Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-11-02, 22:42)iblank12 Wrote: [ -> ]Big focus is using it as a kodi player, open to using coreelec as the OS, but good with Kodi as an app as well. Also need a remote for ease of use that comes working out of the box.  i'm open to all boxes, all price ranges, thank you

Hi & welcome.

If you want Plug n Play then the Vero 4K fits that requirement. Well supported and includes a wireless remote. Boots straight into Kodi. Plug USB storage in and you are good to go.

For CoreELEC, well see post #1, devices suggested there are known to work well with that OS which boots straight into Kodi. The X96 Air being the cheapest. Suggested wireless remotes are also in Post #1.
(2020-11-03, 04:13)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If you want Plug n Play then the Vero 4K fits that requirement. Well supported and includes a wireless remote. Boots straight into Kodi. Plug USB storage in and you are good to go.

I like the Vero 4k alot, but am put off by the USB 2.0 slots instead of 3.0; can you recommend something similar that is "plug-n-play" with USB 3.0?
(2020-11-03, 17:27)iblank12 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-03, 04:13)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If you want Plug n Play then the Vero 4K fits that requirement. Well supported and includes a wireless remote. Boots straight into Kodi. Plug USB storage in and you are good to go.

I like the Vero 4k alot, but am put off by the USB 2.0 slots instead of 3.0; can you recommend something similar that is "plug-n-play" with USB 3.0?

Typically USB2 in the real world can transfer at approx 240Mbps, peak bitrates for 4K Bluray Rips are around 130Mbps
USB2 is more than sufficient to playback the highest bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips + accompanying HD audio you can get anywhere - without stuttering or any playback problems at all.

That has been well tested by Kodi users.

It's not as though, on a boat you are going to be Saving any massive files thru a USB2 port using a simple media player.
Saving data on to mass storage is where USB3 will be of great benefit with faster transfer speeds.
(2020-11-03, 17:50)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]It's not as though, on a boat you are going to be Saving any massive files thru a USB2 port using a simple media player.
Saving data on to mass storage is where USB3 will be of great benefit with faster transfer speeds.

Thats actually a really good point, the only time i would be really needing that is if i was transferring movies or something; thank you for all the help!
Hi,

To the party : " What exactly is Android TV (click)? Regular tablet Playstore Android Apps usually do not work properly on Android TV devices."

What do you mean ? Android apps work better on Android box than on Android TV? Or something else? Do you have any examples?

Thanks
(2020-11-13, 17:00)yougz Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

To the party : " What exactly is Android TV (click)? Regular tablet Playstore Android Apps usually do not work properly on Android TV devices."

What do you mean ? Android apps work better on Android box than on Android TV? Or something else? Do you have any examples?

Thanks

Android and Android TV are two different operating systems.  Android is optimised for tablets and phones, with a touch-based UI (which can also be controlled by a mouse or trackpad).

Android TV is optimised for use on TVs with a D-pad style remote contro for navigation - with a very different UIl.  

Many cheap 'Android' boxes design for use with TVs don''t use Android TV (Google's OS designed for use with TVs) and instead use Android (their OS designed for phones and tablets). As a result the experience can be frustrating - and require compromised 'Air Mouse' style remote controls, and phone/tablet apps running on a TV can be annoying.  

nVidia's Shield TV, Google's Chromecast with Google TV, and many Smart TVs use Android TV as their OS which is a much nicer user experience..

Android and Android TV have different versions of the Google Play App Store - with Android TV apps having a UI designed for a D-pad (Up/Down/Left/Right/OK/Back) controller rather than touch screen/mouse/trackpad.

The Android TV Google Play App Store will only offer you Android TV apps - not regular Android apps.  You CAN side load regular Android apps - but often the experience is compromised, you have to cope with landscape/portrait issues, remote control with the standard D-Pad remotes supplied with Android TV boxes is terrible and you have to add an additional Air mouse-style controller, or a real mouse or trackpad - and the end result can be really annoying...
Hi folks,  i have mecool m8s pro L , android tv os, android nougat 7.1.2, s912. i use it for kodi and other android apps. HD audio, both true hd and dts hd options are available and passthrough is possible to my denon HD audio capable receiver over hdmi  but both hd audio options are not available when i directly connect the mecool box to my tv or projector. ? REASON. kindly give your suggestions. kodi even does 7.1 pcm multichannel audio which it won't in many android tv boxes. on the other hand my odroid n2 coreelec kodi shows HD audio options when connected to my tv or projector or denon. thanks.
(2020-11-14, 09:49)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-13, 17:00)yougz Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Thanks

Android and Android TV are two different operating systems.  Android is optimised for tablets and phones, with a touch-based UI (which can also be controlled by a mouse or trackpad).

Android TV is optimised for use on TVs with a D-pad style remote contro for navigation - with a very different UIl.  

