network, N2 will work just as well with your current setup.
(2019-10-25, 00:30)Sjors125 Wrote: [ -> ]@lovnblack Good luck and have fun with your N2! 👍🏻

Thanx for all support!
(2019-10-25, 09:53)tmihai20 Wrote: [ -> ]@lovnblack Gigabit means you can have up to 1000 Mbit/s (translated to 125 MB/s as a transfer speed). It needs a Gigabit router and also other Gigabit capable devices (laptop, desktop). If you do not have a Gigabit network, N2 will work just as well with your current setup.

Thank you for reply, yesterday I just check my current desktop network adapter it says gigabit ethernet, I just didn't that term, honestly never checked that since yesterday Smile
I've just came across a statement that I've read on another Forum, but I must ask here regarding, because it rather sounds unbelievable:

Is it true, that the Fire TV 4K Stick can play DolbyVision and HDR10+ LOCAL videos properly through Emby? I mean real DV and HDR10+ of course, not just those singe layer demo ones.
Not so much familiar with Emby and such playback solutions and not sure how it would work in practice, so a little more explanation also would be handy. But I have a feeling, that something here is a bit tricky regarding...
You would be better off asking that same question in the actual Fire TV Stick 4K https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336151 - especially for HDR10+

Real, meaning Bluray Rips - DolbyVision is dual layer, (base HDR layer + DV enhanced laye/file) and there is No App or Software I know of on any eternally connected Apps media player that can direct playback that type of content.
You have to use hacked Oppo Firmware on a their 4K Bluray player or Oppo cloned hardware.

DV capable - LG OLED TV's with their inbuilt WebOS media player App also have such DV support. 2019 Panasonic OLED's might also as well.

Unless Emby have reverse engineered Dolby DV muxing code, but I doubt it.
They might just be direct playing/streaming content specifically to DV capable - LG OLED TV's same as Plex does.
@lovnblack 

As You run Petitboot, please, share Your experience and tell how You run it.

Thx in advance. Smile
Shield TV and Shield TV Pro (Have mercy - apple pro? nvidia pro?... 0 to innovation Smile ) announced... 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/