Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In simple terms Ugreen Gigabit (1000M) LAN adapter will give you what you want with the Mi Box or simply go the ODROID N2 and MINIX A2 lite remote combo.

All of them are Plug n Play. Smile
(2020-02-13, 04:41)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]In simple terms Ugreen Gigabit (1000M) LAN adapter will give you what you want with the Mi Box or simply go the ODROID N2 and MINIX A2 lite remote combo.

All of them are Plug n Play. Smile

Thanks!
Hi
Got the cube x2 have to say seems very decent especially for the price and i got the minix a2 lite remote

Anyways having a problem in coreelec where the usb ports aren't working but works fine in android cube x2
it works after updating the cube x2 firmware temporary but then stops shortly afterwards

I read something about adding some lines to autostart.sh but i dont know how to
just wondering if you do?

thanks
(2020-02-15, 19:20)Cfgraven Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
Got the cube x2 have to say seems very decent especially for the price and i got the minix a2 lite remote

Anyways having a problem in coreelec where the usb ports aren't working but works fine in android cube x2
it works after updating the cube x2 firmware temporary but then stops shortly afterwards

I read something about adding some lines to autostart.sh but i dont know how to
just wondering if you do?

thanks

All CoreELEC support belongs over on the CoreELEC forums (click)
I've been running Kodi on my old Mac for a long time, but am about to get a TV for the first time in ages. I'm wondering what to get. The brand names here are different from the well-known ones, especially at the the more frugal end of the price range.

It seems that the easiest thing to do, assuming I don't find an appropriate Android-based TV (those that I've seen that identify the OS level are running versions of 4.0, and I understand that up-to-date Kodi needs 5.0) would be:

- get an Android Fire TV 4K stick -- but I'm unclear as to whether they're available or function here

- get a Raspberry Pi -- I'm considering this "Media Center Kit Center Pi 3 B Plus" for about $100: https://piitel.co.il/shop/media-center-k...-3-b-plus/ (Much of the page is in Hebrew, but the specifications are in English). I'm comfortable with Linux, so I'm guessing that setting it up shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?
(2020-02-17, 18:33)josephzitt Wrote: [ -> ]I've been running Kodi on my old Mac for a long time, but am about to get a TV for the first time in ages. I'm wondering what to get. The brand names here are different from the well-known ones, especially at the the more frugal end of the price range.

It seems that the easiest thing to do, assuming I don't find an appropriate Android-based TV (those that I've seen that identify the OS level are running versions of 4.0, and I understand that up-to-date Kodi needs 5.0) would be:

- get an Android Fire TV 4K stick -- but I'm unclear as to whether they're available or function here

- get a Raspberry Pi -- I'm considering this "Media Center Kit Center Pi 3 B Plus" for about $100: https://piitel.co.il/shop/media-center-k...-3-b-plus/ (Much of the page is in Hebrew, but the specifications are in English). I'm comfortable with Linux, so I'm guessing that setting it up shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?

An up to date Kodi Leia that handles everything. And anything 1080p it cannot Hardware decode can be Software decoded is the....

ODROID N2 CoreELEC edition.

Damn easy to use too because it's literally Plug n Play and a whole lot more powerful vs any Raspberry Pi.

If you are in the USA or even Europe there is the $69.95 ODROID-N2 CoreELEC Edition (click) from Ameridroid.

Team it up with a Plug n Play - MINIX A2 lite, mini keyboard remote, and you are good to go. It "just works"
Hi folks!
Is the Intel NUC8i3BEH can play 4K HDR videos? MadVR or that new Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API? Thank you!
(2020-03-01, 19:04)xtend Wrote: [ -> ]Hi folks!
Is the Intel NUC8i3BEH can play 4K HDR videos? MadVR or that new Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API? Thank you!

Yes using Kodi Matrix 19.0 (Alpha) HDR - see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2908465
Hi, what about PQ on last Android box like shield Vs Intel Box ?

Is still Intel render better than Android for PQ ?