Many cheap 'Android' boxes design for use with TVs don''t use Android TV (Google's OS designed for use with TVs) and instead use Android (their OS designed for phones and tablets). As a result the experience can be frustrating - and require compromised 'Air Mouse' style remote controls, and phone/tablet apps running on a TV can be annoying.  

nVidia's Shield TV, Google's Chromecast with Google TV, and many Smart TVs use Android TV as their OS which is a much nicer user experience..

Android and Android TV have different versions of the Google Play App Store - with Android TV apps having a UI designed for a D-pad (Up/Down/Left/Right/OK/Back) controller rather than touch screen/mouse/trackpad.

The Android TV Google Play App Store will only offer you Android TV apps - not regular Android apps.  You CAN side load regular Android apps - but often the experience is compromised, you have to cope with landscape/portrait issues, remote control with the standard D-Pad remotes supplied with Android TV boxes is terrible and you have to add an additional Air mouse-style controller, or a real mouse or trackpad - and the end result can be really annoying...

Just one addition: most apps for tv content are available on normal Android, but were not always available on Android TV in the past years
I assume that has changed through the years, but that was one of the reasons for me to never have bought a Nvidia Shield as not all official VOD services from Dutch broadcasters were available on Android TV

If someone just wants to stream the big ones, like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Disney+ they should be good
If you want to use the VOD service of your nations tv broadcasters, or the IPTV services of your tv / internet provider, you should check if they have apps specific for Android TV

Again, I assume, this has changed for the better now, but it should be advised to check app availability
(2020-11-16, 19:59)tigersky Wrote: [ -> ]Hi folks,  i have mecool m8s pro L , android tv os, android nougat 7.1.2, s912. i use it for kodi and other android apps. HD audio, both true hd and dts hd options are available and passthrough is possible to my denon HD audio capable receiver over hdmi  but both hd audio options are not available when i directly connect the mecool box to my tv or projector. ? REASON. kindly give your suggestions.
@fritsch likely knows in more detail, but it is probably because Android Kodi checks for what the actual audio capabilities are of your HDMI connected audio receiver are first, and then allows such selections in Android Kodi's audio settings.

AMLogic Android v7.x Firmware has full IEC61937 audio compatibility, so you get all the Kodi HD audio passthrough options when connected to a Denon AVR.

Quote:on the other hand my odroid n2 coreelec kodi shows HD audio options when connected to my tv or projector or denon. thanks.
Yes CE Kodi just presents you with everything regardless of the audio receivers capabilities.

If you want to see what the actual audio capabilities are of your CE Kodi - HDMI connected audio receiver, then you SSH login in and issue this...
Code:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/aud_cap

W.
thanks wrxtasy for your prompt reply as usual. can you tell me which tv tuner to use with coreelec kodi in odroid n2 to watch live tv channels. I'm in INDIA. we HAVE subscribed to VIDEOCON DTH with a settop box not connected to kodi. can i use the same box or do i need to buy a new tuner. thanks once again.
Hello, which amlogic S905X2-X3 box do you recommend ?. Only for use by CoreELEC in its internal memory. Thank you
Hi there. I currently have a Vero 4k (not 4k+). It's pretty great for most of what I use, especially local files from USB but I do often play files based on one of my cloud servers and files from a network drive -  and it's here that it struggles with large 4k rips with high bitrates. Probably because it hasn't got the gigabit port. So what is the best option to play those types of files? Will a Vero 4k+ cut it? Or is it best to go for an N2+  ? Thanks.
(2020-11-19, 13:08)smallclone Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there. I currently have a Vero 4k (not 4k+). It's pretty great for most of what I use, especially local files from USB but I do often play files based on one of my cloud servers and files from a network drive -  and it's here that it struggles with large 4k rips with high bitrates. Probably because it hasn't got the gigabit port. So what is the best option to play those types of files? Will a Vero 4k+ cut it? Or is it best to go for an N2+  ? Thanks.

As advised on our forums, you could just use a USB Ethernet adapter (saving the need to upgrade) or mount the WebDAV share via fstab
(2020-11-18, 22:45)tigersky Wrote: [ -> ]thanks wrxtasy for your prompt reply as usual. can you tell me which tv tuner to use with coreelec kodi in odroid n2 to watch live tv channels. I'm in INDIA. we HAVE subscribed to VIDEOCON DTH with a settop box not connected to kodi. can i use the same box or do i need to buy a new tuner. thanks once again.

Not too familiar with it to be honest. But VIDEOCON DTH looks like they are using DVBS2 technology and I do not know if it's encrypted or not.
If it's encrypted then you will have no chance of getting any info about any Kodi/CoreELEC device to view such copy protected content.

If unencrypted, there are devices from MECOOL that have a DVBS2 tuner in them like the MECOOL K1 Pro, the CoreELEC forums has a bunch more info.
It's definitely not Plug n Play and you have to be real careful which hardware you choose for CoreELEC because DVB driver support can be spotty:

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/which-d...ec/5867/30

Honestly it probably cheaper and easier just getting a seperate device just for Kodi, and continuing to use the set top box for D2H vs going down the rabbit hole that DVBS2 & Kodi - all in the one box.