Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video stutter issue on Win10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Setup:
Kodi version 16 beta 4 (I had the same problems occurring with 15.2 and 16 beta 1, 2 and 3 - the log file is for 3 but I've just updated to beta 4 and the problem persists)
Windows 10 version 1511 (10586.36) 64 bit
Intel i5-2400S x64
4gb ram
Video card: onboard Intel HD Graphics (the motherboard is an Intel DH67CF)

Media PC linked to a Yamaha amp which in turn links to a Sony TV.

Problem
Intermittent video problems that manifest in one of 3 ways. 1 I haven't been able to reproduce to order, 1 I've fixed (but never used to be an issue) and 1 is repeatable and I can't fix. I should also note that some videos work fine and run from start to finish with no issues.

Problem 1: some videos randomly pause mid playback, then stop and I get dropped back to the library interface - in these instances I am able to start playing the file again and pickup from a few seconds before it stopped but this usually takes 10-15 seconds to load the file. This happens with both SD and HD (720p and 1080p) content and at no fixed / repeatable point during playback - some are within a few minutes of starting, some are in the middle and some are a few minutes from the end.

Problem 2: playback of .ts files (I use ArgusTV to record Freesat channels here in the UK) has suddenly become very poor with lots of artifacts showing although disabling DXVA2 acceleration seems to have fixed that.

Problem 3: the only repeatable problem - in some HD video files the video freezes temporarily but the audio continues. The first time I encountered this problem was watching Kingsman - the film starts playing fine but then the video pauses for maybe 1-2 seconds whilst the audio continues, then the video speeds up to catch up. I have the same problem with Big Hero 6 (at about 2 minutes and 15 seconds in - it is this one that I've played back to produce the attached log file).

These are all problems that I've encountered since updating to Win10 - Kodi on Win7 was fine. I did step this machine back to Win7 recently for other reasons (Win10 didn't remove MSE and wouldn't let me uninstall it either) but after I'd gone back to Win7 the third problem continued to occur so I went back to 10.

I have Win10 working fine with these same video files on a different PC so it must be something on my media center PC, but I'm running out of ideas.

I've tried to update the video drivers but Windows tells me I'm using the latest and can only find one other driver package on the Intel website. The PC is a fanless unit with no spare space for a video card so I'm not able to bypass the on board graphics.

I did think I'd solved this briefly once before when I uninstalled Kodi, removed the userdata folder and reinstalled. Everything seemed OK for a test but later that day the problems returned.

I've tried toggling all the video settings to see whether disabling or changing anything there has any impact and as noted above, other than disabling DXVA2 acceleration fixing problem 2, problem 3 remains and as problem 1 is intermittent I haven't been testing it with every setting change.

Playback of these files woks fine with VLC on the same machine and so that has been my fallback position so far.

Log file: http://goo.gl/KWdwhv
Video file details: http://pastebin.com/A4yifc6M

Thanks,
Guy
So I'm back to 15.2 as a fresh Kodi install testing Emby as a backend. But the same video playback problems continue with the built in player.
The specs of the hardware seem like it should be suffice (the onboard graphics is probably the only area where you are being let down).

Your log file is also broken for me. Is your media local, networked (wireless or wired)?
Sorry, my log file upload must have expired and I can't find it at the mo - I'll try to run up a fresh file tonight.

Media are networked on NAS boxes, wired via powerline networking. I have no problems accessing the media from a different PC running the same version of Kodi and Windows, so it's either the network cable to my HTPC or it's the HTPC itself, I think. If it was just problem 1, I'd assume network cable (I did change that recently) but problem 3 being the same points in certain videos suggests something else to me.
OK, just found the log file and re-uploaded it: http://goo.gl/7HR6lV

Thanks.