I'm thinking about the switch from Intel Box due to Prime video app (sd resolution on non Android box)
And what about the Gemini Lake HDR compatibility. I know Intel not support it but community try to make it, but what state it is? Better wait to make it and buy a cheaper J5005 with UHD 605 or its 50/50 the chance only so better to pay more and buy the NUC8i3 what is 100% supported?
(2020-03-03, 00:57)Roby77 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, what about PQ on last Android box like shield Vs Intel Box ?

If we are talking Kodi that can do auto Resolution Switching on either device to output video content at its native resolution to a 4K TV, then it somewhat depends on the quality of upscaling of all non 4K content your TV can do if you are chasing top PQ.

There are recent Premium 4K HDR TV’s that have there own forms of AI Super Resolution upscaling which will be superior to what any Intel device or comparatively cheap Android media player can do. See the following post for details:

AI Super Resolution Picture Upscaling on 4K TV's (click)

Quote:Is still Intel render better than Android for PQ ?

There are too many variables to answer that question properly.
Depends on what content you watch, modern HEVC (h.265) properly encoded video content can package a better effective bitrate and give you a higher PQ for the same file size vs using older h.264 encodings.

Depends also on what type of display you are connected too, if it supports HDR and how good it’s TV picture upscaling and picture processing is.

If you have crap upscaling on a 4K TV then the 2019 Shield’s even limited AI upscaling of non 4K content is better than nothing. It will be better than anything Software upscalers can do on Intel Hardware. (Read the “Here is the Secret Behind” link in AI Super Resolution thread)

Just be aware some users report the 2019 Shield's AI picture upscaling produces overly sharpened picture outputs. Others love it. So it's seems it's highly subjective and depends what people have to compare it to.

Quote:I'm thinking about the switch from Intel Box due to Prime video app (sd resolution on non Android box)

Be aware if you are thinking that you will get reliable AI upscaling of non 4K Prime Video content well you might run into problems:

2019 Shield AI upscaling Limitations and possible problems:

#1 2019 Shield AI upscaling is limited to video content output at 30fps/Hz or below. it will not work for Live TV or 480p content.....
#2 That means for 24p content you have to use auto Frame Rate Matching which is Beta status on the Shields and uses workarounds for Apps like Prime Video and Netflix.
3# The Amazon Prime App when using such auto Frame Rate workarounds has been reported to throw up HDCP errors - it thinking video output is being hacked and copied.

You might be better with a dirt cheap Amazon 4K Fire TV Stick if Amazon Prime App is all you want.
Really an sort of device with proper L1 DRM and HDCP 1.x/2.0 is going to give you better than SD res. Amazon Prime video output quality.

The best picture quality output of non 4K content these days is found by using Apps on Premium 4K Smart TV that do some form of AI Super Resolution upscaling and have powerful dedicated picture processors as well,
AND also feeding unprocessed non 4K video content to such TV at the content’s native resolution by using Kodi auto Resolution Switching.

^^^^ Both of those is what I now do with my 2019 GZ Panasonic OLED.

W.
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and lots of the previous messages I have to say I quite don't get yet 😁

I've been running Kodi for the past couple of years on a m8s-II, but it seems like it's using a stock android version, and I now have trouble playing some licensed content.

I mostly want a box that efficiently runs Amazon Prime and my NBA league pass, either through Kodi add-ons or the actual apps. Other than that, I almost only use Aussie catch-up tv add-ons (SBS etc...).

I'm not after top range quality and I've done some research already. I'm now hesitating between the Amazon fire stick and the Xiaomi Mi box s. None perfect. In Australia, only the old Amazon version is available (non 4k, and no Alexa voice remote), and I've read that people are having problems watching live games on their NBA pass when using the Mi box s.... Any input? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks
(2020-03-03, 12:40)Jean Claude Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not after top range quality and I've done some research already. I'm now hesitating between the Amazon fire stick and the Xiaomi Mi box s. None perfect. In Australia, only the old Amazon version is available (non 4k, and no Alexa voice remote), and I've read that people are having problems watching live games on their NBA pass when using the Mi box s.... Any input? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

Hi, Welcome.

