Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-09, 16:38)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]* wrxtasy * physically looks at the Play2 just to be sure..... yep.... there is no analog AV output socket on the Play2.

Even using USB2 DAC's is mostly troublesome with the old Linux Kernels on LE AMLogic gear, unless you find someone using a specific DAC without issues.
The C2's HiFi Shield2 had reports of it working out of the box on early versions of LE 7.x Jarvis.
I have not seen test reports for quite a while now with recent versions. It would pay to ask on the HardKernel forums if interested.
That is strange. According to the manual and Wetek helpdesk the play2 has av out, composite+analog audio. They have a 17 mm jack to 3x rca cable for it. Only the Hub does not have av out.

I saw volumio has out of the box support for the hifi shield 2, thats good enough for me at the moment. Movie audio can be through hdmi.

Any idea how complete end useable vanilla kernel 4.10 is at the moment? I am more interested what is still missing than what is finished. I saw an experimental test kernel already.
(2017-01-06, 11:49)JustAnotherUser Wrote: [ -> ]Surely your answer lies in post #1 ?

Uhm..ok. Guess I'll go back and try and figure things out.
(2017-01-06, 11:27)karelj Wrote: [ -> ]Ok..I've had to deal with some irritating and soul sucking stuff in my life hence my lack of a followup. I've been reading as many relevant topics and posts that I can, but I'm still a bit lost. I would have preferred to figure this stuff out on my own without having to ask redundant questions, but it is time to swallow my pride.
My needs:
HD Audio passthrough of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS, DTS-HD MA
Play my Blu Ray rips, MKVs, M2TS in full 1080p
Expandable MicroSD storage up to at least 64gb and/or the ability to connect an external hard drive via usb
$100.00 max.

No 4K tv or 4K compatible AVR, so I can live without that.
Solution - use LibreELEC Kodi with....

AMLogic S905 - ODROID C2 with a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 UHS-1 micro SDHC for superior 4K R/W performance. This will run off any USB - 2 Amp Phone Charger. Only extra really needed then is a case to house the board.
The External Hard drive will have to have its own seperate power pack or a seperate powered USB Hub will need to be use for HDD reliability.

You can use Lirc to program and use you own IR remote control or simply use HDMI-CEC control with the TV or AVR's remote.

Other options in this $100 market space are the 1GB WeTek Hub that works well now we have the LibreELEC memory leak problem fixed. Its AMLogic Android Lollipop Firmware will be better than any other Android AML device on the market, you can also tinker and run a Android TV OS ROM. You get easy dual boot with the Hub, its a nice flexible little device.

Ultimately a Wireless remote control like the MINIX A2 Lite when combined with the devices above works really well. No mini lags & missed IR button presses then. Once you have gone wireless its then very hard to go back to Infra Red only control. Wink

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton for these AML S905 devices is looking really nice, now we are in the final phases of testing. Smile
I am looking for a box to suplement my Mede8er which can play any normal 1080P files any size including Full HD but cannot play 265 files.

I have been following this thread but i am still not sure if the HUB can play 1080P Full HD files including 265 ones.

Would there be a better option than the HUD without paying silly money.
The Hub running LibreELEC will decode up to 10bit 2160p 150Mb/s HEVC (files) when I tested last. It will breeze through 8/10bit 1080p HEVC stuff using Android Kodi and LE. AC WiFi is plenty fast enough as well for 1080p Bluray .ISO Rips.
(2017-01-10, 17:07)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The Hub running LibreELEC will decode up to 10bit 2160p 150Mb/s HEVC (files) when I tested last. It will breeze through 8/10bit 1080p HEVC stuff using Android Kodi and LE. AC WiFi is plenty fast enough as well for 1080p Bluray .ISO Rips.

Just what I needed to know. thanks very much.

Just a thought, would maybe a Zidoo X9S be any better or should I stick with the Hub
the play 2 have any problem playing x265 1080p rips? my chromebox does it but doesnt seem to like it
Hi,
Running Jarvis 16.1 every time it updates the unit will crash and factory reset is there a way to fix this problem so it would not continuely to wipe factory reset?
(2017-01-10, 22:14)gotthis2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Running Jarvis 16.1 every time it updates the unit will crash and factory reset is there a way to fix this problem so it would not continuely to wipe factory reset?
Wrong thread. Please start a new one in the support area and provide a debug log (wiki), as well as explain what you mean by 'updates'.
(2017-01-10, 21:12)leo5111 Wrote: [ -> ]the play 2 have any problem playing x265 1080p rips? my chromebox does it but doesnt seem to like it
The only combo that is going to give trouble playing 10bit HEVC (H265) content using Kodi is devices running AMLogic Android Marshmallow 6.0 Firmware (unless AMLogic have fixed this), which is virtually all of the cheap AMLogic S905/S912 devices selling right now. 8bit HEVC is fine. You can use the MX Player Android App to work around this to 10bit HEVC Kodi playback issue. That is not ideal however.

Stick with Android Lollipop or run LibreELEC Kodi on S905's and you will not have any issues. All HEVC content will be Hardware decoded.
Avoid the AML S912 devices all together. Don't get suckered in by fancy tech specs and bullshit advertising.

The Play2 runs Android Lollipop and LibreELEC Kodi.
Your Chromebox is CPU Software decoding HEVC content and running out of CPU ponies to do the job properly.
ok thanks, does 10 bit decoding work good if i just install LibreELEC as standalone im figureing yes, or does XBMC run smooth enough in android i can just run it in android?
As I already said because WeTek Android devices are running Android Lollipop there are no problems with 10bit HEVC decoding..
LibreELEC has no issues at all with any HEVC. LE is faster and smoother than Android Kodi.

I've also just done a Firmware update on a Android Marshmallow 6.0 Xiaomi Mi Box a minute ago and that has fixed the 10bit HEVC playback problems when using SPMC (Kodi). Its a pity Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching is still broken however on the Mi Box.
(2017-01-11, 03:59)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]As I already said because WeTek Android devices are running Android Lollipop there are no problems with 10bit HEVC decoding..
LibreELEC has no issues at all with any HEVC. LE is faster and smoother than Android Kodi.

I've also just done a Firmware update on a Android Marshmallow 6.0 Xiaomi Mi Box a minute ago and that has fixed the 10bit HEVC playback problems when using SPMC (Kodi). Its a pity Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching is still broken however on the Mi Box.

Where did you get the firmware for the Mi Box?
Android Settings > About > System Update > Check for Update Smile
(2017-01-11, 04:36)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Android Settings > About > System Update > Check for Update Smile

Thanks, I rarely use my Mi box, too many issues.