Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how to skip comercials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way I can record TV and automatically skip the adds? I am under the impression this is totally broken and has been for some time, is this correct?
I currently already have comskip generating it files but have no way to make kodi use them.
As far as I know, there are only some issues with MPlayer-style EDL (wiki) files, and only when seeking. Comskip files should still work totally fine.
if I play the same video from file manager or from recorded TV/videos and press "O" the EDL: says "edl:-" for the recorded tv or video but says "edl:B11S22" for the file manager version, doesn't this show that the skipping info was not read for the live TV? I already have the EDL file disabled (added .xxx to the extension) so it would have to be based on the remaining .txt file
either way pressing up/down doesn't seem to reliably skip to the markers, possibly does sometimes
Moved to the OS independent section
I use mcebuddy. Take a look works well.
(2015-12-21, 07:27)mrkaras Wrote: [ -> ]if I play the same video from file manager or from recorded TV/videos and press "O" the EDL: says "edl:-" for the recorded tv or video but says "edl:B11S22" for the file manager version, doesn't this show that the skipping info was not read for the live TV? I already have the EDL file disabled (added .xxx to the extension) so it would have to be based on the remaining .txt file
either way pressing up/down doesn't seem to reliably skip to the markers, possibly does sometimes

I use DVBLink as my PVR back end. Playback from recorded TV is streamed from the back end software whereas files played through Videos/File Manager use the KODI player. KODI does not 'see' the file system from which files are streamed so does not implement the .EDL files. That's why they have no effect when playing from recorded TV in my system and, I suspect, yours.

Andy
I use media portal as the backend and I believe with its current (default) settings it actually plays via a file share.
However, it gets stranger, we recorded 2 movies last night and played them today, one skipped the commercials (and the edl indicator showed something) and the other didn't (with EDL:-). I have never had a problem with mediaportal skipping the adds reasonably accurately so although I haven't checked I'm confident comskip would have worked. Also, I have not applied the workaround for making the EDL files work, so I would expect these 2 recording to have the non-working EDL style yet one worked.

doesn't mcebuddy actually modify the files, removing the commercials, just seems a bit risky, if comskip gets it wrong I may loose a chunk of the recording rather than just having to skip back a bit. all seems a lot of unnecessary work too. Also, I believe mediaportal stores the recording in a database, if I change the file names that will get broken, perhaps not an issue if Kodi just reads the files anyway.
Don't use Media Portal, so have no direct experience.

This thread in the Media Portal forum might help: 2137222 (post)
This has been covered before, but basically if you are watching from Kodi in any "streaming" mode, the comskip files will not be read and commercials will not be skipped. But if you watch in file mode, it skips just fine. I'm using NextPVR for my DVR and most of my commercials are happily skipped.
I think it is OK. the file I were testing with didn't seem to work but in general it normally does. the left and right arrows keys are badly broken however and do nothing sensible, skipping in seemingly random amounts in random directions, pressing left near the start of the movie may skip to the very end.