If you have not already - head over to the Aussie Whirlpool forums for what you have to do to get a working copy protected FireTV Stick (4K) Apps working in Australia.
I believe you will also need to use a VPN or similar, even then it may not work for NBA - ask in that specific forum:

Amazon Fire TV - Whirlpool Forums (click)

Both question really have nothing at all to do with Kodi.
(2020-03-03, 12:16)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-03, 00:57)Roby77 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, what about PQ on last Android box like shield Vs Intel Box ?

If we are talking Kodi that can do auto Resolution Switching on either device to output video content at its native resolution to a 4K TV, then it somewhat depends on the quality of upscaling of all non 4K content your TV can do if you are chasing top PQ.

There are recent Premium 4K HDR TV’s that have there own forms of AI Super Resolution upscaling which will be superior to what any Intel device or comparatively cheap Android media player can do. See the following post for details:

AI Super Resolution Picture Upscaling on 4K TV's (click)
Quote:Is still Intel render better than Android for PQ ?

There are too many variables to answer that question properly.
Depends on what content you watch, modern HEVC (h.265) properly encoded video content can package a better effective bitrate and give you a higher PQ for the same file size vs using older h.264 encodings.

Depends also on what type of display you are connected too, if it supports HDR and how good it’s TV picture upscaling and picture processing is.

If you have crap upscaling on a 4K TV then the 2019 Shield’s even limited AI upscaling of non 4K content is better than nothing. It will be better than anything Software upscalers can do on Intel Hardware. (Read the “Here is the Secret Behind” link in AI Super Resolution thread)

Just be aware some users report the 2019 Shield's AI picture upscaling produces overly sharpened picture outputs. Others love it. So it's seems it's highly subjective and depends what people have to compare it to.
Quote:I'm thinking about the switch from Intel Box due to Prime video app (sd resolution on non Android box)

Be aware if you are thinking that you will get reliable AI upscaling of non 4K Prime Video content well you might run into problems:

2019 Shield AI upscaling Limitations and possible problems:

#1 2019 Shield AI upscaling is limited to video content output at 30fps/Hz or below. it will not work for Live TV or 480p content.....
#2 That means for 24p content you have to use auto Frame Rate Matching which is Beta status on the Shields and uses workarounds for Apps like Prime Video and Netflix.
3# The Amazon Prime App when using such auto Frame Rate workarounds has been reported to throw up HDCP errors - it thinking video output is being hacked and copied.

You might be better with a dirt cheap Amazon 4K Fire TV Stick if Amazon Prime App is all you want.
Really an sort of device with proper L1 DRM and HDCP 1.x/2.0 is going to give you better than SD res. Amazon Prime video output quality.

The best picture quality output of non 4K content these days is found by using Apps on Premium 4K Smart TV that do some form of AI Super Resolution upscaling and have powerful dedicated picture processors as well,
AND also feeding unprocessed non 4K video content to such TV at the content’s native resolution by using Kodi auto Resolution Switching.

^^^^ Both of those is what I now do with my 2019 GZ Panasonic OLED.

W. 

Sorry i'm not able to quote and reply (old gen man Big Grin )

thank you for you reply, i try to reply even if my english is terrible

1 and 2 )I'm not talking about upscaling or autoresolution (solved with android 8 ? ) also cause my tv is a plasma 2k (so no 4k e no hdr , until i don't change tv Big Grin  )

i'm talking about PQ thanks to render method like Vaapi and Egl > https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 VS android render method 

See here for example about Android PQ:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256143

And if i rembember correctly nvidia shield box was the only one with correct rgb space colour, it's ok for all android box (autoresolution, rgb , pulldown ? ) or if i want the best pq from android box shield box is the only choice ?

I asked about PQ cause i rembember that some years ago Intel PQ was better than Android

3) i read your post about Amazon nad shield problem and i found out that your suggestion to buy a fire stick is the best choice Big Grin

thank you
Do you know if there is soon to be have N2 core elec sale for around 75 usd it was until about 3 days ago?

I works kinda OK (only issue for me is the cec delay on input switching) so I would like to buy more N2s core elec ed. but 100usd + shipping + tax + postal tax service is kinda since the other players would not be used very often.

In my opinion it is best kodi player and emby/plex/jellyfin client there is, including apple tv 4k and nvidia shield. At least for as demanding users as I am Big Grin